Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2009 9:54:43 AM EDT
Every morning I am awakened by multiple woodpeckers pecking the hell out of my house. The time for them to die is now. Here is my detailed plan drawn out in MS Paint.

I am going to nail multiple mouse traps on the wood on my porch where the bastards are drilling. Bait the traps with bacon and sit back and watch them die.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#1]
pellet gun
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Woodpeckers are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  I recommend against your intended course of action.

They are probably seeking food and their attention to your house may indicate the presence of rotten/deteriorated trim and/or siding.  Consider inspecting and replacing/repairing.  A distraction/decoy piece of dead wood is often effective.  If you have a portion of your yard where a log can be placed they may prefer it.

If death is ultimately necessary there are probably local permits that will keep you legal rather than in violation of the MBTA.

They may be pecking to make a home in which case placing a few nesting boxes should resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
8/10
-3 because your woodpeckers look like mosquitos

+1 because you wrote wood peckers instead of woodpeckers in the ms paint
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you considered torching your home? P.S. Enjoyed the diagram, very detailed.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a bunch of those glue traps that are used for mice. Place these traps  where the woodpeckers will peck. Instant glued woodpecker!

(Someone get us a MS Paint for this!)
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My neighbor was in the same situtation, but with only one woodpecker.

After being woken up numerous times, he had finally had enough.  

He grabbed his 870 in the wee hours of the morning, and let one loose at the bird, only problem was he had 00 in the tube.

He got the woodpecker, but also a good portion of the roof eave, which he hasn't fixed yet.

Every time I see it, I still get a chuckle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#7]
You have bugs in or behind the siding, fix that as the woodpeckers are just s symptom of the real problem.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]

wood pecker ack ack gun
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I once had the same problem. He was rappin on the gutter, I scared him off once. He came back. I went out there with a pellet gun and dropped him and went back to bed. No lie. This was when I was about 15 or so. They are annoying bastards
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one pecking on the vent of my hot water heater.

The heater is in a closet that shares a wall with my bedroom.

Damn thing sounded like a jackhammer, I had NOT idea WTF was going on.

Kinda weird looking one, too.  Brown and squaty.

Saw a red headed pileated woodpecker around here, maybe that was the female.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Woodpeckers are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  I recommend against your intended course of action.

They are probably seeking food and their attention to your house may indicate the presence of rotten/deteriorated trim and/or siding.  Consider inspecting and replacing/repairing.  A distraction/decoy piece of dead wood is often effective.  If you have a portion of your yard where a log can be placed they may prefer it.

If death is ultimately necessary there are probably local permits that will keep you legal rather than in violation of the MBTA.

They may be pecking to make a home in which case placing a few nesting boxes should resolve the issue.

I'm not really going to kill the wood peckers. This thread is a scenario in case they drop from the endangered species list.

Quoted:
You have bugs in or behind the siding, fix that as the woodpeckers are just s symptom of the real problem.

I thought that. But they are pecking at treated 2x6's. The wood is not rotten and never gets wet. It was in perfect condition. I wouldn't think there would be a bug problem in that wood. But it is possible. They are also pecking at the metal roof and gutters so maybe there is some kind of bugs up there. I did have my house checked for termites last year before I moved in. I also get a general pest prevention spray monthly. I live back in the woods. The bastard wood peckers are everywhere.

Quoted:
My neighbor was in the same situtation, but with only one woodpecker.

After being woken up numerous times, he had finally had enough.  

He grabbed his 870 in the wee hours of the morning, and let one loose at the bird, only problem was he had 00 in the tube.

He got the woodpecker, but also a good portion of the roof eave, which he hasn't fixed yet.

Every time I see it, I still get a chuckle.

LOL. My GF wakes me up at 6:00am telling me there is someone knocking at the front door. Then you realize a bird is destroying your house. Pretty hard to fall a sleep after that. Time to get some pie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I got rid of the pecking on my chimmeny cap by fixing the water leak that was attracting the bugs that attracted the woodpeckers. Now they just peck at the bugs in the rotten trees next door, for which I am very grateful for.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

SCREW the migratory bird treaty!  I have them too and they are tearing the hell out of my fascia on the front of my house.  my FORMED,  FIBERGLASS FILLED fascia!

there's holes all through it!  it's not even wood and easy to fix.

damn wood peckers!
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#15]
They're protected under federal law and you need a depradation permit to kill them, so I wouldn't go admitting anything in an open internet thread.  
Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#16]
this is so full of lol

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Wrong.  

They peck on anything they feel like pecking.  More importantly, the pecking is also how they get pussy.

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  

They peck on anything they feel like pecking.  More importantly, the pecking is also how they get pussy.

Mmmmmmm, iz be havin an idear
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#19]
"Birdshot"
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Woodpeckers on your house means you need to contact a pest exterminator.  You've got gooks in your wire.  (Bugs in the wood.)

You should thank the woodpeckers for alerting you to the problem.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#21]
It is not always to find food.  They "drum" to attract a mate. That's why they drum on metal objects, it's louder.  You can get a permit to kill them.  There is also lots of physical and chemical deterrents.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Check your state laws... Shooting wood peckers in FL is illegal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Check your state laws... Shooting wood peckers in FL is illegal.

Spoil sport!...There's always one in the crowd...Shoot it anyway, that's why you have a gun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top