Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 3:34:05 PM EDT
OK I hope nobody beat me to it this time (didn't see anything yet)....

[url]http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,50723,00.html[/url]

[i]
WASHINGTON -- Dell Computers is under fire from gun aficionados after it refused to sell a laptop to a handgun maker.

The flap began when Jack Weigand, the president of the American Pistolsmiths Guild, ordered a Dell Inspiron 4100 notebook on Feb. 13, with a promised delivery date of Feb. 21. When the date came and went, Weigand phoned Dell to find out what the problem was.

What he eventually learned astounded him: Weigand would not be shipped his PC because of the name of his business, Weigand Combat Handguns, which is located in Mountaintop, Pennsylvania. Dubbed a "Renaissance gunsmith" by American Handgunner, Weigand is known for crafting high-quality, custom revolvers.

It turns out that a manager in Dell's (DELL) export compliance department flagged the shipment as a purchase that was prohibited under U.S. law. Weigand was told that his order had been canceled because, in these post-Sept. 11 days, the name of his company sounded a bit too terroristic for comfort's sake.

Weigand wrote a brief description of his unsuccessful attempt to buy that Inspiron 4100 on his website -- and within hours, his note began to ricochet around the Internet communities of firearms enthusiasts and Second Amendment devotees.
[/i]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
And he didn't take the freebie they offered him.  Way to go Mr. Weigand!  Two BIG thumbs up from me![beer]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That should show companies that if you mess with us gun owners, you will soon have a shit storm on your hands.  Good going everyone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That should show companies that if you mess with us gun owners, you will soon have a shit storm on your hands.
View Quote

That is the most eloquent thing I've read all day.[:D]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it sums the outcome up pretty well.  Besides, I'm not known for eloquence.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#7]
someone posted this at glocktalk.com
[url]http://www.progressivefunds.com/hci/[/url]
Dell donates to HCI
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
And the interesting thing about the Wired article is that it's written by Declan McCullagh.  I met him at the NRA range one time where he and his girlfriend were shooting 'her' (because he lived in DC and she lived in VA) new Bushmaster Dissipator.  It was having some reliability issues and I suggested that it needed a good cleaning and referred him to this site for information on cleaning and troubleshooting.  

Maybe there's a reason that Wired picked up on this story...
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It's amazing how fast this situation became such a big deal. Just goes to show you how powerful the internet can be.  Maybe this will show companies that they should think before they piss off gun owners.
"Don't make me make you!"[:(!]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
someone posted the story at Sturmgewher too.
[url]http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/general.cgi?read=14124[/url]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Dell gave the man a reasonable explanation and an apology and offered him a free computer. I hope anyone who sent emails to Dell criticizing them will send them retractions. It was an honest mistake by what appears to be an honorable company owned by a fair minded man.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=96785[/url]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dell gave the man a reasonable explanation and an apology and offered him a free computer. I hope anyone who sent emails to Dell criticizing them will send them retractions. It was an honest mistake by what appears to be an honorable company owned by a fair minded man.
View Quote

Maybe you didn't see or realize that Dell has given computers to HCI in the past.  Sounds like an anti gun agenda that they couldn't stand behind this time.  This is the last Dell I buy.  My friend ordered a Gateway today after cancelling HER order for a Dell.  Screw Dell, they don't deserve our business.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#13]
So we must all live in the wild foraging for food wearing only the skin that God gave us for fear that some of our money might end up in the hands of people who don't like guns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your missing the point Suckebe....look at the above link.  They support HCI.  When companies do this we can only do one thing, vote with our money and let them know they are pissing us off.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So we must all live in the wild foraging for food wearing only the skin that God gave us for fear that some of our money might end up in the hands of people who don't like guns.
View Quote

I think it is wise and prudent not to give money to your enemies, when there are reasonable alternatives.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#16]

What reasonable explanation???  They blamed it on US Export laws, to Pennsylvania!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
You might view Dell's response as honorable but it is just spin.  They blather about export regulations and then when pressed have no real answer.  To try and buy back some goodwill with a free computer may be smart but it doesn't qualify for honorable.  The fact that Dell products are on an HCI shopping site is not good news but by itself is not a litmus test failure.  What is a failure is their obvious squirming over this which leads me to believe they feel the safer side of the issue is anti and that they have no issue except selling computers.  If you cannot hold a view when it is unpopular then you are just an opportunist.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Your missing the point Suckebe....look at the above link.  They support HCI.  When companies do this we can only do one thing, vote with our money and let them know they are pissing us off.
View Quote

I think I get the point. Don't buy anything from a company that is anti gun or any company that  may employ people who are anti gun. Don't buy from companies who do business with companies who are anti gun or may employ people who are anti gun. Don't associate with people who are anti gun or may themselves associate with people who are anti gun. live your life focused on one single issue and think about nothing else lest other pro gun people might believe they are more pro gun than you. Think exactly like you do or be something less than you. Is that about right? I thought so. BTW it's [b]Sukebe[/b] not Suckebe or is that a lame attempt to insult me? Surely a person of your intellect can do better than that. Please tell me that is not all you have in you bag of wit. Are you so empty headed that the only insult you can come up with is a sophomoric play on words?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
It's also in the Washington Post website

[URL]http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/174830.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
And the interesting thing about the Wired article is that it's written by Declan McCullagh.  I met him at the NRA range one time where he and his girlfriend were shooting 'her' (because he lived in DC and she lived in VA) new Bushmaster Dissipator.  It was having some reliability issues and I suggested that it needed a good cleaning and referred him to this site for information on cleaning and troubleshooting.  

Maybe there's a reason that Wired picked up on this story...
View Quote

Doesn't this belong in the "15 minutes of fame" thread...[;)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was listening to the Brian Wilson show last night and he made a good point.  If we can get the shooting community this fired up over the Dell incident, why can't we get the same energy put into defeating bad legislation and freedom-robbing politicians?

Makes sense to me.  If you don't like what Dell did, give your business to someone else - no big deal.  Don't like what the gov. is doing, well, too bad.
View Quote

Now is the time to get off yur asses and get to work. Don't like it then change it, get a new government.  Work to get the Perattas and the Boxers and the Fiensteins out of office.  Let people know  what these people are about and it is not the people's interest.  It will take long hours and hard work.

The question is are you ambitious enough to make it happen.  Do you have the guts to make it stick.

__________________________________________________________________________________
Thump a democrat -- they deserve it![stick]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#23]
The NRA's Institute of Legislation Action maintains an extensive [url=http://www.nraila.org/FactSheets.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=15]list of companies[/url] with PROVEN anti-gun connections. Dell isn't on it (yet!). Since the NRA isn't known for flying off the handle with every new internet rumor, I'm reserving judgement on this particular case until I see some verifiable evidence (and yes, I'm aware of Dell's alleged fundraising connections to HCI, which also were apparently not credible enough to land them on the NRA list).

Going off half-cocked can do just as much damage to the RKBA cause as ignoring an important issue. Never fire until you're certain of your target, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I was going to buy a Dell,  Not any more... or anyone in my family if I can help it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#25]
It's also in the Austin American-Statesman:

[url]http://www.austin360.com/statesman/editions/friday/business_1.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Gateway CEO Ted Waite contributed $100,000 to pass Prop. 39 in CA, which made it easier to pass property tax increases.  In Jan. of this year Moody's cut Gateway's credit rating to "junk" status.

So IMHO Gateway is out of favor too for putting the burden of taxes on property owners.

Personally I wouldn't vote for any tax increase or bond issue not matter what it is for, yes even gun safety.  If SS funds are used to balance the budget and kept off the books federally and my state gas taxes are used the same way, obviously we have a trust issue that only starvation will cure.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey Dude!  Dell can go to hell!  

Many of the companies on that list are KNOWN leftist and anti second ammendment.

Why should we put the burden on ourselves to "prove" any accused company isn't our enemy?  Why??  If they want our business they can prove to us that they are indeed pro second ammenment! Prove it!  Otherwise my money goes elsewhere.  The onus is on the seller. Not the buyer.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Sales Filter
Software Helps U.S. Companies Avoid Selling to Terrorists

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/scitech/TechTV/techtv_softwarescreen020301.html

"Companies that use Vastera's product include [b]Dell Computer[/b], Microsoft, Lucent Technologies, and Novell."

The headline was a sidebar to another ABCNews article lined in another thread about the pissy French and their opinion of the US (can you say "As IF?)

Now THIS is AR15.com [blue][i]synergy[/i][/blue]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top