Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 6:54:31 AM EDT
Major Assassination Plot By Montana Militia Discovered
'Project Seven' Apparently Planned To Kill Many

POSTED: 8:37 a.m. EST February 28, 2002

KALISPELL, Montana -- Charges are expected to be filed soon in a case involving a Montana militia group and an alleged massive assassination plot.

Flathead County Sheriff Jim Dupont said a group calling itself "Project Seven" was apparently planning to kill as many judges, prosecutors and police officers as possible. Officials said they found a huge cache of weapons -- including 30,000 rounds of ammunition.

Dupont said the amount of ammunition indicates "there was going to be big trouble." As he puts it, "it didn't take 30,000 rounds of ammo to kill a turkey."

He said the apparent plan was to kill enough officials to force the state to call in the National Guard.

Dupont said the militia then hoped to kill enough National Guard troops to catch the federal government's attention and start a full-scale escalation.

It's not clear how many people belong to the group. Dupont said it was headed by a man who was arrested earlier this month after an armed standoff.

Later

IAJack

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Why do they call these terrorist groups militias?

Terrorists by definition use force to acheive political goals.

Militias are there to DEFEND our country.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#3]
only 30,000 rounds.... [rolleyes]

amateurs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
A better question is why do these terrorist groups call themsleves militia?

As for who these bozos in Montana are/were...probubly a group of assaultweb posters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
They should have planned to round up the congressmen who declared war against the constitution, by voting for the Campaign finance bill limiting free speech before elections.

You call them nuts, but the media and general public think you are just as nutty.

Dupont said the amount of ammunition indicates "there was going to be big trouble." As he puts it, "it didn't take 30,000 rounds of ammo to kill a turkey."
View Quote

Hey jackass Sherrif, why do you think people stock ammo for hunting?  The second ammendment is not related to hunting, it is to keep our government in check and to defend our borders as necessary.

Terrorists by definition use force to acheive political goals.

Militias are there to DEFEND our country.
View Quote

These guys are just a bit off track, but Our country is in greater danger from enemies within, more than from Islamic terrorists from the outside.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Good thing they don't come to my house if 30k rounds creeps them out.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#7]
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,46752,00.html[/url]

story on Foxnews.com
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Just how many of these asshole were there. My guess would be 5 to 10.  Granted the NG probably isn't the most proficent group of guys but how many did they think they could kill?

These are the type of assholes that are going to make us all lose our right to own firearms.  Funny these guys seem to cause the problems they are trying to prevent or fight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got off the phone with John Trochmann, (Militia of Montana), This guy, (Dave Burgert), was NOT affiliated with his group. John spoke of him as a "loose cannon". John, (my interpretation of what he said), said he believes the allegations may be true, and the guy, (ex-marine), was probably capapable of following through with his plan (or attempting it any how). There's more details, but I'm a slow typist.......
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just how many of these asshole were there. My guess would be 5 to 10.  Granted the NG probably isn't the most proficent group of guys but how many did they think they could kill?

These are the type of assholes that are going to make us all lose our right to own firearms.  Funny these guys seem to cause the problems they are trying to prevent or fight.
View Quote

Them assholes!  It must be true, I read it on the internet!  Them assholes!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#11]
OH BTW, it is not a "group", John said most "patriots" were keeping away from this guy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I belive that I have 2.4 "TURKEYS" worth of ammunition in storage. JarheadGunner.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Granted the NG probably isn't the most proficent group of guys but how many did they think they could kill?
View Quote

Considering the NG usually deploys without ammo, and then stands around with their hands in their pockets & smoking cigarettes, they probubly thought they could kill all of them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you really have to ask this?  A little obvious, ain't it?  [:|]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#15]
jarheadgunner, Hahah, I like it.  

This weekend we will probably shoot of 1 Turkey of ammo at the VA shoot.  I'll be bringing at least 1/10th of a Turkey myself counting 22lr ammo.  

Pssst, hey bud...  How many Turkeys do you have stored?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#16]
[img]http://www.foxnews.com/images/49202/1_21_022802_montana.jpg[/img]

looks like they had some pretty nice looking m14's

That's not a very big pile for 5-10 guys.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually, the conspiracy is nationwide, they just haven't caught the rest of the cells yet.  I'm supposed to activate right after the MT attacks.  Now I have to wait for the next round instead.  :-(

Here's rooting for the 'er, uh, good guys?  Which is which?  I can't tell anymore.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I think you failed to see my sarcasm.

But just in case....

A Militia is a standing army of private citizens who are called upon only to defend our counrty in a time of war.

A terrorist group on the other hand is what the group in Montana was. They were trying to bring about political change by killing members of the current government.

There needs to be a distiction between the two. They are NOTHING alike.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

But just in case....

A Militia is a standing army of private citizens who are called upon only to defend our counrty in a time of war.

A terrorist group on the other hand is what the group in Montana was. They were trying to bring about political change by killing members of the current government.

View Quote

I see, so Sam Adams and his ilk were "terrorists". I'm sure king George would have agreed with you.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#20]
The funniest thing is guys is do you think they conceder all of us a militant? I think they do.

Just look at us all we have about 20,000 people who are members or post on this board. All of are Pro-gun Pro-construction and willing to fight for are right's even if it means starting a new revolution. Right? Think about it were are fighting a soft war right now trying to keep are right's and when if fails in are courts and are law's what else if left for us to do.

With over 20,000 member's I'd say we could beat that 30,000 rounds easily. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"it didn't take 30,000 rounds of ammo to kill a turkey."
View Quote

Ouch, I've got 4 times that right now.  Oops, better not say that, THEY might be watching  [xx(] Besides, I hunt Moose & that means I need more ammo than a bitty turkey!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#22]
New unit of measurement? 30K rounds = 1 TURKEY.
Shit, man, I'm WAY behind!
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#23]
you im probly going to get flamed for this

but one sides terriosts is anothers freedom fighters

anwayi dont agree with what this group was planning and im glad they got busted. killing our troops is cool. u want to change the law get off your ass and vote,contribute time/money to groups that agree with u.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.foxnews.com/images/49202/1_21_022802_montana.jpg[/img]

That's not a very big pile for 5-10 guys.
View Quote

That's exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with John Trochmann, (Militia of Montana), This guy, (Dave Burgert), was NOT affiliated with his group. John spoke of him as a "loose cannon". John, (my interpretation of what he said), said he believes the allegations may be true, and the guy, (ex-marine), was probably capapable of following through with his plan (or attempting it any how). There's more details, but I'm a slow typist.......
View Quote

I met John Trochmann and Bob Fletcher once at a Preparedness Expo. Very nice guys, not the raving racists as the media continually tried to portray them as. IIRC Trochman even did a lecture with J.J. Johnson (back when he was the head of the Ohio militia).  

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#26]
SCHV said:

But just in case....

View Quote

WTF are you talking about.  The 2nd Amen is as much about being able to fight a tyrannical govt as it is to defend against foreign invaders.

Give me a break, "The tree of Liberty needs to be refreshed now and again with the blood of patriots and tyrannts"

You should work within the framework of current laws until they ignore what the Constitution says.  At that time the so-called US Govt is AN ENEMY OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!!!

The time is not at hand for this, so I am not supporting these guys plans.  However I do not agree that there is never a time to take up arms against ones Govt if it becomes tyrannical
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

John is a pretty nice guy. They have been buying my Army FMs on CD ROM from me and selling them at gun shows. Never noticed anything wierd abouthim or his brother.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Talked to my brother last night whom lives in Kalispell. He says that Dave Burgert is always in trouble and kind of a dipshit. When he staged his death he left a fishing pole by the water. I believe it was Flathead Lake. When things were found they knew he wasn't dead. The pole was there with the line in the water but no lure or hook on the line and nothing else. Doesn't sound like a NASA employee. They figured it was staged so didn't say much to the press and new he was up to something so waited to see what he came up with next. He hangs with another guy whom drives around Kalispell with a bumper sticker that reads Bob says f**k Californians and waits for a Kali tourist to flip him off or say something then runs them down and gets in their face. Would be kinda amusing to watch I guess. My brothers partner is from Kali and always says he is gonna kick this Bob's ass. My brother tells him to pack a big lunch cause this Bob is about 60 but a tough mean looking SOB.
    On another note Sheriff Jim Dupont is a prick also. A guy my brother knows purchased a C3 Mac I think and went into his office to have him sign a form. He told my brother that Mr. Dupont preceeded to tell him what he thought of civies and MACHINE GUNS. He did finally sign it and threw it back at the guy. So if he has that attitude about C3 that pretty well explains his take on the 30,000 rd thing. Suppose he was elected by all the Kalis that moved to Kalispell. Sounds to me like if they shot each other in an old west gunfight everybody might be happy. Not anti LEO so don't burn me out, just talking out of my ***.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I am so sick & GD tired of these "militia's" thinking they're going to instigate the second Revolution.

The vast majority have probably never been in the military, they ones that have probably never made it thru basic & the ones that did were probably either Air Force or motor pool types.

Quite frankly, I would instantly take a dozen veterans from my gun club, arm up & take on any 50 of these "militia" bozos. I wonder how fast they'd wet their pants at the first shot whizzing by their heads?

The sad thing is, neutrals associate these bozos with the NRA and/or gun owners. Sigh.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quite frankly, I would instantly take a dozen veterans from my gun club, arm up & take on any 50 of these "militia" bozos. I wonder how fast they'd wet their pants at the first shot whizzing by their heads?

View Quote

Kind of a broad statement there "Bob".....
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Bob Cole
Beat up on the militia all you want. That "motor pool types" comment is uncalled for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#32]
What we got in the papers over here on the other side of the Rockies is that those guys were a bunch of scumbag criminal looking to get some revenge on a few LEO's, a judge, and a DA.

Your right about their stash also, not nearly enough for the 6-8 guys the paper says were involved. It's tough to buy decent guns and ammo with food stamps.

My father lives in Kalispell and is an avid gun collector, hunter and shooter and if 30K rounds of ammo scares the sheriff I hope he never goes to dads house. Fortunately over here our sheriff much more understanding.

As far as the Montana NG goes, I shoot highpower with a bunch of them and I would not want to run up against them in any kind of CQB. Most of them are Marines and many are current LEO's.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
ban judges and other officals.....for the militia's children.   [50]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a cousin that is Captain in the MT National Guard. They have some fully functional Mech Infantry Units.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

As much bravado as I've seen Bob display, I don't think he'd hold his water when the first bullet of returned fire came 20' from his head.

Now I ask you Bob...how would you change a government that you think has rejected the original ideals of our forefathers?  Vote in new politicians?  I AM NOT ADVOCATING VIOLENCE, but it seems that they are executing the 2nd Amendment right to organizing a militia against the gov.  I wonder if they'll use that defense at trial!  

Please don't get me wrong, these guys are scumbags and I hope I don't sound like I'm glorifying or justifying their actions, but people like them are what turned colonies into a nation.  (Althought these guys sounded like dumb bully types.)

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No doubt. But I see these yahoos at gunshows & on the news & I so sick of their whining & ranting about black UN helicopters, etc. etc.

I certainly have no respect for them & damn sure have no fear for them. But the problem is neutrals see them as representing gun owners at large.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bob Cole
Beat up on the militia all you want. That "motor pool types" comment is uncalled for.
View Quote

Kinda contradictory statement there of yours, too. >gg<

Or are you defending motor pool types?  >gg< What I meant was a guy spends his hitch in the Motor pool & comes back telling how it was storming Iwo Jima. No disrespect meant to the real motor pool guys on my part.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As much bravado as I've seen Bob display, I don't think he'd hold his water when the first bullet of returned fire came 20' from his head.

Now I ask you Bob...how would you change a government that you think has rejected the original ideals of our forefathers?  Vote in new politicians?  I AM NOT ADVOCATING VIOLENCE, but it seems that they are executing the 2nd Amendment right to organizing a militia against the gov.  I wonder if they'll use that defense at trial!  

Please don't get me wrong, these guys are scumbags and I hope I don't sound like I'm glorifying or justifying their actions, but people like them are what turned colonies into a nation.  (Althought these guys sounded like dumb bully types.)
View Quote

As for "standing my water", I have no doubt on that, partly due to my Marine Corps years, thankyouverymuch. Bravado on my part? I don't recal saying "I've been there, done that, kicked John Wayne's ass while I was there." In fact, I've never been in combat & quickly asay so.

As for "dumb bully types", you're partly correct on the "dumb" portion.

Again, anyone in one of these so-called "militia's" are, IMO, idiots.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Let me see if i have this right
30k rounds = 1 turkey
10 turkeys = 1 duck
10 ducks = 1 goose
10 geese = 1 google
Im close to having a google.........Bluemax
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 12:13:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Let me see if i have this right
30k rounds = 1 turkey
10 turkeys = 1 duck
10 ducks = 1 goose
10 geese = 1 google
Im close to having a google.........Bluemax
View Quote

I think you mean gaggle.  Google is a "1" with 100 zero's after it.

If you have a google of rounds... well.  That'd be a lot... [;)]

Viper Out

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bob Cole
View Quote

Yep - I doubt too many people would want to be out of ammo and find themselves facing someone who regularly lifted 5-ton truck tires and brake drums, or did any work on track suspensions & drivetrains!

Why is it that everyone else's gun club doesn't have the fat, non-shooting guys that I've seen at all of them I've been to? Hell, back at Ft Sill all it took was a little rain, snow, heat, or cold weather, and I had the place to myself on Saturdays!
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No doubt. But I see these yahoos at gunshows & on the news & I so sick of their whining & ranting about black UN helicopters, etc. etc.

I certainly have no respect for them & damn sure have no fear for them. But the problem is neutrals see them as representing gun owners at large.
View Quote

You see and hear exactly what the "media" wants you, (and everyone else), to see and hear. See it on the news, must be true eh? Are there morons around? NO more than any place else.... BTW, UN choppers aren't black Bob......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top