Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2002 12:52:26 AM EDT
On a Dell Inspiron 3800.

On that blue screen which appears during boot on Windows 2000 Professional.
[b]
STOP: c000026c {Unable to Load Device Driver}
\SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\ati2mpab.sys device driver could not be loaded.
Error Status was 0xc0000006

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows 2000 updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.  Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Refer to your Getting Started manual for more information on troubleshooting Stop errors.[/b]

WTF is all this?  If you "F8" it still won't let you enter "Safe Mode" or any other mode for that matter.  This really sucks!!!!

It looks like a video driver error of some sort.  My cousin didn't even add anything to it.

Total lockup!!!!  Computer now appears useless!!!!

Thanks...
[size=6]DELL SUCKS!!!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
btt because I think you're in a world of hurt.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
What was the last change/upgrade you made to the system? If this started happening after you changed something, it's should be pretty obvious what the problem is.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem is with your video card.  Either the driver itself is corrupted or the card has failed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On a Dell Inspiron 3800.

[b]
[/size=6]
View Quote

Did you change the screen resolution lately, or the number of colors diplayed?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:08:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried a system recovery?  Call Dell and have them walk you through it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

WTF is all this?  If you "F8" it still won't let you enter "Safe Mode" or any other mode for that matter.  This really sucks!!!!
View Quote

You can't hit F8 after you see the error message, you have to do it while the computer is booting - after the memory test and before Windoze starts.  Most people just start banging on the keyboard as soon as the BIOS hardware screen appears.

You can probably download a replacement driver from Dell's website or get it off of the CD (if they gave you one.)
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Boot to the Recovery Console...

[url]support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q229716&[/url]

And copy the offending file back to the hard drive from the driver CD.

-
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Boot to the Recovery Console...

[url]support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q229716&[/url]

And copy the offending file back to the hard drive from the driver CD.

-
View Quote

[size=6]WOW!...Thanks!!!![/size=6][beer][<]:)]

Never thought about that one.  I just used the "Emergency Repair" option and it worked.  

But does that mean the same problem will pop up again in the future?

Think I'll go download the latest video drivers.

Thanks again!!!!

UN1846

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What was the last change/upgrade you made to the system? If this started happening after you changed something, it's should be pretty obvious what the problem is.
View Quote

This is my cousin's notebook.  She never changed a thing.  She just know's how to turn it on and off.  Maybe she tried to DL something from the net and got a virus?  Nah, doesn't sound right, right?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a Dell Inspiron 3800.

[b]
[/size=6]
View Quote

Did you change the screen resolution lately, or the number of colors diplayed?
View Quote

Nope, no settings were changed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you tried a system recovery?  Call Dell and have them walk you through it.
View Quote

I was gonna do that as a last ditch attempt.  But I think the HD is damaged in some way.  It might happen again even if I reinstall the OS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't hit F8 after you see the error message, you have to do it while the computer is booting - after the memory test and before Windoze starts.  Most people just start banging on the keyboard as soon as the BIOS hardware screen appears.

You can probably download a replacement driver from Dell's website or get it off of the CD (if they gave you one.)
View Quote

Even while in the "F8" option screen with all the "safe mode" options and all, the notebook still enters the "blue screen".  "Safe mode" doesn't load or any of those other options either.  Total lockup.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
[b]SYMPTOMS[/b]
You may receive one of the following error messages:

STOP: 0xC000026C [Unable to load device driver]
-or-
STOP: 0xc0000221 [Unable to load device driver]

[b]CAUSE[/b]
This behavior can occur when one or more of the following conditions exist:

[i]There is a damaged device driver file on the hard disk. [/i]

[b]SOLUTION[/b]
Boot to the safe mode and change your screen resolution down to 640 x 480. It's going to bitch that you can't change resolutions while in safe mode. Reboot. Download or use the ATI CD to install the video drivers again.

If this doesn't work I'd recommend deleting the video cards driver files and then doing a reinstallation of the ATI software. Your card can run in the 640 x 480 mode running standard issue VGA drivers until you get the ATI ones loaded. If you're not comfortable doing this yourself get assistance.

View Quote

Comp doesn't even make it to "safe mode".  What would the problem be?  It looks like it's going to "safe mode", then BOOM!  Blue screen of death!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that I turned the notebook off and back on, the stupid POS comes up with a new error!!!!

I will now reload a new video driver version and hope it goes away.  If not, the notebook WILL be going away to "notebook graveyard".[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top