Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/13/2009 9:05:17 PM EDT
I'm all Android myself, it's a lot cheaper in the long run by far and tons of free apps.  It does it all Plus!
What's your choice and why?

....FUCK AROCK!....                      

Android Decals /stickers  http://inkedcity.bigcartel.com/

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP

ETA: Android. I'm 100% with the opensource options.

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Iphone is awesome... but you're hamstrung on AT&T's network.  I'd take the Android OS any day.

Good read here, even if it is a joke:

http://www.fakesteve.net/2009/12/a-not-so-brief-chat-with-randall-stephenson-of-att.html

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my iPhone.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I almost want an iPhone.  I hate Apple for no real articulatable reason, but AT&T...
I have good reasons to hate AT&T (let's just say, if I took a significant portion of their cash reserves, and they called me on it, and I told them I was a bit behind, I'd get it to them several months in the future... it was something like that).

I'm looking at any non AT&T phone. That pretty much leaves me with android for anything with apps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
i have the verizon htc droid its sweet
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:47:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my iPhone, hate AT&T.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
apple products are for liberal hipster douchebags. I die a little inside when I see normal people sucked into the hype of a shitty hardware company marketing a phone with a shitty wireless provider.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Iphone is awesome... but you're hamstrung on AT&T's network.  I'd take the Android OS any day.

Good read here, even if it is a joke:

http://www.fakesteve.net/2009/12/a-not-so-brief-chat-with-randall-stephenson-of-att.html

That was great!

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Iphone
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

apple products are for liberal hipster douchebags. I die a little inside when I see normal people sucked into the hype of a shitty hardware company marketing a phone with a shitty wireless provider.
Grow up.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Grow up.

grow up and accept a materialistic society that buys something based on it's status image rather than it being a well built product?

sorry I prefer my current state of buying something based on its actual value, not if its going to make me cooler.

on a semi related note:

another good read.

ETA: I don't own a droid either.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my iPhone.  No desire whatsoever to use anything else.

By the way, my iPhone is on T-Mobile.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Grow up.

+1.  Stop acting like a child.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 3:44:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grow up.

grow up and accept a materialistic society that buys something based on it's status image rather than it being a well built product?
sorry I prefer my current state of buying something based on its actual value, not if its going to make me cooler.

on a semi related note:

another good read.

ETA: I don't own a droid either.    

I love my iPhone, but my daughter broke the second screen in mine yesterday.  I'll replace it, but I'm considering giving it to the wife and getting a droid.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:09:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Funny.

I probably do more right-wing conservative work in a week than you do all year.

And this is posted from my iMac while my iPhone syncs in another window.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I would have chosen the iPhone but AT&T's coverage sucks.  That said, I am very happy with the Droid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#19]
First off, I ignore pretty much all complaints about cell phone companies unless it's coverage and signal problems. If you live in a place that has lousy coverage by a certain company, well, you're screwed. As for the rest of it, ALL cell phone companies are going to rape you. And they never use lube.

I have had an iPhone since the day they came out, and I love it. It replaced a Treo 600. The Palm was far from ideal, but it did OK IMO. Just a damn shame that the company was such a mess and their OS project took so long to accomplish so little, and then they go and start selling Windows-based units. In some ways, the Android platform seems a lot like the early days of Palm - a pretty good product on a decent platform with a lot of potential for custom apps. I'm sure the Android will last a lot longer and be a much better platform overall.

Comparing it to the iPhone is a little trickier. The Android has some neat features, but is definitely geared more towards geeks that will sit down and hack away at their cell phone if an app crashes or something happens. Not a whole lot of opportunities for that with the iPhone without doing a lot of other stuff to it. Apple's app store and their requirements for it are a bit annoying, I would love to have the ability to download from other sites and just drag it into iTunes to load it. Makes me miss my Treo just a tiny bit.

But the overall experience on an iPhone has been unmatched by anything I have seen. Apple is the undisputed champion of HID, and it shows in nearly every product they make. People I know with the new fancy crackberries and Androids STILL drool on my iPhone. But the iPhone is still a product that is targeted more towards the "consumer" end of the market, and the lack of expansion and the iron-fisted rule of the app store are the downsides of that design principle.

The iPhone does what I need, so I'm happy. I can't think of a reason to switch to the Android platform, Palm is dead to me(incompetent bastards), and you couldn't pay me enough to use a crackberry.

And don't forget the rumors of a CDMA iPhone for Verizon... They think maybe middle of 2010(original was June 11, 3G July 11, and 3GS July 17). I am no fan of Verizon for a variety of reasons(I was with them for 7 years before I switched to the iPhone), and I dread the inevitable assraping that will occur on data plan fees and limits, and I still have nightmares over the old bluetooth profile fiascos... But they do have good(and usually better than the competition's) coverage over much of the country(the only place I ever found where another company had a better signal than Verizon was in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin where I had full Nextel coverage but Verizon had no service at all).

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Very funny!
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny.

way to go jumping into the personal attack.

considering you are an instructor, and I am a college student, I would say you do more work, I'm not even going to get involved with the dick measuring by posting what I do, but I will say that I get the joy of fixing apple products on a daily basis.

have fun supporting a liberal company.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got the Verizon HTC Droid and love it. Except for the times it locks up and I need to pull the battery out to reboot it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny.

considering you are an instructor, and I am a college student, I would say you do more work, I'm not even going to get involved with the dick measuring by posting what I do, but I will say that I get the joy of fixing apple products on a daily basis.

So you're going to call him out for personal attacks?

Pot, meet kettle.

Again, grow up.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]
ATT sucks...so iPhone loses by default

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The part in red is really the important part of this post.

The Android OS is so far beyond superior, it's almost laughable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:34:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny.

A) Personal attack?  Where?

B) Liberal company?  Because we all know Google is a bastion of conservatism, right?

I would say that calling out my work or in what hes saying, lack there of would be a personal attack.

and I never said I liked or agreed with google.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny.

A) Personal attack?  Where?
B) Liberal company?  Because we all know Google is a bastion of conservatism, right?

That's what I was thinking.  I'd like him to tell us what ultra right wing company makes his cell phone and every other item he owns/uses.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:37:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny.

Pot, meet kettle.

Again, grow up.

I never said anything about him.  and in my post I acknowledge that normal people buy their products, so don't try saying I labeled all apple users with my statement about who they cater to.

ETA spelling
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:39:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Young females want the iphone.  Nerds want the droid.  I have a BB storm but want the droid.  Solely because of marketing though, as I have never seen one in person.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny.

Pot, meet kettle.
Again, grow up.

I never said anything about him.  and in my post I acknowledge that normal people buy their products, so don't try saying I labeled all apple users with my statement about who they cater to.

ETA spelling

Actually, by implying that all Apple product owners are " liberal hipster douchebags" you incorrectly applied that tag to me.
I was just explaining how incorrect and over-generalizing your post was.
I am sorry you got so butthurt by people here explaining the error of your ways.  For that I will apologize.
ETA:  My right-wing conservative work is all volunteer.  As a college student you can do the same and I highly encourage it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Back on topic please!  

Now, for those who would like to see what Android (not just Droid by Verizon) is take a gander here. http://www.htc.com/us/products#/?view=0-10&sort=0  All carriers are listed.

For Android users who need a little help please take a look here  http://androidforums.com/  

For anyone who would like to see what apps Android runs take a look here (thousands of free apps) http://www.androlib.com/android.category.applications-j.aspx

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Android is going to bury the Iphone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:23:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Bury?  Probably not so much.

However...  if this does take off like it promises, it will be good for Apple.  

Why?

Because it will make them start innovating again and try to leapfrog the Android.  Competition is good.  In electronics it's GREAT... especially for we the consumer.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

Because it will make them start innovating again and try to leapfrog the Android.  Competition is good.  In electronics it's GREAT... especially for we the consumer.

I agree, for us it's a win/ win thing!  The exception being a windows platform, there is no win in Windows.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?

I agree, for us it's a win/ win thing!  The exception being a windows platform, there is no win in Windows.  

So true.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm loving my Sprint HTC Hero powered by Android with Sense UI.  And I have always hated touchscreen phones.  This thing is friggin sweet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#39]
IMO nothing yet truly rivals the iPhone.  That being said Android is looking good and getting better, and other carriers may have better coverage than ATT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm all Android myself, it's a lot cheaper in the long run by far and tons of free apps.  It does it all Plus!
What's your choice and why?

I have an iPhone and really like it, but I hear the Droids are nice, so l am not bashing anything.  From what I hear and have seen in person, they do about the same stuff, so that's a lot in my opinion.

I am curious on what reasons you feel the Android is "A Lot Cheaper In The Long Run" though.  Could you please explain that?

A 450 minute a month plan plus the mandatory data plan is $69.99 for an iPhone on a two year contract.  I think VZ is about the same.

How is the Android a lot cheaper?

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:57:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Now with more pole!

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Now with more pole!

http://i45.tinypic.com/1z4h16v.jpg  

Yeah, he completely failed.

1. Used "pole" instead of "poll.
2. On ARFCOM, its MOAR.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm voting with my dollars. I'm getting a Droid this week.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#44]
For those who tout VZ as such a great network, this study just came out:

AT&T tops in 3G wireless speeds, study finds

Study does not undermine Verizon's claims of AT&T's overall 3G coverage gaps

By Brad Reed , Network World , 12/08/2009

Although AT&T has been taking a pounding lately from Verizon ads and from customer satisfaction surveys, a new study suggests that the carrier can take solace in the fact that its 3G wireless network is the fastest in the nation.

The study, issued by network performance monitoring start-up Root Wireless, shows that in areas where AT&T has 3G wireless coverage it is faster than any of the other major U.S. carriers. Root Wireless conducted the study by testing out 3G connectivity in Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, San Francisco and Washington, D.C., and it found that AT&T's average 3G downlink speed beat out Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile in all seven markets.

Overall, AT&T's average 3G data speeds ranged from a low of 246Kbps in New York and a high of 428Kbps in Dallas. Verizon, meanwhile, had average 3G speeds ranging from 195Kbps in Seattle to 259Kbps in Chicago.

The study also found that both carriers had comparably low rates of 3G connectivity failure, as each carrier's connection failure averaged between 1% and 3% for all seven cities. Sprint fared poorly in this particular category, as the carrier experienced data connection failures of 11% or higher in all seven markets

Link:
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm voting with my dollars. I'm getting a Droid this week.

Dude, you will love it...  

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a plain Motorola RAZR and AT&T's coverage for that is unchallenged in my travels here in Texas.  I think the success of the IPhone out paced AT&T coverage expansion for 3G.  However, AT&T is not used to being behind and that will not last.  Watch the Verizon bandwidth take a nose dive if their 3G utilization increases to what AT&T's is now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't own a cell phone. What do I win?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:56:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now with more pole!

http://i45.tinypic.com/1z4h16v.jpg  

Yeah, he completely failed.

1. Used "pole" instead of "poll.

2. On ARFCOM, its MOAR.  

I used pole on purpose.  It's a joke man, you know, a play on words.  I need to fix the moar thing.. sorry. My coffee had not kicked in.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm currently on AT&T and have avoided an iPhone.  I may be switching to Verizon after the New Year, and I'm thinking pretty hard about the Droid.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#50]
i own a droid. it is mighty.

JT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top