Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 6:51:52 PM EDT
Any of you in R/C nitro?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i used to. had a yokomo gt4, rc10gt, and a hpi rs4-2 all powered by a futaba 3pj which i later switched to an airtronics m8. used to practice at the tracks a lot, but i never got a chance to race them. i figured that if i'm going to spend thousands of dollars, that it should be on guns!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
(I stoped spending money on guns. Its a waste of resorces and time. I'm selling most of my rifles.)

I'm building a T-Maxx .21 nitro from the ground-up all metal with Airtronics R/C and servos. Should reach about 65-70mph. I'll be running 20% nitro and blue oil. Its going to eat about $2000 in parts plus the Radio.

At least I don't have to comply with the Bad Attitude Towards Freedom gang, can carry any time any place and the nitro is cheep...
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Associated RC10GT running 20%. NITRO ROCKS!
Was at the Checker Nationals at Firebird Raceway last weekend (on the balcony), still got wood.

coyote3
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
sorry to sound uneducated, but what is r/c nitro? i'm assuming it's a radio controlled fuel racer?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Can someone post a pic of one of these R/C Racers??
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kiosho Inferno Mp-5.  It is a 1/8 scale 4wd buggy.  Gets up to about 55-65mph.  I haven't ran this in about 2 years.  No good place to run it around here.  Here is a similar photo of a MP 7.5

[img]www.gpmd.com/images/kyoc0560.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#7]
55-65 mph..what's the r/c range? couldn't someone use one of these to deliver a chemical or explosive charge?

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm thinking about getting back into it maybe later. the t-maxx is what i'm looking at. i've always had m eye on it when it first came out. those things are BAD!!!!! i am also looking in to 1/8 4wd buggy like the kyosho inferno or mugen mbx-4rr. if any of you guys are interested, visit [url]www.rccaraction.com[/url]. they have lots of info. believe me, these things are a lot of fun. its just like firearms when you have nitro r/c. its fun to play with, but its a bitch to clean (depending on how you clean... i'm a clean freak when it comes to my toys).

some of these r/c's can go over 100mph depending on what engine and modifications you put on it. there is a world record electric r/c car that went 111+ mph. it should be in the books. it is a car made by team associated. i believe they used 26 c-cells to give it the power it needed. if pistol grip radio (controller) went into the wrong hands, the 10+lb toy can easily take out peoples legs. i think they're about to ban them in CA soon. oh well, i guess i'll have to move somewhere else to buy legally play with radio controlled cars...
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Range.  Probably a couple hundred yards.  The radios are similar to the ones they use on radio controlled airplanes.  I use a Futaba 3PJ PCM controller.  

I've controlled my car from about 125 yards away.  My friend and I put our cars there and faced them towards us.  We said go and were trying to race back towards ourselves.  There were a few twist and turns and I saw one go out of control about 100 yards away. It jumped the curb and did a few flips.  I laughed my ass off saying he fu*ked up.  He laughed back saying it was my buggy.  doh.  100 yards is far for a 1/8 buggy and they looked identical.  [:D]  

Damn, going to have to charge up my controller batteries and drive it a bit this weekend.  

Btw, the nitro smell is just like Hoppes #9.  You smell it for hours after you have touched it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
55-65 mph..what's the r/c range? couldn't someone use one of these to deliver a chemical or explosive charge?
View Quote

Yes. The R/C nitro airplane guys are being banned from a lot of places now. The big planes (5 to 7 ft)  with duo piston motor can carry a payload of 10lb easy. For a while this is how the drugs were smuggled into the us from Mexico.
The smaller size planes (3 to 4 ft.) can carry a payload of up to 3 lb. The speed of those things range from 40 MPH to 85 MPH and the distance is based on the amount of fuel.
In theory if you load 5 lb of fuel into a 4 stroke  motor airplane and have a relay controller the plane could fly for over 100 mi.
Those things are dangerous by nature, have seen guys that lost fingers from the propeller. For me trucks are #1 and helis are #2.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone selling guns/parts, please contact me....thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I got into nitro RC cars when I couldn't afford to race my "real" car anymore, and needed at least one politicaly correct hobby...

Right now, I've got 3 RC cars...

Associated RC10GT with a ported Hyper .21 on it, Ofna Monster Pirate w/ Hyper .21, and an HPI RS4 car w/OS .12...
They all run on 20% nitro...

The RC10 actually does wheelies at almost any speed when I've got sticky tires on the back...

My Monster Pirate with it's 2-speed trans, will smoke any Tmaxx right out of the box...
(The Hyper .21 makes 2.1 horsepower @ 38,000 RPM's)

The HPI car has a hot little 1 horsepower OS .12 in it, and also has a 2-speed trans...

Check 'em out...
[url]community.webtv.net/YULLOSE/ExtremeRC10[/url]

BTW...

60-70 MPH from a heavy all metal .21 Tmaxx is "unrealistic"...

40-50 MPH is more like it...

My Monster Pirate goes 37+ MPH right out of the box with only a 1-speed trans...
I haven't clocked it with the 2-speed yet, but it looks to be going around 45-50 MPH when it tops out in high gear...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top