Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 4:30:57 PM EDT
How long is okay to fast and or starve ones self?  Going on 4 days with only 2 cups of coffee during the day and 2 Sprites at night.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The question isn't how long, but why you would want to. If you are trying to lose weight it won't work. Your body will just go into starvation mode so when you eat again you'll gain weight. So ...it's generally a bad idea.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, that won't work at all.

If you're trying to lose weight the best thing for you to do is eat 3-4 small, low fat, low cal meals a day and then 2-3 small snacks such as an apple or other fruits or maybe a fig bar. Be sure to drink plenty of water, caffiene will only keep you from shedding pounds.

Oh course if you're trying to kill yourself you'll be there in about two weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've lost 30lbs over the last 4 months by changing my lifestyle.  NEVER, EVER, EVER diet.  It's bad for your body.  Simply eat better foods in smaller quantity more often and the pounds will go away.  You will develop a "pattern" that your body will love and give you the desired weight.  Don't starve yourself because your body will store more fat to compensate.

When you are hungry, eat an apple.  It's natures most perfect food.  High fiber and no fat.  I eat one around 10am when hunger hits and another in the afternoon.  Man, what a great way to treat yourself.

I even get to eat some candy with this method and still lost the pounds.  Just remember "moderation".  A little of everything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:01:07 PM EDT
[#5]
About 5 years ago I got an ulcer, and did not eat anything for 12.5 days.  I only drank water and had a few sips of sprite.  I went another week on a few bowls of pudding and cream-o-wheat, as that was the only thing that would stay down.  It sucked and I had a hard time staying hydrated even though I was drinking water.  I lost a lot of weight, but was very weak for a month afterwards.  

In a couple of months I gained it all back and then some.  I would not recommend fasting as a diet plan, as you cannot function well.  If you want to lose weight, better check with your doctor and get on a low cal food plan. Green_Furniture has it exactly right.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
ELMM =   eat less  move more !  starvation can be very dangerous and will not make you healthier or thinner.  Consult your doctor or better yet a registered dietician.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]

You better get something to eat soon unless you are some kind of autotrophic anamoly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
"Fasting" is normally used for one or two purposes:  To cleanse your system of "toxins" or for religious purposes.  If you're trying to lose weight, it's only a temporary solution.

Assuming you're trying to lose weight, forget about it.  The weight you lose will mainly be water weight, not fat.  Our bodies are very smart and if they see you starving, guess what?  They slow the metabolism down and you're worse off than when you started.  I would suggest lowering your caloric intake and increasing the amount of protein you eat.  Watch your carb and fat intake and get some exercise.  Diets dont' work... it takes a lifestyle change to keep weight off.  

My .02 cents.

MustangMan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top