Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 9:19:44 AM EDT
[size=4]Mel Gibson Showing Bush His Movie at White House[/size=4]
Tue Feb 26, 2:42 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Mel Gibson was coming to the White House on Tuesday night to show President Bush (news - web sites) his new Vietnam war movie, "We Were Soldiers."

The fact-based movie, which opens on Friday, is about a 34-day battle in the remote Ia Drang Valley in the central highlands of South Vietnam in November 1965. It was the first major encounter between North Vietnamese and American soldiers, and the 400 troops of Lt. Col. Hal Moore, played by Gibson, were outnumbered by the 2,000 North Vietnamese.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and national security adviser Condoleezza Rice would be among those attending the showing in the White House movie theater.

See article at:[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=&u=/ap/20020226/ap_en_mo/bush_soldiers_3[/url]

Now isn't this the kind of Presidency our country needed, not like that last clown, whose idea of watching a movie at the White House was 'Debbie Does Dallas' with Monica bobbing along with the action!

Eric The(ToPutItBluntly)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's an expanded version of the same article:
[size=4]Bush Invites Actor Gibson to D.C.[/size=4]
Tue Feb 26, 6:35 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush invited Mel Gibson to the White House on Tuesday to take in the Hollywood star's new film about a historic battle in the Vietnam War.

"There seems to be such a thing as collective unconscious, because there's a plethora of war films right now," Gibson told reporters at the White House. His movie, "We Were Soldiers," about a Nov. 14, 1965, battle in Vietnam's Ia Drang Valley, before the terror attacks in the United States and the ensuing war on terrorism.

Bush invited Gibson to watch the movie Tuesday night in the White House theater with Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice.

The film depicts roughly 400 U.S. soldiers from the 7th Air Cavalry as they took on almost 2,000 enemy troops in one of the most intense fights of the long Vietnam War.

Before the screening, Gibson joked that he cleaned himself up in short order for his White House visit.

"I got in like half an hour ago," he said. "I was wearing a filthy pair of jeans, and I had whiskers and long hair, and I got a haircut, shave, bath, shower, suit, all in 12 minutes. I'm pretty good."

See article at: [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=&u=/ap/20020226/ap_en_mo/bush_soldiers_3[/url]

Maybe doing the movie 'The Patriot' did Mel a lot of good in getting his poop in a group.

Eric The(I'MGoingFridayMorning,Guys?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#2]
This months SOF has a good article on the filming of the movie. Apparently openly anti military people had no part in the production, and the vets who visited the set were treated with respect. It`s definitely on my must see list!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I read the book that this was based on {[i]We Were Soldiers Once, and Young[/i] by Lt. Gen. Harold Moore (ret.) and Joseph Galloway.  I would recommend everyone  read it if they get the chance.  From what I have seen in the previews, the movie looks like it might be a little cleaned up from the book.  

It's already got one strike against it in my book because they chose a non-southerner(Mel Gibson) to play a southern character.  I hate when Hollywood does this.  They always murder the southern accent.  Either cast a southern actor in the role, or change the script a little so the character is not a southerner.  I just can't get into a movie when the lead character sounds so fake.  Who knows though, it might turn out to be a decent movie.

Either way, if you get a chance, by all means, read the book.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top