Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2002 6:35:17 AM EDT
I am warning all of my fellow Americans on this board about this story. So if your Doc tries to pry into your personal affairs Tell him to Drown himself in the lake of liberal Crap.

Gun Grabbers Target Your Doctor
Wes Vernon, NewsMax.com
Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2002

WASHINGTON – The once-respected American Medical Association wants your doctor to butt into your constitutional right to own firearms.
Although only an embarrassingly low 32 percent of American physicians are members of AMA, the organization claims to speak for all doctors.

If your doctor is among the majority of physicians who are not AMA members, perhaps he could give you a laundry list of reasons for a refusal to participate. They could range from nonsense bureaucracy to politics.

The latter consideration may have something to do with the fact that President Bush did not deliver the traditional first health care address to AMA. Like its counterpart in the legal profession – American Bar Association – AMA has been drifting left in recent years.

If your general practitioner is in AMA, don’t be surprised if the next time you have a physical exam, he asks you about guns you have in your home.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#1]
My dr. is an NRA member, has American Rifleman in his lobby, and occasionally accepts guns as payment.
i keep meaning to ask him, "if i come in healthy 20 times, can i have your springfield trapdoor?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The proper way to deal with this is to:

1.  Tell the Doctor that what he or she is asking is crossing PROFESSIONAL BOUNDARIES, that you are not interested in answering that question, and if the Dr. insists, you will have to report them to the state medical board for political activism under the guise of a professional practice.  

2.  Generally, once the Doctor is told that they are crossing professional boundaries, they will desist.  If they say that the AMA has indicated that the issue is health related, you should counter with the fact that the AMA is a political lobbying organization as well as a professional organization, and the "firearms health issue" comes from their lobbying arm.  

3.  If the Doctor is willing to talk rationally about the issue, you should be WELL INFORMED.  Tell the Doctor that the "information" that he is given is very biased (so biased, in fact that the "Researchers" who did it--Kellerman, primarily, have lost federal funding, and will not submit their raw data to peer review).  Ask him if the information (generally VPC type packets that say guns are evil and should be locked up behind a bank vault door) deals with safe gun handling techniques, such as the 3 Cardinal Rules of gun handling?  You may just make a convert.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:06:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Part of the problem here is that unlike most people, many doctors in training do rotations through ERs.  If they train in a large metro area and/or in county facilities, they get to see first hand the damage guns do (usually domestics, sometimes kids, and often gang related shootings by "some dude").  Combine that a strange tendency to want to see people whole and healthy, and you can at least understand why *some* doctors think fireams present a public health problem.  

The Modern Hippocratic Oath:

Hippocratic Oath -- Modern Version

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a doc and dumped the AMA years ago when they started going antigun.  I traded my AMA membership in for a NRA membership, best money I've ever spent.  There are a large number of docs who hunt and do other firearm related events and their disdain for the AMA over guns and other things is shown by the low membership in the AMA.  I recently bought my first AR-15 and just started paperwork on my first class 3.  As the AMA continues to move left you will see the membership continue to drop.  As far as handling your doc if he asks questions about guns, just politely tell him it's none of his business.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If you had to choose between a Pro-Gun doctor, who was incompetent...
...and an Anti-Gun doctor who was top of his field...

...who would you pick?

...to operate on a loved one?

Personally, I'd go with whoever was the better Doc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
First time I went to my doctor and forgot to leave home my S&W 2" .38, I apologized when I had to take off my shirt and there was the .38 on my hip.  I know that many paople are uncomfortable around guns.

He laughed and lifted his shirt, showing me his .380 Walther PP in his waistband.  Pretty cool for a nerdy doctor!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Is your doctor against the second amendment?
View Quote

No, he shoots IDPA with me. :D
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My doctor hasn't said a word about the dozen or so times she has seen my handgun du jour. Apparently she's not even curious about the fact I have so many.

She's a deer hunter, I know, and was born and raised in the area, so it probably doesn't mean much to her either way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#11]
On the rare occasions when I have to go to my HMO, I always take 4 or 5 of the American Rifleman's I've saved for just this purpose and spread them around the waiting room. Sometimes I wonder how long they last and if they are policed up. However, the last time I went I was pleasantly surprised to find most still in the piles after a few months. I replaced them with some newer ones, of course. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#12]
My PA, I don't have a real doctor, carries, drinks, smokes, very cool dude.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#13]
My missus is a family physician. She's also British and at best gun-tolerant (That's about as good as it'll ever get, I'm afraid.). Most of her med. colleagues here in central Massachusetts are ALL  products of liberal upper or middle-class suburban upbringings. Not many gun friends there, but lots of lefty cause-heads. It's a safe bet in MA that, at least in the medical profession, there are more closeted gun-owners than closeted homosexuals.

Among nurses and staff, it's different. Lots of people go hunting or are involved in other firearm-related activities. (Heck, even some of the members of the range I belong to are my wife's patients.)

And yes, my wife does ask the magic question, "Do you have guns in your home?" to her new patients. She says it's a requirement for her job....knowing the a**h***s she works for, I wouldn't be surprised. And yes, I've told her that what she is asking is a "boundary violation" and she agrees that it is, but the state medical authorities (whoever they are) are the ones telling doctors to ask about it.[rolleyes]

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power.
The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of
good intentions.  There are men in all ages who mean to govern well,
but they mean to govern.  They promise to be good masters, but they
mean to be masters."

- --DANIEL WEBSTER
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I am a surgical resident and have seen my fair share of what guns can do to people.  The damage can be pretty impressive.  However one has to remember three things:

1.  People do this to themselves or to other people.  The gun is just an inanimate object.

2.  Knives cause a lot of mischief too.  Automobiles and alcohol cause even more.

3.  Trauma surgery sure is fun.

I am an avid hunter and gun collector.  One of the trauma surgeons that I work with also likes guns (in fact I sold him a Glock 34 last year).  Most of the surgeons I work with hunt, shoot, or at the very least are supportive of gun ownership.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#15]
My dr. is an NRA member, has American Rifleman in his lobby, and occasionally accepts guns as payment.
View Quote

Good idea. I am a young doc and looking forward to establish my practice in the Las Vegas area. Anyone with guns (no BG) is welcome to visit me anytime. And yes, I will accept guns as payment.

YG
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Guns are not the only thing they want to know about. They also want to tie in information on the number of children you have living in your house. Especially minors. If you offer inof on guns and state that you have minors, beware.

I handle it by writing P/I in the blanks I don't want to answer (Priviledged Information).
When the doc asks me about children I ask him how that will affect my medical treatment. Then he counted with family history and I countered with that's family future not history. I usually win but am prepared to leave if I have to.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Once, I was reading a gun book in the waiting room of my doctor.  It was my turn, so I closed the book and walked into the exam room.  When my doctor came in, he asked me what I was reading, so I handed it to him.  He flipped through the book, stopped at a photo of someone posing with a gun and said, "He shouldn't have his finger on the trigger".  Finished flipping though the book and handed it back to me.  Never mentioned anything else about guns the whole time.  I don't know if he's pro-gun, but at least he knows safety.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
My dentist has a Bushmaster and goes to gun shows so I guess the answer is 'no' in his case.

I asked my optometrist about special lenses for competitive rifle shooting and while he didn't know anything about guns he seemed really interested in learning about the optical aspects.  We talked extensively about sight radiuses, sight pictures, focusing on the front sight, the difference between post and aperature sights, etc.  He asked for some literature so I let him copy the section on sights and sight picture requirements from my copy of Tubbs' 'Highpower Rifle.'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top