Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2002 9:43:27 PM EDT
I'm curious about something.  A couple of years ago I heard that Levi Straus was in the business of donating money, and lots of it' to the anti gun organizations.  Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?  I've never seen this in writing, just heard about it from some guys I work with.  I use to wear Levi's exclusively until I heard this "rumor", now I've switched to Carhart's.  I don't know for sure but I think they ARE a  firearms friendly group, since I see their name on outdoor type shows.  I'm sure if it is true, some of you if not all have heard this.  Thanks for any input

[grenade]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember a few years ago the American Rifleman (aka the NRA) noted in an article that Levi Straus was one of the top sponsors of a "Get the inner city crime free by paying jack for non-functioning guns or guns you want melted down with no questions asked and have a feel good concert with some band I never heard of" event somewhere.  The basic idea was if you buy Levi jeans you are making a donation to Handgun Control, Inc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
well.   I'm not feeling real bad about NOT buying them now.  I figured there must be something to the story.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...
As much as I'd like to boycott Levi's, along with Dell computers, McDonalds, WalMart, K-Mart, Baby GAP, the tooth fairy, the carnie at the end of the street with the music box and the monkey, and...you get the point....

Levi's, I am afraid, I just can't put my foot down on.  I'd love to give them the monetary finger as much as you guys, but nothing fits my fat ass quite like a pair of 34-34 550 Silvertabs.  Sorry boys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]
F*CK Levi's  I knew there was a reason why I hate them so much!  Real men only wear Wrangler's anyways.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The Pax Foundation is the group that Levi Strauss and company provides a hunk of your cash to each time you buy their overpriced jeans.

Check them out yourself: [url]www.paxusa.org[/url]

Little known fact: The Pax Foundation is the group that provided everyone at Woodstock '99 with a candle for a candlelight "peace" vigil. Those candles were used to set everything flammable in the place on fire and contributed to the huge riot.

I buy Carhartt jeans.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Carharts and Dickeys for now. I feel no loyalty to a clothing company. IT'S A CLOTHING COMPANY! Just another buisness that bends to the will of the consumer. Vote with your dollars.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey, how about Lee's -  are they pro or anti?
They jeans are as good as L***'s, and a lot cheaper.

Wranglers - just as good.   Rustlers are OK in the sense of being non-Levi's, but mine were made of prety thin denim, wore through quickly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I found out that Levis' was antigun after Dillon had a cover with a girl wearing Levis, and a subscriber lambasted Dillon for running the cover. The next weekend, I went out and bought 2 pairs of Dickies, and haven't worn Levis since.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I got a pair of Levi's for Christmas.  
I returned them and got some Dickies.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Levis are cool.
Lees are not.
Wranglers are OK IF you're a cowboy.
Carhardts are good for work.

Buy what's best, period.
Go Capitalism, go!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Levi's use to donate several thousands of dollars a year to the Boy Scouts. They stopped during the big blowup about the Scouts not wanting gays as Troop leaders.

Then they went antigun.

Now I wear Rustlers. They are not as comfortable as the 501's I wore for over 20 years, but their cheaper and haven't offended me twice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
F*CK Levi's  I knew there was a reason why I hate them so much!  Real men only wear Wrangler's anyways.
View Quote

No.  Real men wear SEARS TOUGHSKINS, cuz' the fabric will rub the hair off your scrotum and chap your thighs within the first ten feet.  Only a real man can take that kind of pain. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]
What happens if, after looking high and low, for clothes made by clothing companies that are "Pro-Gun".....

....you end end up looking like a dork?

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What happens if, after looking high and low, for clothes made by clothing companies that are "Pro-Gun".....
View Quote

So it's better to look cool and "sell out", or look like a dork and stand by your principles?

I'd like to think people would choose principles... but that's awfully optimistic/idealistic.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the hell, I look like a dork anyway. [whacko]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I gave up my levi's for Wrangler's, hell I have always been a dork, but you had better smile when you call me that........ Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wranglers are OK IF you're a cowboy.
View Quote

LMAO!!!! That's pretty good, coming from
[size=4]NEW--YORK--(CITY?) !!!!!![/size=4]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well...
As much as I'd like to boycott Levi's, along with Dell computers, McDonalds, WalMart, K-Mart, Baby GAP, the tooth fairy, the carnie at the end of the street with the music box and the monkey, and...you get the point....

Levi's, I am afraid, I just can't put my foot down on.  I'd love to give them the monetary finger as much as you guys, but nothing fits my fat ass quite like a pair of 34-34 550 Silvertabs.  Sorry boys.
View Quote

Old Navy jeans and cargos are much nicer and have fitted me better than Levi's.  Not to mention cheaper.  Now ignore those annoying commercials and get your fat ass into a conservative friendly pair.  [:)]

NO EXCUSE NOW!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Old Navy jeans and cargos are much nicer and have fitted me better than Levi's.  Not to mention cheaper.  Now ignore those annoying commercials and get your fat ass into a conservative friendly pair.  [:)]

NO EXCUSE NOW!  
View Quote

Drat, you're right.  I remembered I do have a pair of Old Navy's that fit somewhat comfortably, at half the price.  Nevertheless, I'll start buying them again AFTER I can afford rent.  *Sigh*, back to work braiding bookmarks for god's sakes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top