Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2002 5:31:53 PM EDT
·BOSTON BEGS FOR MORE TIME TO JUSTIFY SUIT AGAINST GUN INDUSTRY . . .
Despite 18 months of pre-trial discovery, having reviewed hundreds of
thousands of pages of internal industry documents, and taking sworn
testimony from a host of corporate executives, the City of Boston has yet
to come up with evidence of wrongdoing by firearm manufacturers, and city
attorneys are pleading with Suffolk County Superior Court Judge Nonnie
Burns for additional time to justify their case. In January, after
reviewing the City's arguments, Judge Burns declared it was not enough
simply to "allege" wrongdoing on the part of the industry, and she gave
the City an additional 30 days to present specific facts to prove that
industry actions "caused, contributed to, or at least, were connected to
the harm claimed by the City." Judge Burns's deadline ended February 21,
and the City has requested still more time. "At the end of the day, they
simply have no evidence to support their outrageous allegations that these
manufacturers are responsible for the criminal and accidental misuse of
firearms in the City," said Lawrence G. Keane, vice president and general
counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation. "The City will never
find evidence of industry negligence and callousness because it simply
isn't true. We would hope the court will not delay this case any further
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The judge should cut Boston's lawsuit off at the kness. A year and a half, and nothing. Nada, zip. The city was/is on a fishing expedition. What a waste of taxpayers' money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Like Warlord said, the taxpayers are getting screwed. The worst part is these cities never, ever have hell to pay for wasting the taxpayers money. Who's held accountable for these frivolous lawsuits? No one! It's enough to make one [puke]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you really think there's even ONE person in the entire Commonwealth/Collective of  Taxachusettes that cares one lick about wasting taxpayer's money (even their own)?

This is the same state that spends 14 [u]BILLION[/u] dollars over 15 years for 7.5 miles of underground traffic tunnels (the "Big Dig").

A few million for tying "Big Evil Gun Makers" up in court for a few years is chump change to them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you really think there's even ONE person in the entire Commonwealth/Collective of  Taxachusettes that cares one lick about wasting taxpayer's money (even their own)?

This is the same state that spends 14 [u]BILLION[/u] dollars over 15 years for 7.5 miles of underground traffic tunnels (the "Big Dig").

A few million for tying "Big Evil Gun Makers" up in court for a few years is chump change to them.
View Quote

Don't believe these municpalities that they don't have ANY money. It's a matter of priorities.  Municpalities are always pleading poverty, but they have the money to spend, it depends on where the leaders want to spend it, i.e. on improving roads, schools, banning guns. The politicos just say they are broke in order for them to justify to their constituents why there are potholes in the roads, and the schools are breaking down. The politicos don't fear too much of not getting re-elected, because not that many vote to begin with. What was it, only 25% of eligible voters actually vote.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
1GUNRUNNER, what was your source for that?  I need this info for a paper due Thursday.  I just happen to be at Boston University...something tells me they aren't going to like what I have to say.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know ther 'was' one but I think she just moved to New Hampshire !
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Democrat Gun Owners make it all possible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1GUNRUNNER, what was your source for that?  I need this info for a paper due Thursday.  I just happen to be at Boston University...something tells me they aren't going to like what I have to say.
View Quote

[url]http://www.nssf.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Democrat Gun Owners make it all possible.
View Quote

Nooooo, the lawsuit permissive American culture makes it possible.  Expect the gun manufacturers to start countersuits to prevent this type of harrassment in the future.  

I hope the claim is shot down by the judge now.  There's no reason for more expensive discovery, its only a fishing trip as was stated earlier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top