Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2002 1:51:08 PM EDT
[size=4]Majority of Muslims polled view U.S. unfavorably[/size=4]
February 26, 2002 Posted: 3:27 PM EST (2027 GMT)

PRINCETON, New Jersey (CNN) -- A majority of people interviewed in nine Muslim countries had unfavorable opinions of the United States and President Bush, according to a new Gallup poll.

Most respondents also said they think the U.S. military action in Afghanistan is morally unjustified.

Researchers conducted face-to-face interviews with 9,924 residents of Pakistan, Iran, Indonesia, Turkey, Lebanon, Morocco, Kuwait, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to gauge public opinion in those countries following the September 11 attacks on the United States. About half of the world's Muslim population lives in those nine countries.

In the survey, [b]53[/b] percent of the people questioned had unfavorable opinions of the United States, while [b]22[/b] percent had favorable opinions.

A favorable opinion of the United States was highest in Lebanon, at 41 percent, and Turkey, at 40 percent, and lowest in Pakistan, at 5 percent. Twenty-eight percent of Kuwaitis, 27 percent of Indonesians, 22 percent of Jordanians, 22 percent of Moroccans, 16 percent of Saudi Arabians and 14 percent of Iranians surveyed had a favorable view of the United States.

On Bush, 58 percent of those surveyed had unfavorable opinions, compared with 11 percent who had favorable views.

[b]Of those surveyed, 67 percent saw the September 11 attacks as morally unjustified, while 15 percent of the respondents said they were morally justified.[/b]

But an even greater number -- 77 percent -- said the U.S. military action in Afghanistan was morally unjustified compared with 9 percent who said it was morally justified.

[b]The survey also found that 61 percent said they did not believe Arab groups carried out the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.[/b] Of those surveyed, 18 percent said they did believe Arab organizations were responsible.

The interviews were conducted between December and January. The respondents were randomly selected and did not know a U.S. firm was sponsoring the poll.

Gallup said the sampling error was plus or minus 1 percentage point for questions asked in all nine countries and plus or minus 4 percentage points for questions broken down by individual nations.

See article at:[url]
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/02/26/gallup.muslims/index.html[/url]

These people just don't know when to shut up!

[b]Only 28% of Kuwaitis had favorable opinions of the United States?[/b]

Hey, next time Saddam comes a 'knockin, don't call US to get your ditties out of the wringer!

Eric The(Sarcastic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I suppose it easy to understand why 67% of those polls thought that the Sept 11 attacks were unjustified - because 61% thought that the attacks were [u]not[/u] carried out by Arab organizations!

Who'd have thunk it?

I wonder what the percentage would be if they did think Arab organizations had carried it out?

Eric The(WhoKnows?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be waiting to see how many of our Servicemen hurry down Damnation Alley in Kuwait City next time!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If I thought these people had a snowballs chance of actually knowing the truth, I'd be pissed at them.

But like the prisoner citizens of Soviet Russia, these folks only know what their gov't controlled media tells them (not too unlike millions of sheeple in the USA)

And I feel pretty sure their gov't controlled media lies profusely about the USA to them.

So, if they have no other source of learning the truth (Bedouins generally don't have laptops with DSL access) and they beleive the lies their gov;t tells them, at the risk of being killed as an infidel should they dare question their gov't, can I be too pissed at the individual Arabs out there??

Comparatively, should I be too pissed at the Israeli citizens for their gov't deliberate attack on teh Liberty, or bilking BILLIONS of dollars out of teh USA??

No, neither one gets me mad at the little guys. Now their respective gov;ts are DEFINITELY off my Christmas / Hannukkah card list.

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Always the dig, eh, garandman? I'll light a candle for you this evening at my festive Hun dinner!

But can you explain the Kuwaitis? It isn't likely that a group like them would so soon forget the kindnesses that were bestowed on them so recently?

I mean they have a standard of living like the Swiss!

C'mon, don't beat around the Burning Bush, give us your answer!

Eric The(Shouldn'tYouBeDancingCheekToJowlWith...)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, well Eric.  What's the expression....oh yeah.  Who cares!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always the dig, eh, garandman? I'll light a candle for you this evening at my festive Hun dinner!
View Quote

What the "Liberty" thing??? I was just using that fer comparison, to show my objectivity. Save yer candles fer a romantical evening with Mrs. Hun.

But can you explain the Kuwaitis? It isn't likely that a group like them would so soon forget the kindnesses that were bestowed on them so recently?

!
View Quote

that one kinda defies explanation. Of course, I was of the opinion we never shoulda been over there anyway, since the US could be oil independent if our gov't would let us (i.e. Alaska, ANWAR, etc)

Eric The(Shouldn'tYouBeDancingCheekToJowlWith...)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I don't dance.

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The ungrateful bastards - Kuwait and (Saudi) Arabia.  We should have left them to the tender mercies of their Arab brothers.  You can't blame those percentages on government controlled media.

14% of Iranians have a favorable impression of the US?  That is statistically zero.  Who are the moderates we are supposed to be courting?

I am most surprised at the 40% favorable rating of Lebanon.  Our surrogates in the region, have been pounding them for the past 25 years, and we shelled them with a battleship.  Is it because the Isrealis were better occupiers than their fellow arabs, the syrians?  Or is it because they experience the wrath of the PLO on a regular basis?  But then again, the more I learn of the politics of the area, the more disgusted I am with the whole middle east.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Pogo, it probably has something to do with the 30% of the population being Christian!

The most recent CIA fact book on Lebanon breaks it down, thusly:

Muslim 70% (including Shi'a, Sunni, Druze, Isma'ilite, Alawite or Nusayri), Christian 30% (including Orthodox Christian, Catholic, Protestant), Jewish NEGL%

The Druze Muslims are another sort of group altogether. The Israelis employ them as border guardsmen, and they are very cozy with the Christians.

Mainly this is due to their being at odds with the rest of the country's Muslims.

And the Syrians.

Eric The(Realistic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top