Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2002 7:21:40 AM EDT
[URL]http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=childcare21m&date=20020221[/URL]

Please take a look at this article.  It's not totally lop-sided, but my foil hat [advanced model] pointed me to these juicy "it takes a village" quotes.

See what you think.  It's actually more than Grandma they're worried about, also leaving them with other relatives, friends, neighbors, who are (gasp) [size=6][b][red]UNREGULATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size=6][/b][/red]

A majority of those informal care providers - nearly 300,000 people who are [red]unregulated by the state [/red] - have no specific training in child-care, child-development or parenting skills and tend to be less affluent and educated than the state's general population, the study found.
View Quote

That does it. Grandma will have to get fingerprinted.  The neighbors, too, because little Conifer always asks if he can go over there when he gets home from school.

Oh, Granny has to get trained? Where? How?  Oh, wait, those wonderful Child Development people at the University of Washington have a program! And there gonna be a state program to pay for it, if she's smart enough.  After all, she's "less affluent and educated".

Some experts say licensed day-care centers generally provide higher-quality care than do informal care providers. A Johns Hopkins University study of day-care arrangements for low-income preschoolers in three cities rated 88 percent of the unregulated home-care settings as inadequate or minimal. The homes lacked books and [red]appropriate toys[/red], and caregivers sometimes used inappropriate discipline.
In contrast, nearly 80 percent of the [b]licensed centers were rated as good.
View Quote

Therefore we need to make sure everybody gets a license.  Hey, does this sound like a commercial for the "licensed, regulated" industry?

[blue]"Danny!! Quick!  Hide GI Joe!!! Last time the state inspectors were here they confiscated our squirt guns!!
View Quote
[/blue]

Uh, I have never seen a house that didn't have [b]some[/b] books.  Now maybe what they mean is "appropriate" books.  Oh, we'll have to have another study to figure out what books are appropriate. Let's see, no books about firearms, uh, no books about less government.

The state has an interest because it subsidizes licensed and unlicensed child care for thousands of low-income working parents. About one-third use their state vouchers to pay extended family members, friends or neighbors for child care.
View Quote

Well, we could argue whether [b]that[/b] program should even exist, but it seems pretty clear that when you take money from the government, they will try to control you.

Children from birth through age 5 average five to seven hours a week in the care of extended family, friends or neighbors; one in three averages more than 10 hours. Many experts consider 10 hours a week sufficient for the quality of care to affect a child's development.
View Quote

Are we supposed to conclude that these kids are neglected? Maybe they only NEED to be at someone else's house for less than 10 hours.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#1]
This is the Seattle Times, need we say more about the liberal agenda?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#2]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b] have no specific training in child-care, child-development or parenting skills [/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord knows grandma doesn't have any experience raising kids. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
What should worry us all is what the state and Johns Hopkins deem "higher quality care" and "appropriate".  

Anyone remember the "Hitler Youth"

I can see the ideal liberal society now, a bunch of kids standing in uniform on a parade ground chanting "Service to the State".

I can't imagine what these pseudo scientists would think if they knew I ran through the woods with all manner of toy firearms screaming at the top of my lungs playing ... gasp! ... Pioneer, Cowboys and Indians, Soldier, Pine Cone Fights, etc.

My father read the Gollum episode to my sister and myself as a bedtime story - I'm sure that wasn't appropriate.

How can I possibly explain how I became a well rounded, well adjusted, moderately successful adult?

Ryan
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What should worry us all is what the state and Johns Hopkins deem "higher quality care" and "appropriate".
View Quote

Real easy.  "Higher quality" is when they are in our shorts and in our homes.

"Appropriate" has to be determined by a panel of self-appointed "experts" with lots of bullshit credentials, no common sense, and little regard for personal liberties.

Anyone remember the "Hitler Youth"

I can see the ideal liberal society now, a bunch of kids standing in uniform on a parade ground chanting "Service to the State".

I can't imagine what these pseudo scientists would think if they knew I ran through the woods with all manner of toy firearms screaming at the top of my lungs playing ... gasp! ... Pioneer, Cowboys and Indians, Soldier, Pine Cone Fights, etc.

My father read the Gollum episode to my sister and myself as a bedtime story - I'm sure that wasn't appropriate.
View Quote
Hmmmm.  Lucky this was done in the privacy of your owm home.  Lucky you HAD privacy in your own home.  Hope our grandkids do

How can I possibly explain how I became a well rounded, well adjusted, moderately successful adult?

Ryan

View Quote
As a mattter of fact, I'm sure the university people would love to talk to you and "help" you reassess yourself and re-educate you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Just more ranting from a liberal rag.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
have no specific training in child-care, child-development or parenting skills
View Quote

...uhmmm,  gee I don't either and I have 2 children of my own that I care for practically all the time.

Maybe I should give them up for adoption.

I think a law ought to be passed that you must have training and experience before you can procreate.

(Actually they're a 13 ear old son and a 15 year old daughter and sometimes that giving them up for adoption really does enter my mind.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[b] have no specific training in child-care, child-development or parenting skills [/b]

Lord knows grandma doesn't have any experience raising kids. [rolleyes]
View Quote

yeah, and i guess all mothers and mothers-to-be must get "regulated" before having children.  can't have them raising youngsters without the proper "training".

although, i know a few parents who are in need of some serious parental skills.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Well...this article REALLY got my attention.

My wife and I are "helping" our son to raise our two grandchildren.  In point of fact, my wife, even at fifty and now going through the change of life is a mother again to a pair of wonderful little kids (And, I venture to say...a DAMN sight better Mommy than half the bsybody liberal reporters and government thugs who advocate this crapola!).  The five year old girl epitomizes all that is wonderful about little girls (Thank Heaven...!), and the three year old boy is not nicknamed the Kamikaze for nothing.  All three live with us.  When our daughter-in-law split, our son realized he couldn't cope and requested help, which we agree to provide.

The details are to give a perspective on my assessment of this article.  And that is...?

What a bunch of liberal tripe!  Who the hell ARE these people?  I can unequivically state that my wife, having already raised our own kids, is FAR better qualified to cope with, teach, care for and love these two bright, active little critters than any government bureaucrat or government-funded contractor could ever hope of being.  This is nothing more than another load of Hillary-babble crap...right out of "It Takes A Village"!

Next thing you know...there will be some government asshole at our door telling her she has to give up the kids to the state so they can be properly "cared for" (read indoctrinated!).

Is that the faint strains of "Horst Wessel" I hear in the background...or maybe the "Internationale"...or maybe just the old Soviet National Anthem?

Stay off my porch...stay out of my life...leave us alone!

DAMMIT, I loathe liberals!

[pissed]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hell, my 2 year old daughter is at Grandma's house right now.  Do I look worried?  This lady raised me and my sister, we're still alive.  How do they explain that?  I hate Edu-crats trying to push their beliefs and shit on us with their various "studies" that they shove down our throats all the time.  I haven't had any "training" in raising kids either, and I seem to be doing okay.  My wife, too.  Amazing, that.

-Gloftoe
View Quote

The first step toward recovery is admitting that you have a problem.  I guess you're not there yet[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Folks, this idea popped into my head after reading about NEA bias in another thread.

I'm thinking that this focus by these "experts" on getting their foot in the door on so-called "informal care providers" is just a prelude to their real target.

What would you say to the proposition that the real target is home-schooling?

As I was reading about the NEA, my reaction was, "That's it.  I'm telling my son to Home-School his kids."

Then I thought back to this thread, and realized that if they are able to require regulation of so-called "informal care providers", they will have already gained entry to our homes.  

One they're there, do you think their going to have a high opinion of home-schoolers?

Nope.  There will be another round of "studies" by "university experts".  They will have "findings" that home-schoolers operate in a deficient leaning environment( as defined by the same "experts").  They will want to "help" home-schoolers.  Maybe they will report in another study that if you're going to teach your own kids, you need to have a license, and training, and monitoring by the "Village" people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:03:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Sure would be nice if the folks studying, writing, and printing this stuff would spend a little more time concearned with their responsibilities as parents, and less time worrying about mine. I was raised in a non-regulated home, by untrained parents, and turned out a pretty good person I think. So do most of the people I have the opportunity to interact with. These people truely amaze me in the "insights" they have into the quality of my childs life based on how many hours they spend at Timmy's house down the street.

Where are their kids while they are out chasing down bad parents? At grandma's house you say.....but she is not trained.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
This is old news here in western Washington. The Times got a lot of heated letters to the editor over this article, too. And truth be told, the Seattle Times often ain't all that liberal. But then, I would expect astute AR15.com members and Seattle times subscribers from California or Florida to already know that.

But the Seattle Port-Intelligencer....now THERE'S a liberal rag.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#14]
What the hell is this bullshit!  Its just another atteemt for the gove to start requiring licesning of all kid watchers...for god sakes, the nex thing you know they will want to start requiring lengthy forms and checks to buy guns....oh, wait a minute...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top