Posted: 2/26/2002 5:06:01 AM EDT
This WEEK !
Send those emails today! :)

Subject:
       RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER STATES Bill
  Date:
       Sat, 23 Feb 2002 06:56:32 -0500
       "Robert Crook"

NOW is the time to contact Public Safety Committee members to SUPORT this bill!!
Make it to the Public hearing if you can. [e-mail list below]

PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE
Public hearing on Thursday, February 28, 2002 following a 10:30 A.M. committee
meeting in Room 1B of the LOB. Sign-up
will begin at 10:00 A.M. outside of Room 1B of the LOB. Please submit 40 copies
of written testimony. The first hour of the
hearing is reserved for legislators and state agency officials. Speakers will
be limited to three minutes of testimony.
Raised Bill No. 366

February Session, 2002

LCO No. 1542

Referred to Committee on Public Safety

AN ACT CONCERNING RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER STATES CONCERNING PERMITS TO CARRY
PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS.

Statement of Purpose:

To honor permits to carry pistols or revolvers issued by other states if their
standards are as stringent as those of Connecticut.

Public Safety Committee:

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
[email protected]

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Here was my e-mail (I live in SC)

[b]Dear Senators and Representatives:

As a former Connecticut resident, I chose to leave the state because I didn't like the direction the state was heading regarding personal freedoms, particularly the right to keep and bear arms, as enumerated in BOTH the US Constitution, and the Connecticut state Constitution.

Now, it is my understanding that you are considering a CCW reciprocity bill to allow permit holders of other states to legally carry a personal defense firearm in Connecticut. As I still have friends and family in Connecticut, and visit several times a year, I believe I have a vested interest in asking you to advance this legislation.

As the Federal "Full Faith and Credit Act" demands, Connecticut is REQUIRED to honor the acts and legislation of other states, INCLUDING CCW reciprocity. While you seem to wish to do this ONLY for states whose CCW requirements are as stringent as Connecticut's, refusing to honor ALL CCW permits of other states will likely end you up, eventually, in a  Constitutional challenge in US Federal court  of your overly stringent requirements.

Gun haters are CERTAIN to oppose this legislation. It is up to you to act courageously, in accordance with Federal law, and BOTH the US and state of Connecticut Constitutions to allow US citizens to defend themselves. Studies of CCW states are PROVING CCW permittees to be MORE law abiding than the general populace. It is high time you stopped treating them like criminals   (understanding of course that out-of-state criminals are ALREADY carrying concealed weapons, and could care less about your laws.) [/b]

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You guys in surrounding states need to JUMP on this!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I just sent an email advocating my support, but something tells me people from NY, NJ, and MA don't really care too much since it is mission impossible to get a CCW in those states.  It sure would be nice if the approved states returned the favor.  I wouldn't mind being able to carry throughout New England, with the exception of the MA since they are strict about no resiprocity.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#4]
BOOoooo!
Well...OK.  I like the idea of non-residents being able to carry here
BUT
this sounds like an attempt at bringing those free states, which do not require a resident to have a permit, [i]into the program[/i].

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top