Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2002 6:12:29 PM EDT
I'm talking about beer, chicks, food, and any other exciting stuff. My buddies and I are spending a few days there on a road trip we're taking for our spring vacation.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
enemy
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
[s]SEX[/s] [b]Still SEX[/b], [s]DRUGS[/s] [b]Hurricanes[/b], AND [s]ROCK N ROLL[/s] [b]JAZZ.[/b]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The only town in the world I didn't have to ask what there was to do.

Eat, drink, eat again, gamble, eat again, swamp boat rides not far away.

If someone walks up and tells you they know where you got those shoes and they want to bet. don't take them up on it.

Ditto on the adams apple...

have fun!

Wish I was going. I have to settle on Orlando and Las Vegas this year.

Next year will be better.

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.insideneworleans.com/events/music/jazzfest/

THIS is all you need to know...
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Great seafood:
Galley Seafood Restaurant
2535 Metairie Road, Metairie, LA 70001
(504) 832-0955

[url]http://yp102.superpages.com/listings.phtml?CID=9999992FB8E&AL=&N=Galley&PG=L&STYPE=S&R=N&S=LA&NA=&PM=00000080&LC=1&PI=1&MC=1&CB=&PP=[/url]

Map:
[url]http://yp102.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.phtml?CID=9999992FB8E&LC=1&N=Galley&PG=L&PI=1&PM=00000080&STYPE=S&R=N&S=LA&AL=&MC=1&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=0299812&lng=-0901509&POI1lat=0299812&POI1lng=-0901509&POI1name=Galley+Seafood+Restaurant&streetaddress=&city=Metairie&state=LA&zip=70001&LID=0014440678&LS=&display=1&AD=&GV=0&GL=&FN=&PP=&CID=9999992FB8E&CB=[/url]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:16:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, since you're on spring break and not an expense account, I won't recommend Commanders Palace for dining - one of the finest restaurants in the country IMO.  The piano bar at Pat O'Brien's is a lot of fun.  Have a Hurricane while there, but I'd suggest only one.  Just walking the Quarter is quite entertaining if you enjoy people watching and sounds.  In the morning, go to Cafe Du'Monde for beingets and coffee.  For something relaxing, take a steamboat ride on the river.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Food:

- Cafe du Monde is an absolute must!!!

- Cafe Masperos is another absolute must!  Their Po' Boy sandwiches are out of this world! This place is almost always busy w/ a line to get in, it's accross from the old JAX brewery which is now a small mall, and is up maybe 2 or 3 blocks from Cafe du Monde.  (Hopefully they haven't moved but if it has ASK WHERE!)

- The Gumbo Shop

- Ralph & Kacoo's (seafood)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
As the official tour guide for New Orleans and the French Quarter (dosen't anyone say 'Vieux Carre' any longer?) for LSU Law School for three years, allow me to add my $0.02.

First, choice of hotels:

Stay in the quarter. The Royal Sonesta at 300 Bourbon Street is my first choice, since it overlooks Bourbon Street, but to save a few bucks try any of the 'French Quarter Hotels', a group of 3 small hotels that can be located on this map:

[url]http://www.frenchquarter.com/?file=map.html[/url]

Their rates are probably the best you'll find.

Choice of Bars:

There's only one must-see bar - Pat O'Brien's at 718 St. Peter. This 'English Theatre' was built in the second year of George Washington's first term as President!

Choice of Food:

Almost anywhere. But avoid places like Antoine's and Court of the Two Sisters, and other commercial joints, where their motto seems to be get 'em in, get 'em out! My favorite restaurant is Galatoire's at 209 Bourbon Street, simply because that's where a lot of the 'Old Nawlins' folk go to dinner. It is a long and leisurely dining experience! $25.00 - $50.00 per person, lunch/dinner.

But even the worst restaurant in the Quarter will be better than most anywhere else!

What to Do:

Go to the Aquarium of the Americas located on the Mississippi River at the corner of Canal and Decatur in downtown New Orleans.  It is one of the top 10 aquariums in the United States, housing an incredible number of exhibits. The Aquarium also houses an IMAX theater, with the worlds largest movie screen.

Stroll the French Quarter, go to the Cafe du Monde on Jackson Square, anytime, for some cafe au lait and beignets (powdered donuts, sort of). Go to Central Grocery on Decatur, just down from the Cafe du Monde and see what a grocery store in Sicily might have looked like 50 years ago. It was where muffaletta sandwiches were first made, and still are!

Buy a muffy sandwich, get a coke, and go sit on Moon Walk that's on the Mississippi. Watch the ships steam by, there's a Navy port across the River in Algiers.

Take the Canal Street ferry across the River at night - it's free! It gives you a real good view of the Quarter!

Eric The(AndDon'tCallIt'TheBigEasy'Please)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:23:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Choice of Food:

Almost anywhere. But avoid places like Antoine's and Court of the Two Sisters, and other commercial joints, where their motto seems to be get 'em in, get 'em out! My favorite restaurant is Galatoire's at 209 Bourbon Street, simply because that's where a lot of the 'Old Nawlins' folk go to dinner. It is a long and leisurely dining experience! $25.00 - $50.00 per person, lunch/dinner.

Eric The(AndDon'tCallIt'TheBigEasy'Please)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I keep seeing the locals recommend Galatoire's.  Must simply be a local thing.  When I went there, the experience was awful.  Our waiter looked like some drunken slob they pulled off the street and the service was terrible - very impersonal and he didn't even pour our wine.  The food was OK but not worth standing in line for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Lord, Houston, we have a problem.

Did you go there in 1999, perhaps? They were in the process of renovating the interior and I noticed that things were not as they usually were then,

But we've since been back on at least six or more occasions, and were satisfied as usual.

You are right, the locals do swear by it!

Maybe the wait staff thinks we're locals? My mother's family is from New Orleans, and I do speak their language! It's almost Brooklynese!
From what I gather, the immigration patters into New Orleans were the same as for Brooklyn, so maybe when you throw in the same percentages of Italians, Irish, and Germans, you'll always get someone who sounds like Bugs Bunny!

Eric The(AndIMeanThatInTheBestPossibleWay)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Eric, it was probably more like 1989.  I've been to New Orleans since then, but had no desire to return to Galatoire's.

Actually, I always thought that speech pattern sounded Bostonian.

BTW, do you the name of that place that famous for its barbeque shrimp.  It's just off St. Charles St.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#15]
[b]Houston[/b], are you referring to Arnaud's Restaurant, perhaps?

That is the restaurant where the reception was for Mary Matalin and James 'Serpenthead' Carville, after they were married in Nawlins.

Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Street also has barbecued shrimp, as does K-Paul's Kitchen.

Eric The(WhereverItIsYou'llLoveIt)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[b]Houston[/b], are you referring to Arnaud's Restaurant, perhaps?

That is the restaurant where the reception was for Mary Matalin and James 'Serpenthead' Carville, after they were married in Nawlins.

Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Street also has barbecued shrimp, as does K-Paul's Kitchen.

Eric The(WhereverItIsYou'llLoveIt)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Pascal's Manale is what I was thinking of.  
Although the wife and I do like Arnaud's very much.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top