Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2002 5:45:00 PM EDT
You have a very nice state. I visited it all last week and I have to say it is very beautiful toward the coast and in the Cascades. I am still in college, but It seems like a good possibility for a home when I graduate. Anywhere but judgemental Utah. I also love the fact that you can buy all your hunting tags in one group purchase for $105. OH, OH, and they even pump your gas for you. You guys have it made. No sales tax. Nice state. However I don't like the fact that your ducks beat my aggies in football. You could have at least gave us a chance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#1]
You sound very judgemental towards Utah in your post. Stay away.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
yea, it maybe an ok state, but have fun getting your finger prints taken when purchasing a handgun... :-/
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
And the gun show loophole being closed. You can't buy or sell at a gunshow without getting a background check any longer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Oregon more than Washington, but there are other western states that kick more ASS.    I especially like Southern OR, Eastern OR and the Portland metro area.  I had the impression that there was a lot of meth and dope in rural Oregon. In a way, its kind of cool because of the free spirit down there, but in a way I feel its tragic.  

Maybe I am biased because I saw the vice squad move in on a house across the street from the PO and I knew a guy who had an illegal SBR with an MGW drum across the street from the police station. Guys at my mill had ballpoint ink waffen SS tatoos from their in-prison associations. Wierd stuff like gals disappearing without a trace and WWII war heros getting murdered.  I guess every region has its problems, but they are pretty visible in Oregon.

I feel like an ingrate, but I am looking forward to another region.  There are some absolutely fantastic things about OR, but it's time for a CHANGE.  

Forgot to mention that I think OR hunting regulations are a royal PITA.  In Idaho, you buy your sportsman's tag for $75 odd and you can murder everything in the woods.  You want to hunt bow in OR, you can't hunt rifle except for controlleds.  I am too much of a jackass to plan for hunts.  I like going when friends have time off and when the urge strikes you.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a fair trade: enigma2y0u for Ustulina. [;)]

I have lived in many places across this great country but I call this home. Like everywhere there are good things and not-so-good things. I just happen to like the good things more than the not-so-good things here. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It really sucks to live in this state.  Everyone usually ends up hating it.  Especially all those people from California.  So don't bother.

Oh yea, stay away from Iceland too.  The women are ugly and they hate outsiders.

Just doing my part...

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anywhere but judgemental Utah.
View Quote

Oregon is a pretty cool place, I miss going down to the ocean.

We'll miss ya, enigma2yOu.[>Q]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I lived in Oregon (Eugene) more than half my life, and I'm planning on moving back some day(probably to the coastal Florence area).

If you want to move to Western Oregon, learn to love rain. It rains all year round. Though not quite as often in the summer. But in the summer the coast is very windy (the tree branches actually hang up thanks to the wind).

I do love it though, and crabbing, clamming and fishing kicks ass!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
they even pump your gas for you.
View Quote

That was one of the things I hated the most when I lived in Oregon.

Waiting at the pump for some dumba$$ minimum wage moron to come out and service me, just to have him lean all over my new car.

While you can't pump your own gas, you have to bag your groceries at most stores.

Southern Oregon:  (medford)

The first question the State Police ask when you get pulled over is "do you have a job?"

Be young with a nice car and be prepared to get pulled over and ticketed EVERY time you see a cop.

Don't be Catholic, they aren't too welcome.

Make sure you pronounce it 'Ory-gun' or everyone will correct you.

If you drive a sportscar, be prepared to be trapped in the valleys during the winter.  State Police won't let you over the mountains w/out tire chains.

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Graat place if ya wanna be up to your elbows in communists and anarchists! Come join the fun if you are a patriot activist! We have too many who come for the good stuff, but don't want to take time to fight the good (and fun) fight...... (before flames, check my profile..)[bounce]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up there, but moved away several years ago.

It's a strange state. the demographics have been changing lately as the Portland area attracts more of the population, which tends to focus state government on the needs and wants of the urbanites. (Often lefties).

The downstate timber counties have their own problems; the decline of the timber industry hit their tax base and jobs base. There's a fair amount of meth-cooking and dope-growing down south.

It's a beautiful state, though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I was pretty much born and raised in Oregon, lived in cali and alaska during my youth, and I like this state. I have the best of both worlds, mountains, forests, TREES! Ocean, desert, beautiful lakes and streams, I actually take it for granted until a conversation comes along. Like right now I'm sitting at my desk by the city, soon I will take a 40 minute drive and be in BFE to play with my guns.

Most of my friends that leave out of state for college or even a change of pace, almost all come back within 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Born and raised in Eastern Oregon. Payed my penatence in the dreary valley at OSU. Oregon has changed for the worse. Crime in Bend is up 20%, unemployment leads the nation (15% where I live!). Portland and Eugene force many laws onto the rest of the state. Portland and Eugene are primarily democratic and have resulted in some hunting and gun laws that are upsetting. I am seriously considering leaving. Too many people fall in love with the state, move here, and can't make it financially. I would re-consider if i were you.

Karl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top