Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2002 11:34:59 AM EDT
Does anyone know if military uniforms and gear is tax deductible if you did not receive a clothing allowance?  I am in the guard, but my unit was activated for 3 months in 2001, if that makes a difference.  If it is deductible please let me know where I should enter that.  I didn’t see anything on turbo tax that fit it exactly.  Would it just be a non reimbursed work expense?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#1]
military related gear IS tax deductable if you are not receiving a clothing allowance. and it is covered under work related expenses. you should not have any problem in your circumstance
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Never made enough $$$ or had enough deductions when I was active to itemize my taxes.  But I would assume that you should be able to, it should be under job related expenses that were not reimbursed.  Try this link [url]http://www.irs.gov/individuals/display/0,,i1%3D1%26genericId%3D14283,00.html[/url]

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
So could I also include the cost of haircuts, and a health club membership as unreimbursed work expenses since I must have a certain length of hair, and must stay physically fit?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So could I also include the cost of haircuts, and a health club membership as unreimbursed work expenses since I must have a certain length of hair, and must stay physically fit?
View Quote

Yes. You can also write off cetain periodical subscriptions, certain field gear, boots, dry cleaning, etc.

Depending on your MOS you may be able to write off ammo and firearm purchases (pro rated.)  

The issue is that you must subtract any clothing allowance first. You also must be prepared to look the man in the eye (Mr. IRS) and justify the expenses. If you keep it plausable it shouldn't be a problem.

I would caution not to get too creative.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the document xsquid linked to, page 14:

"Health Spa Expenses
You cannot deduct health spa expenses, even if there is a job requirement to stay in excellent physical condition, such as might be required of a law enforcement officer."

-BP
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Depending on your MOS you may be able to write off ammo and firearm purchases (pro rated.)  

The issue is that you must subtract any clothing allowance first. You also must be prepared to look the man in the eye (Mr. IRS) and justify the expenses. If you keep it plausable it shouldn't be a problem.

I would caution not to get too creative.  
View Quote

So if I am an 11B, light infantry, I might be able to deduct the cost of buying an AR and a few thousand rounds of ammo?  Right now we only shoot 200 rounds max per year, which obviously isn't very much.  

I didn't find anything about that in the doc that xsquid linked.  I don't suppose anyone knows what that falls under, or have a link to more info on it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
It must be something that is specified in some written form as being a requirement.  Being in uniform is easily covered.  A clean, pressed uniform: covered.  Hair cut within regulation: covered.  $1200 bicycle to stay in shape: not covered.  You just have to be in shape, a gym is NOT a requirement.  Especially since most bases have a free gym for active duty.

You can even deduct half of your basic phone bill (that's half of what the cheapest rate is to just have a phone)if you're on a telephone recall status.  

I was never able to add up enough of these to make a difference on itemization so I didn't bother, but I did verify all of it.

If you get audited, you'll need the written requirements (uniform regs, command regs for the recall, etc)to support the claim.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top