Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2002 9:26:25 AM EDT
Hey everybody: Tonite at 10Pm eastern time, VH-1 is having a show on guns. It looks very anti-gun, the preview starts with a guy shooting a full auto firearm with a background voice-over saying " Having a gun makes me feel all powerful"...then it flashes to a guy in a hopital spitting up blood.

Please everyone try to watch this, I'll tape it and get the producers' contact info and name for comments. Me must start to write to these people and expressing our viewpoint.

Thanks....Mayday
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure that you don't mean MTV, because I saw that comercial yeaterday watching the realworld.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I just checked my Comcast Digital cable and it says that on VH1@ 10 is some shit story about the jacksons so I doubt it is on that channel but when I checked on MTV it says "To be announced" and that usually means it's something new so I would bet its on left-wing commie MTV.i was at a few gun shows in Maryland over the summer and I met with Phyllip Seymore Hoffman(boogienights,Talented Mr.Ripley, and many other movies) and he was doing a documentary on gun shows so and I got to talk with him a little bit (dont know is I was being filmed) so I hope to see me on there!

[b][i]Come for my guns...........I'll give ya the bullets first![/i][/b][50]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#3]
the show is called "Flipped" on MTV at 10:30pm EST.

(looks like i'll be sending a nasty-gram to MTV tomorrow)
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#4]
You guys think I should go downtown to the studio and be a one man protest?  [:)]  
"DOWN WITH BRITNEY'S TOP"
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Flipped:
Flipped is a cross between Fantasy Island and Scared Straight--a new type of reality show where real people become unsuspecting actors in what could be their own worst nightmare. They surrender their lives for 24 hours and face the consequences of their actions or experience the other side of a situation in mock, but very realistic, scenarios.

[b] Episode 204: Gun Awareness
Gun Awareness is the issue at hand as Flipped investigates this social concern.[/b]

---the above statement reads as though "gun Awareness" is a social concern.  I guess it is since most people are unaware.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw the ad for MTV tonight. Typical anti-gun bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Went to the MTV site and this is what I found.  I think that we should be able to catch it one of these days and times.

Episode 204: Gun Awareness
Gun Awareness is the issue at hand as Flipped investigates this social concern.

Air Times:
Monday, Feb 25 @ 10 PM
Wednesday, Feb 27 @ 1 PM
Friday, Mar 01 @ 6 PM
Saturday, Mar 02 @ 11 AM
Saturday, Mar 02 @ 5 PM
Saturday, Mar 02 @ 10 PM
Sunday, Mar 03 @ 9 AM
Sunday, Mar 03 @ 3 PM
Monday, Mar 04 @ 3 PM
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm tempted to do away with cable so I don't contribute to MTV, VH1, CNN, etc...
It pisses me to no end to be forced to support those bastards if I want anything other than basic local TV.  

AT&T recently removed The Golf Channel, SciFi and Speed Vision from it's cable line up in Atlanta.  Naturally MTV, BET etc. stayed. They knew affluent north Fulton county residents would opt for the new more expensive service in order to keep golf and Speed Vision.  

Why can't we pick the channels we want without having to pick from bastardized packages that include offensive and unwanted channels?

More evidence that all monopolies and oligopolies eventually turn corrupt and evil.  Microsoft comes to mind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Turn of the TV and spend time with your family.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I stopped watching MTV long ago because they turned to crap long ago.  This show is no surprise.  They went 'wigger' many moons ago.  They show very few music videos, have many social programs, etc.  They, like HBO, have gotten far away from what originally made them successful.  HBO has many 'social' programs, a few being anti-gun.  They have too many sports shows, talk shows, and 'original' productions.  Both HBO and MTV could never be on another cable lineup and it would not bother me in the least.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish I could pick the channels I wanted, I would get Fox news, TNN, and the History channel
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if MTV would do a "Flipped" show where they take someone who is anti-gun and flip them by taking them to a gun show or an NRA sponsored gun class?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
This is a great reason to make a statement. Boycott cable (and satellite for that matter).
Everybody wins in this.

You don't sit in front of the idiot box all day and can go do something constructive.

The cable company, and MTV, don't get their money. ( You have to tell them WHY you are cancelling, or they won't get the point).

Finally, if enough people do it, it sends a message that there are far more pro-gun people out there than the media would have us believe.

This is just my two cents. I get about three channels, when the wind isn't blowing, and I know I'm not missing a damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Spending time with the family is certainly laudible, but that answer totally misses the point. Why do I have to pay for channels I consider offensive and, if nothing else, anti-American so I can get the few channels I enjoy?

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Better yet, get rid of your TV all together.  

-Markl32, no cable, no TV.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#17]
For heaven's sake write or email MTV and let those pricks know how we feel.  We gotta start speaking out!
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
MTV, like HBO, Time-Life, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, NYT, LAT and all the rest couldn't care less what anyone right of center thinks. Your time will be better spent letting the sponsors know how you feel about their sponsorship of the offending shows.  

Example: K-Mart evidently didn't learn their lesson with Rosie did they? Now they have hired another white-America hater, Spike Lee. Are they that dense?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Better yet, get rid of your TV all together.  

-Markl32, no cable, no TV.
View Quote

Amen.  Ditched the whole shooting match before my firstborn arrived.  Got one 7 inch TV with rabbit ears for weather alerts and a 19 inch hooked to a VCR for educational videos for the kids.  AND NO DISNEY!  Got time for the Three Mutant Offspring.  Even with AR15.com!
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I refuse to watch that anti-gun crap, because it just gets my blood pressure up.

I would love to be able to get rid of it, but there are some things I like to watch.  Programs like "Tales of the Gun" reruns on the History Channel are the only reason I keep cable.  ESPN is the only station that still shows any karate or boxing.  I wish I could pick just the channels I want.  Maybe I could find a lawyer to sue the cable company for some sort of discrimination.  Juries in the PRK love discrimination suits.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Well all it showed was what happens when guns are in the hands of idiots and gang bangers.  Made an anti out of an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got done watching. One word can describe it: Trash. Pure and simple trash. Of course they made out all gun owners as irresponsible(by shooting guns with live rounds into the air, pulling the trigger thinking it was unloaded, by getting angry easy, etc.). One of the doctors said that if a person is shot he is more likely to die than from a knife wound. That is totally false. John Lott made this point in his book: it is the other way around, that a knife wound is more fatal than a gunshot. The doc also said that most cases they get is from gun shots. I find that hard to believe, given that gun deaths is a small type of overall deaths. Of course, most of the other deaths aren't as dramatic: a cancer patient dying, etc. He also mentioned that more deaths occur from guns than cars. Another falsehood. One lady said "because of it was a gun, he didn't have a chance." Of course that is totally wrong, as usually. Maybe the kid should have picked better friends!
They also only showed the bad side: people dying from gun wounds. I have a good idea for flipped. Take a hard core anti-gunner, and have them live and experience the aftermath of a gun fight, where a gun saved a life. There is literally MILLIONS of stories on this, compared to the smaller number of deaths.
Typical Liberal show full of lies.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Just finished watching also, I gotta say that it definately was a load of shit that I just watched for all of the reasons that Liberty mentioned.  Definately a scare tactic by gun grabbers to paint all gun owners as irresponsible morons who are hell bent on death.  The show almost embodied the liberal statistics that EVERYONE is dying from gunshots!  That's the whole episode!  All of the patients and victims were from gunshots!!!  Made me wonder if they shot this episode over a couple of months.  They also showed a gunshot victim, which they made out to be recent, but the scar tissue was fully formed and the wound looked old.  What a load of crap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]
The only thing I liked was the Tenacious D commercial.  Jack Black cracks me up!!!  Other than that the show was overflowing with leftist propaganda.  If that crazy dude approached me that way, he would've been the next victim in the trauma center not me.

[frag]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I had my angry letter typing finger all limbered up for nothing. Stupid show with stupid people and stupid situations.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't owned (or borrowed) a T.V. for almost two years. The only time i see one on is at my parents house where my dads free time revolves around the "boob tube". I seem to get a headache when i visit [:)]

Its funny when i tell people that i dont own a T.V. [:D] they look at you as if your some sort of weirdo; like your "supposed" to not live without one. Really though, what ever is good on T.V.? the only things that ever interest me anymore are likely to be on History, A&E, Cartoon network, and the Discovery channel. Sitcoms? HA! i grew up watching those things and the only difference between then and now are the names and style of the charachters.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I think you guys that have your "core" set of channels are missing one. Regular FOX. I mean Simpsons, Futurama, 70's show, Titus, Dark Angel.

They have at least one good show on every night almost (Not Thursdays or Saturdays)
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Want to know what the TV stations think when they hear that large numbers of gun owners watch these types of shows just so they can point out the faults of the show later?

Higher ratings.

This is why I have taken to boycotting certain shows that I find particularly bias, such as “20-20” and “60 minutes”.

If you have to see this despicable episode to decide whether you should discontinue watching the program, than do so, but just don’t make a habit out of it.

Remember: Networks want to attract as much viewing attention as possible to their programs, even if this attention is negative.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#29]
F the media.  There are 'creative' ways to get free tv..

lol

QS
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Realism is that lowest public denominator to which all propaganda is targeted.. Pathetic mind gobbles up government feces like a garbage disposal on the fritz, and there's no repair man in sight.

Having a gun does NOT  make me feel "all powerful", but it sure does make that guy at the end of my dark hallway in the middle of the night feel somewhat less invincible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They have at least one good show on every night almost (Not Thursdays or [i]Saturdays[/i])
View Quote

COPS?!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#32]
i got a tv with bunny ears and all i pretty much use it for is watching/copy fansubs on my vcrs and using the dvd player.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I am going to take a different approach to this.  I did not see the show and my flame suit is on, btw.

I don't mind MTV portraying guns in a negative light.  Think of thier audience.  Young, poor, unemployed, innner-city trash.  

MTV has spent plenty of time protraying gang members as heroes, pop culture icons to be admired.  Gangs, violence, music, drugs, guns all tend to be shown to the MTV audience as desirable career choices.   MTV has a track record of portraying irresponsible behavior as a POSITIVE trait.

What is wrong with MTV doing a little 'deprogramming' of their audience?  How many youths in the inner city today NEED to have guns glorified?  Shooting guns in the air, recklessly pulling a trigger, not taking SAFETY seriously are the standard operating procedures of gang bangers.

What is wrong with MTV trying to break down that myth?  Afterall, they are responsible for creating the image in the first place.

Imagine that MTV's portrayal discourages an inner city youth from buying into the "Gotta getta Gat!" "Gonna busta Cap!" mentality.

Not a bad thing imho.  Maybe the show starts a few of the audience members on the road to responsibility.

Maybe next week they will do a show about unwed mothers, delinquent fathers, and the ills of socialized medicine.  

Who knows, maybe one day they will even start telling kids how unsafe it is to drive a car with their tires sticking out past the fender, rims that are too large for the tire that is mounted on it, and hearing loss from 1000 watt speaker systems?

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Not a bad thing imho. Maybe the show starts a few of the audience members on the road to responsibility.
View Quote

Valid point, but why should the media have to deliberately distort the facts in [i]either[/i] direction? Regardless of whether they're showing gangstas with guns or snotty-nosed punks with guns,  MTV still hasn't shown any examples of responsible gun ownership. To deny that guns can be used for positive reasons is a disservice both to MTV's audience and  gun owners.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Ah, yes. The right to modify ones automobile into oddball configurations, being necessary to the freedom of people, should not be infringed in any way.

good one.

[bounce]

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#36]
RedGoat makes a good point, but is incorrect in stating that MTV's primary audience is gang-banger urban youth.  
 MTV, as well as most hardcore rap, is primarily targeted to white, suburban youth.  Shockingly, around 90% of all of these rap albums are purchased by suburban white "utes."  

MTV targets these same kids with their liberal, afrocentric programming nonsense.  This is what really pisses me off about the whole thing: the stupid suburban white kids can't get enough of this shit, and spend lots of mommy and daddy's $$$ to support this brood of liberal assholes. [stick]

Very ironic, isn't it?

[soapbox]  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top