Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2001 4:03:33 PM EDT
I would like to buy my first pistol in May and I'm considering many guns.  I'm looking at .40S&W pistols and I would prefer DA, which the glock doesn't have.  I can also get .357Sig and 9mm barrels for the P229.  Is there any reason I should consider the glock?  People tell me its a good gun, but I don't see why.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned Glocks in 40 S&W (The models 22 & 27), and I currently own a Sig P220 (45) and a Sig P245 (45). While I didn't have any BAD experiences with the Glocks, I, too, found it desirable to have a double-action, rather than the double-action only model Glock. The Sig is available in DAO, but I haven't seen too many guys using that model. I carry my guns on the job, so I bought the Sigs as soon as I could afford them. The Glocks always worked for me, I just chose the Sig as a personal preference. The local FBI is currently in transition beween the Sig and the Glock. These are two of the most widely used guns in the world. I would recommend either of them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I see this topic come up all the time and it is a difficult one to answer.  If this is your first pistol I would go witht he Glock and this is why.  You can't do anything to f*ck them up.  These guns were meant to be shot over and over and over and can do so with little care.  That is not to say the Sig 229 is a bad gun.  Actually, I own one and like it better than any Glock but it also requires more care.  It must be kept very clean and it also costs more money.  

On the topic of barrels you can switch barrels for the Sig, but I believe you can do the same for the Glocks.  However, on the Sig if you go to a 9mm you would also have to change clips and probably the recoil spring.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, the Glock handgun is not in a league with the Sig. The only handgun that can vie with the Sig for quality, accuracy, and reliability out of box is the Heckler & Koch USP. We had a looooong discussion or three here about the relative merits of the three, and I will find the links to the threads in a moment.

here we are.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=7982[/url]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Actually, the Glock handgun is not in a league with the Sig. The only handgun that can vie with the Sig for quality, accuracy, and reliability out of box is the Heckler & Koch USP. We had a looooong discussion or three here about the relative merits of the three, and I will find the links to the threads in a moment.

here we are.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=7982[/url]
View Quote

Good advice. I agree.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mind having to give a little extra attention to the Sig to keep it clean, hell I own AR's, but that is a good point and I didn't know that about the Sig.  One note I forgot to mention was the likeliness for the Glock to go "KaBoom" in .40 and .45.  I have seen a few posts around here about it.  There is also a site featuring this type of failure (I'm sure you've all seen it).  The author of the site blaims the failure on "unsupported chamber mouths", where the feed ramp is actually cut into the mouth of the chamber leaving a portion of the cartridge case unsupported.  Is it true that Glocks are more likely to let go in .40 than other pistols?  Also, does the Sig feature an unsupported chamber?
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Handle both firearms and decide on that alone. They are both good firearms but the one that fits you best is the one for you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think you can go wrong here. I have carried both on duty and have put thousands of rounds through both. No failures with either. I am now carrying an issued 229, if I leave this department the pistol is going with me!

The way I see it is Sigs are the best of the "conventional" pistols, Glocks are the best of the "unconventional" pistols. I'd pick whichever feels best in your fist, both will give unerring performance, IMHO.

The accessory rail on the new Glocks is a big selling point! Sig needs to do that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both of these fine pistols, love em both and would never part with either.  Butt... if I had to pick one, it would be the Glock.  I am just not a big DA/SA fan.  I like the striker trigger. The Glock is also rugged as a tank.  It also doesn't cost an arm and a leg so you aren't as worried about it dropping. The Sig does have the best DA/SA trigger though.  The Sig also fits my hand much better.  But mostly they are different feels to the guns.  To me the Glock is like wearing jeans and a leather jacket.  The Sig a Canali suit.  Try em both out and see which you feel is best. You aren't going to go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
slt223,
I heard you mention about the Glocks going "Kaboom".  I really wouldn't worry too much about this happening because each pistol has it's own reoccuring problems.  Yes, I have heard of this happening to Glocks.  Yes, it is a reoccuring problem, but it isn't as if it happens very much.  Just when something does go wrong this is what tends to happen.  Just to give you an idea the Sig 229 is known for the frame cracking and the H&K USP is known for shattered firing pins.  Hey, no design is perfect and either gun will serve you well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Glocks in .40 go 'kaboom' because people shoot bad reloads and lead bullets in them.  The Glock is cheaper and more tolerant of crappy maintenance, the Sig is better made.   The Sig points better for me and fits my hand better, but the Glock is nice, too.  Muzzle flip is much more noticeable in the Glock, at least for me.  Find a range where you can shoot both and pick the one that feels best to you.  Both are excellent pistols that will serve you well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top