Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 7:32:24 PM EDT
1 Dead, 10 Hurt in Biker Gang Brawl

By FRANK ELTMAN
.c The Associated Press

PLAINVIEW, N.Y. (AP) - Rival motorcycle gangs armed with daggers, baseball bats and a machine gun clashed at an indoor motorcycle and tattoo expo called the Hellraiser Ball, authorities said. One man was killed and at least 10 people were injured.

About 60 people were in custody Saturday night and the number could grow, said Nassau County Chief of Detectives Herbert Faust.

Faust said four people were shot, one fatally, and others injured when the fight erupted around 4:15 p.m. at the Vanderbilt, a concert and catering hall in Plainview, N.Y.

Faust said the fight broke out between members of the Hells Angels motorcycle club, whose Long Island chapter sponsored the event, and a rival gang, the Pagans.

As many as 100 Pagans showed up at the event, which drew about 1,000 people, many of them Hells Angels members, Faust said.

``There's been a long-standing feud between the two motorcycle gangs,'' he said. ``At some point, there was a major conflict. We have gunshots, we have people stabbed, a major fight.''

Several people who fled the scene were apprehended nearby, Nassau County Police Commissioner William Willett said.

Police also recovered numerous daggers, baseball bats and an Uzi automatic weapon, Faust said.

The expo had been under surveillance by police, but was not expected to be violent, he said.

``We had surveillance. We were aware of the event. We had no reason to believe it would have erupted into this type of conflict,'' he said.

One man died in surgery and two others were being treated at North Shore University Hospital in Plainview, according to Betty Olt, a hospital spokeswoman. She would not describe their injuries.

Nassau University Medical Center was treating eight injured people, hospital spokeswoman Shelley Lotenberg said.

Police were searching for more suspects.

Scott Casagrande of Medford, N.Y., said he was displaying a motorcycle at the show when he saw ``a herd of people running toward us, saying 'Get out, get out, there's gunshots.'''

``Everybody ran,'' he added. ``I heard gunfire downstairs but I thought nothing of it because a band was playing. It was very loud.''

According to the event's Web site, tattoo and piercing artists, motorcycle shops and other vendors paid up to $300 to rent space at the expo.

AP-NY-02-23-02 2225EST
View Quote

Suuure it was a machine gun [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

It couldn't be--NFA items are illegal in New York, and no one ever breaks gun control laws. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It couldn't be--NFA items are illegal in New York, and no one ever breaks gun control laws. [rolleyes]
View Quote

Machine gun my arse, it was probably just a Tec-9. If its black and scarry looking they call it a machine gun out there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Of course they do, Zak, and with the police watching, you know they wouldn't do anything illegal.[:D]  Criminals obey all gun laws, that's why NY passes so many.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#4]
But NY isn't a class 3 state! Just HOW could it be possible for someone to acquire a Machine Gun[?]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
oh wait this is liong island.

aren even hasdguns illegal there.. sheeesh
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
it was probably just a Tec-9. If its black and scarry looking they call it a machine gun out there.
View Quote

It was actually a M11 9mm. The news guys here kept calling it an Uzi.(Dumb-asses)
The cops got 3 shotguns, 3handguns and the M11.
Brass Knuckles, 2 Tables of Knives, and Various clubs, bats, ax handles, and a collapsible baton.
All hell broke loose at the event due to the Pagans showing up at a Hells Angels event. All the Pagans were apparently from VA, PA and other states. (no NYer's)

I know this doesn't help law abiding gunowners but I love this stuff.

JerrY
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#7]
This reminds me of a story I heard about a year ago. There was an officer involved shooting. The story said a man came at the police with a Machinegun Assualt rifle. They were showing the police around the house and a Police officer moving the rifle away from the seen. The camera man zoomed in on the "machinegun assualt rifle" and the reporter made a point to say that appears to be the gun that was involved in the shooting, there it was a 10/22 with a 25 round mag, an all weather version to be exact. Reporters will do anything to make things sound worse. The officer did shoot the guy and I dont blame him if a guy came at him with a rifle I believe he had everyright to do so.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You know the Liberal NY media is going to hype up the story!

Why doesn't NY simply ban motorcycle clubs? That'll fix it![;D]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Did anyone notice that the Chief of Detectives name was Faust?  I think made a deal with the true Devil, Hilary Clinton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top