Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2002 12:39:05 AM EDT
That is a actual quote.  Why is it that attempts at insults by North Korea never sount right in English?  Remember "Yankee Imperialist Running Dog"?

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea (news - web sites) angrily rejected President Bush (news - web sites)'s call for dialogue, dismissing him on Friday as a ''politically backward child'' bent on using arms and money to change the North's communist political system.

In North Korea's first reaction to Bush's 40-hour visit to South Korea (news - web sites) this week, a Foreign Ministry statement said the U.S. president had insulted North Korean leader Kim Jong-il by criticizing its political system and economic failings.

Bush renewed an unconditional U.S. offer for talks with North Korea, but also criticized the lack of food and freedom in the North and said his earlier provocative ``axis of evil'' remarks were aimed at the North's government, not its people.

``Bush's outbursts against the DPRK system are an insult to the national feelings of the Korean people,'' said the statement, carried by the North's official Korea Central News Agency (KCNA).

DPRK is the acronym of North Korea's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

``The DPRK can never pardon anyone who dares pull up its supreme headquarters and slander its political system though he is a man bereft of an elementary reason or a politically backward child,'' it said.

``We are not willing to have contact with his clan,'' it said. ``Useless is such dialogue advocated by the U.S. to find a pretext for invasion.''

Bush said the United States had ``no intention of invading North Korea'' but said the 37,000 U.S. troops based in South Korea would defend the South if needed against threats posed by the North's arsenal of weapons of mass destruction.

NORTH VITRIOL SPARES SOUTH

However, while North Korea dug deep into its store of vitriolic phrases to respond to Bush's comments, it made no criticism of South Korean President Kim Dae-jung (news - web sites) despite Kim's having voiced shared concern at the North's weapons programs.

Most analysts in South Korea say they expect North Korea to continue to avoid taking up Bush's offer for talks with the United States, but to probe Seoul's repeated offers to return to an already agreed program of exchanges.

Kim has pursued a ``Sunshine Policy'' of engaging North Korea and seeking peaceful coexistence with the North. Bush's tough stance on North Korea created strains which the two men worked hard to reconcile this week in Seoul.

Kim Dae-jung was eloquently silent at a news conference with Bush when asked if he had any misgivings about Bush's view that North Korea, Iran and Iraq form an ``axis of evil.''
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
South Korean Unification Minister Jeong Se-hyun chaired a National Security Council meeting late Friday to discuss ways to draw North Korea back to dialogue it broke off last year.

``There are already many proposals and offers on the table,'' a ministry official said, referring to a call South Korea made last month for talks on resuming reunions of families cut off by the Korean political divide since the 1950-53 Korean War.

``North Korea is probably interested in discussing food and fertilizer aid,'' he told Reuters.

Another official was quoted by local media as saying the North's statement was at least partly for domestic consumption and did not necessarily rule out U.S.-North Korea talks.

NORTH KOREAN FACE, FEARS

Last month, Kim Dae-jung, urged North Korea to take up a longstanding U.S. offer to hold talks, but also called for American gestures to ``help North Korea save face.''

Bush calmed nerves in South Korea by tempering his tough rhetoric with renewed calls for dialogue with the North.

But many analysts said Bush cut close to the bone when he criticized Kim Jong-il, an object of state-led cult worship who KCNA this week called a ``great man born of heaven.''

Bush told a news conference: ``I am concerned about a country that is not transparent, that develops weapons of mass destruction.''

``I think the burden of proof is on the North Korean leader to prove that he does care about his people,'' he said after remarks about deadly food shortages in North Korea.

[red]North Korea returned what it called Bush's ``slander'' by reminding him of the disputed 2000 U.S. presidential election that brought him to office.

``It is ridiculous for him to imagine that the DPRK's political system is the same with that of the U.S. where he took up the presidency with the votes of less than half of the electorate,'' the foreign ministry said.[/red]

It also blamed U.S. policies for the North's predicament.

``His loud-mouthed 'mass-destruction weapons' and 'starvation' are a product of the hostile policy toward the DPRK, and military threat and economic blockade against it (that) the U.S. has persisted in for over half a century,'' the statement said.

In a reminder of the misery Bush highlighted in Seoul, South Korea reported Friday the recent arrival of 20 new defectors who fled economic hardship, bringing this year's total to 74. Last year, a record 583 North Koreans defected to the South
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, Lets get this strait, A country who's supreme leader, played with dolls until well into his thirties, while waiting for his father to die, so that he could take over the peoples paradise of North Korea.

Is calling our leader childish?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I think he meant "politically incorrect," which is a compliment in my book.

Aside from the, "don't piss off the commies, we're better red than dead," left wing cowards, who really cares?

Eddie
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Apparently the DPRK doesn't realize that we could do the exact same thing to them that we did to Afghanistan, and there's not a single thing that they and their 3 biggest friends could do to prevent it. I think it's time to start giving these Third World countries a choice - do what the hell we tell them to, or become Fourth World countries.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Apparently the DPRK doesn't realize that we could do the exact same thing to them that we did to Afghanistan, and there's not a single thing that they and their 3 biggest friends could do to prevent it. I think it's time to start giving these Third World countries a choice - do what the hell we tell them to, or become Fourth World countries.
View Quote

I'm not sure they have three friends, but the one they do have is not exactly small.  There's no way we want to attack North Korea and by extension, get into a war with China on their back doorstep.  Although all the countries involved have changed since the 1950's, I'm not anxious to repeat the Korean War.  Don't kid yourself that China would let us park aircraft carriers off her coast to conduct a war on North Korea, and I don't imagine South Korea or Japan would be too eager to let us use their airbases.  Any attack by air on North Korea would certainly precipitate a response on the ground toward South Korea.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#6]
All your backward child are belong to us !!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, we [i]did[/i] call them part of the 'axis of evil'... It's not like we didn't expect a response.

That being said, what a bunch of jackasses!  Shame their people don't know any better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There's no way we want to attack North Korea and by extension, get into a war with China on their back doorstep.  Although all the countries involved have changed since the 1950's, I'm not anxious to repeat the Korean War.  Don't kid yourself that China would let us park aircraft carriers off her coast to conduct a war on North Korea, and I don't imagine South Korea or Japan would be too eager to let us use their airbases.  Any attack by air on North Korea would certainly precipitate a response on the ground toward South Korea.
View Quote

You are mistaken.  Bush has put any future "war" with N. Korea as a war on terrorism.  China would most likely not want to stand in the way of an international effort to rid the world of terrorist activities.  In fact, we would probably use China as an ally IF something were to happen in that region.  If China were to intervene after we parked our aircraft carriers in international waters, I think they'd have a bigger problem than they could bite off.  

China postures more than anything else.  They know their economy is afloat because of our own and they would have to be suicidal to provoke us into battle.  If some smartass wants to point out the spy plane incident, don't bother...it wasn't a battle.

Oh yeah, South Korea and Japan are very close allies, I don't believe your statement to be any sort of reality we would encounter.  I'll give you one thing though, China is unpredictable and protective of communist regimes, so there would be obstacles to say the least!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
=Don't kid yourself that China would let us park aircraft carriers off her coast to conduct a war on North Korea
View Quote
I don't think there would be a hell of a lot they could do about it if the carriers were in international waters.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I, too, think China is mostly talk and no action. Realistically, what could they do if we decided to park a couple carrier battle groups several hundred miles off their coast and pummel North Korea with airstrikes and cruise missiles? Do their aircraft and missiles have the capability to fight and win against an American CVBG? I don't think so - we'd blow them out of the sky once they got within x miles of the carriers. I guess that basically leaves their 23 ballistic missiles, and they won't use those because they know what'll happen if they launch one. So, I think that if it ever comes to attacks on the DPRK, China will just have to sit back, shut its mouth, and watch its little buddy get the living shit kicked out of it...or else.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't be so sure about what China may or may not do.  They are VERY unpredictable.  A great many decisions on their are made due to ego, not necessairly logic or reason. If you want to get a really good idea of how they think, I would recommend you read Tom Clancy's latest, "The Bear and the Dragon".

China scares me.

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
General McArthur didn't think China would or could do anything in 1950, either.  I don't think China cares so much about North Korea that they would want to fight us over that.  However, I do think they would object strenuously to us carrying out a large military operation right on their border.  I think us operating militarily in North Korea would be second only to us operating militarily in Taiwan as far as provoking them to action.  They probably wouldn't do anything beyond posturing if we parked a couple carriers off of the coast of Korea, just like they didn't do anything but posture and threaten when we parked a couple carriers in the Formosa Strait a few years back.  But if we went to war against their neighbor, I'm not so sure what they would do.  Their naval capabilities have been upgraded significantly in the last few years.  Even though they are still well behind us, their submarines, thanks to the Russians, have become a threat to our carrier battle groups.

As for attacking North Korea under the guise of a war against terrorism, I don't think anyone would buy it, least of all South Korea and Japan because they are the ones who would have to deal with the consequences in their relationship with China (and North Korea, if it survived).  North Korea wasn't responsible for what happened on September 11th.  They didn't harbor, train, or fund any of the Al Qaeda terrorists.  We consider them a "terrorist" threat because of their quest to develop nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles and their willingness to sell ballistic missile technology to get hard cash.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure that I'd use a work of fiction as a way to explain Chinese thought processes. After all, Tom Clancy knows no more about the working of the Chinese mind than anyone else. He merely made his Chinese characters act the way he wanted them to for the particular story. After all, when was the last time we had a president act the way Jack Ryan does? See what I mean? [;)]

Ego? If their decisions were based on ego, they'd have already tried to take Taiwan back by force. Also, I think that if they had the ability to do it, they would have tried. Since they haven't, I'm going to have to say they don't. Same goes with the Spratley Islands - both China and the Philippines claim them, and while China may be able to wreck the Philippine navy, they can't hurt [b]ours[/b], and they know they'd have to deal with us if they moved on the Spratleys or Taiwan.

Bush could always buy the Chinese off by promising to get MFN status for them. China and North Korea may share an ideology, but then again so do China and Vietnam yet that didn't prevent them from fighting a border war back in the late 70s. When the choice is between ideology and what's best for China, China will always look after itself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I, too, think China is mostly talk and no action. Realistically, what could they do if we decided to park a couple carrier battle groups several hundred miles off their coast and pummel North Korea with airstrikes and cruise missiles? Do their aircraft and missiles have the capability to fight and win against an American CVBG? I don't think so - we'd blow them out of the sky once they got within x miles of the carriers. I guess that basically leaves their 23 ballistic missiles, and they won't use those because they know what'll happen if they launch one. So, I think that if it ever comes to attacks on the DPRK, China will just have to sit back, shut its mouth, and watch its little buddy get the living shit kicked out of it...or else.
View Quote

I wouldn't count on that. Our cruise missiles are finite and if China mobilizes their reserves they have a practically endless number of troops. Ever seen the CIA factbook on them? The PRC leadership has the same mentality as Mao: they don't care if it costs millions to secure their vital interests. We do. If they were commited they could take South Korea as well. We would have to threaten to go nuclear...

Bush could always buy the Chinese off by promising to get MFN status for them.
View Quote

Too late skippy, we already gave up that carrot. China has been given permanent MFN status as a prerequisite to joining the WTO. Much to my chagrin.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 3:42:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I do think they would object strenuously to us carrying out a large military operation right on their border.
View Quote

They could even get the UN to condem our actions.

Eddie
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummmm, where have you been the last 100 or so years???
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:38:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Frankly, I have never cared what Third-World, genetically challenged fools have to say.

If it were not for communism (which yanked them into the 20th century) that whole region would still be living in trees.

IMHO...
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Frankly, I have never cared what Third-World, genetically challenged fools have to say.

If it were not for communism (which yanked them into the 20th century) that whole region would still be living in trees.

IMHO...
View Quote

Your opinion is neither humble nor accurate.

What did communism have to do with the economic success of Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Singapore?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Too late skippy, we already gave up that carrot. China has been given permanent MFN status as a prerequisite to joining the WTO. Much to my chagrin.
View Quote

As Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that." Maybe I need to rethink my opposition on principle to TV and pony up for cable (for the news channels.)
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummmm, where have you been the last 100 or so years???
View Quote

Meaning...?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

As Johnny Carson used to say "I did not know that." Maybe I need to rethink my opposition on principle to TV and pony up for cable (for the news channels.)
View Quote

Hehe. Ted Turner will thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top