Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2002 8:37:30 PM EDT
I have this on going problem with my computer that I hope someone here can help me with, I have tried everything I know how to do.

First, the system: It is a homebuilt computer with an AMD 900Mhz CPU, FIC MOBO, CDRW, DVD, 30Gb HDD(w/ 3 equal partitions), 512Kb generic ram and running Window 2000 Pro.  The Window 200 Pro CD I used for the istallation is a copy that I made from my original 2000 CD.  

I built this system about a year ago and it always worked fine. I use this computer mostly for school (Computer Networking) and have often reinstalled different operating sysytem software on it, including Linux and 2000 Advansed Server.  About two months ago I tried to install Linux and had problems.  I then reformated the HDD, erased Linux and ran FDisk /MBR.  I then reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro onto the system.

Everything worked fine for a few weeks. Then I started have occasional problems where the computer would just "freeze". By this I mean that the mouse pointer wont move, the keyboard is un responsive, I can't bring up "Task Manager", and of course any running applications stop running.  No Blue Screen of Death shows up, it just freezes with the current screen showing.

I have since reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro twice. Last time I completely deleted all partitions using Delpart and reformated the harddrive using the NTFS.

The problem is occuring more and more frequently over time. It happens with all programs and when I am on the Internet.  I have check the MOBO's battery and it is working fine.
Could it be my Ram memory?? I am at a complete loss...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing RAM 1st, motherboard/processor 2nd. Did Win2K find all your hardware during install or did you have to load the drivers seperately?

The 1st thing I would do is strip the computer of all components not needed to boot and see if it fails. You know, CDROM, floppy, extra drives, sound card, modem, NIC, whatever.

Then start adding devices 1 at a time after a complete test.

If it fails with everything out of it, buy/borrow some RAM and try that. Then start adding components.

HTH!

-elliott

MCSE NT 4.0
MCSE Win2K
MCSA
MCP +Internet
A+
CCNA
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds hardware or firmware related.  You might take a look at FIC's website to see if they have any newer BIOS revisions;  if so, update the BIOS and see if that helps.

If you can check the CPU temperature (usually in the setup screen during POST), see if it's running hot.  My computer has similar lockup problems, and since it happens more during warmer days, I am guessing that the fan isn't cooling things well enough.  For me, it's not worth fixing it, since I'm going to replace the computer as soon as I have the funds anyway.

Your best bet would be to ask on a technical forum.  [url]http://forums.anandtech.com/[/url] is a good site for such questions.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Oh yeh, you did service pack it and do a complete Windows Update multiple times right?

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me be the first to suggest a firearm fixer.

Oh and Dude, you shoulda got a Dell!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If I were to venture a guess, I would say the systemboard.

While the hdd is easy to suspect, hdd problems are usually bad sectors/clusters and those usually cause BSODs and GPFs, depend on the O/S, of course.

Ram errors can cause your problem, but the more often closely mimick hdd errors. The "Your Registry Is Corrupt" "Invalid Page Fault" or SUWIN errors are often indicitive of bad ram.

What you've got  .  .  . I've [i]usually[/i] seen with bad system boards. Now in my case, we've always got replacements in the shop, and a simple swap tells the tale. In your case, you'll just have to eliminate suspects. The one that's left is the cause.

But I think you've reloaded the O/S enough for now. Time to test the hardware.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The problem is intermitent.

Windows finds all hardware at install.  However I do add drivers for the modem, NIC card, ATI Video card, FIC MOBO drivers, and the DVD software.  I also did this same process went I first built it and it always worked fine then.  I haven't added any new hardware since I first built it.

Temp is fine and all fans are cooling effectively.

I haven't done any service pack upgrades because Microsoft require info and my Win2k CD isn't exactly "legally" purchased if you know what I mean[;)].

I will try the FIC page, but I am leaning towards a RAM problem...it's the only thing that makes sense.

Any other ideas?  Other than shooting it 1GUNRUNNER[heavy]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like occasional overheating to me.
Is the system getting cooled enough, is the AMD 900 a 600 running at 130%?

Does it only happen under certain conditions?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a bad [ps/2]mouse port on my MB.Went to a USB mouse and it works fine.Now the keyboard gets flaky now and then.I guess ill get a USB keyboard.Mine is intermitent also.It would freeze up and nothing but rebooting would work.It seemed to do it faster in linux.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top