Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2002 7:51:56 AM EDT
While carousing the aisles of a smelly antique bookstore I found a 1940 printing of Mein Kampf in German, in excellent condition. The front cover has an eagle and swastika, and inside the cover it is stamped with what looks like a library mark(Eigentum deeNSDAP-hitler-jugend). Anybody know where I can look to find it's actual worth? It's not for sale, I just wanna know if I got my $20 outta the deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Sie sprechen sie Deutch?(see if QuietShooter will correct me) How's your German?  This one could go far.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]
If you paid $20.00 for the book, I'd say in my humble opinion that you got a great deal.  The library mark translates to "Property of the NSDAP (or Nazi Party) Hitler Youth".  I'd say you got a steal and that it is probably quite valuable.  Check eBay & Barnes and Noble "out of print" for what dealers are selling copies for.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Gunmonkey, You can just put that in with my stuff that I have at your house ok. Or you know I dont remember a B-day gift from you this year. Thanks Brother [:D]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sie sprechen sie Deutch?(see if QuietShooter will correct me) How's your German?  This one could go far.
View Quote

Please allow me [:)]
Sprechen Sie Deutsch? (Do you speak German, "polite form")
or
Sprichst du Deutsch? (Do you speak German "informal form")

Sounds like a nice collectible and a good buy, Gunmonkey. Congratulations.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Das Buch brauchst du nicht. $20 Dollar war zu viel!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mein Hut, es hat drie ecken, drie ecken hat mein Hut, und iv es hat nicht drie ecken, es ist nicht mein Hut!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
They are worth a lot more with the dust jacket.
Try a search on E-Bay and check out auctions that have ended.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
As for the worth of the contents, less than nothing...  as it stands, that book is like a two-headed embryo in a jar- just a freakish oddity...
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
As I understand it, you could not check E-bay if you were in France or Germany, as Nazi memorabilia are there prohibited from such sites.  There are attempts to make this EU law.

My guess is that it is worth far more than what you paid.

Beyond that, there should be some intellectual value in actually looking through it for the simple purpose of trying to figure out things like:

What made him tick?
What about his ideas propelled him to gain control over Germany? (Then there's the other question - what about Germany allowed it?  You can't answer it from that books alone).

Such explorations are not for those weak of mind or heart, though.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Gunmonkey, You can just put that in with my stuff that I have at your house ok. Or you know I dont remember a B-day gift from you this year. Thanks Brother [:D]
View Quote
Gunmonkey, I didn't know you could read. Since you're too cheap to call me, I guess I'll have to insult you publicly. That book is probably worth more than your house ($50.00). I'll talk to you soon, brother.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As I understand it, you could not check E-bay if you were in France or Germany, as Nazi memorabilia are there prohibited from such sites.
View Quote

Yep, but there's an easy way around it. All a German would have to do is remove all "Accepted Languages" but US-English from his browser, especially German, and voila, no more problems. That's all ebay is checking for.
Make the test: add "German" to it, and you're unable to look at certain "evil" items until you remove it again (tools, settings, options, or some such).

There are attempts to make this EU law.
View Quote

See my "AOL TOS to become int'l law" posting.

Such explorations are not for those weak of mind or heart, though.  
View Quote

Agreed. But there's no reason to serve nothing but tap water, only because somebody in the biker bar might have a weak stomach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top