User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2002 5:23:18 AM EDT
[url]http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26539[/url]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#1]
so what?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
So the Justice department should block it on national security grounds if there is any connection between the company in question and the PLA or Chinese security services.

Being a good american, and concerned about the safety of our country, I'm sure that you would agree with that, right Mr. Deng?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, but the ChiCom's are Most Favored Trading partners.
We wouldn't want to piss the ChiCom's off, would we?
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
btt
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Shooter hit the nail on the head...China reminds me of a fat girl at frat party...trolling for anything (anybody) they can pick up.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Shooter didn't hit any nail on any head.  Why should we care if they buy out a bankrupt company with nothing special about it?  Would you care if they bought Enron?  How about K-Mart?

Global Crossing (GX) had a nifty idea a few years ago.  They were going to build an enormous global fiberoptic network and sell bandwidth on it.

Unfortunately, 95% of the bandwidth is unused, and probably will be for a long time.  What they have is nothing special.  There is plenty available, and anyone else who wants to can build more.

The Chinese are probably wasting their money.  Five years from now, maybe there'll be such a short supply that everyone will be kicking themselves for not having bought GX when they could, but I don't see it happening.  Costs will keep dropping, and chances are the Chinese will find that they have bought an outdated bunch of glass fiber from which they will never be able to make money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello Achmed! I didn't know you were such an expert on fiber optics and espionage. Either the author of the article misquoted the source inside the company... or you know better than they do.

As for the economics... I could care less. To answer your question: I wouldn't care if they bought K-mart. I might if they intended to buy Enron. It has an extensive natural gas pipeline INSIDE THIS COUNTRY which could be sabotaged in time of war leaving many americans in a desperate situation.

Did you read the article? Or is the source just in-credible to you.

Successful acquisition of the network "would provide communist China with a worldwide and very capable spy network of data communications," according to one company official who requested anonymity.

"Global Crossing has a fiber-optic network that connects Europe, Asia, Australia, North America, South America and Africa. Any communications network can be used to commit espionage if given the correct tools to do it with," the company official told WND.

"As long as you have the secure equipment from end to end while transmitting data, you can use communications in a secure environment," the official said. "The Global Crossing network would give Hutchison Whampoa … quality data transmissions over its undersea fiber-optic network.

"Sometimes it's difficult to get quality data transmissions from continent to continent without interruptions or capacity loss. Global Crossing's network has mind-boggling capacity," said the official.
View Quote

- and -

Hutchison's connections to the Chinese army were established in the 1990s.

In testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee Oct. 22, 1999, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., said the company's chairman, Li Ka-Shing, is "closely associated with the Beijing regime and has a history of acting as a source of funding or acting as an intermediary in deals for the People's Liberation Army."

During testimony, the California Republican entered into the record "unclassified documents by U.S. intelligence agencies, the U.S. Bureau of Export Affairs, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing and the Rand Corporation that identify Li Ka-Shing and [Hutchison] as financing or serving as a conduit for communist China's military to acquire sensitive technologies and other equipment. …"

"My concern is that this company (Hutchison) is controlled by the communist Chinese," said retired Adm. Thomas H. Moorer in testimony before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee June 16, 1998. "And they have virtually accomplished, without a single shot being fired, a stronghold on the Panama Canal, something which took our country so many years to accomplish."
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I hadn't bothered to read the article before.  I figured it was just "China buying GX".

Now that I've read it, I still say, "so what?"

China could just buy its agents accounts on local ISPs.  Anyone who wants encryption software can get it.  These just aren't big deals any more -- the genie is out of the bottle, and has been for years, and there ain't nothin' that anybody can do about it.

Hey, guess what?  Bin Laden supposedly used email to communicate with his buddies.  And he didn't need to buy GX to do it, either.

The whole article comes across as just another WND "Clinton screwed us" story.  This is news??

As for the source being in-credible, I used to read WND regularly until last summer.  I gave it up when I came to the inescapable conclusion that the people running it are wackos.  Sure, Clinton sucked.  Sure, Gore sucked.  Sure, Monica sucked.  (Yay.)  But so what?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top