Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/12/2009 2:36:26 PM EDT
Well, is someone an "Engineer" without an Engineering degree?

Some of the higher ups at work, retitled themselves, "Engineers" most don't even fucking have associate degrees let alone Engineering degrees...

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they have model trains at home?

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Sanitation engineer?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

hell I guess so

but SRSLY?

how in the hell

Don't you guys consider "Engineers" such as "DOCTORS" requiring degree to be called as such..
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
like the sales force here at work are called Sales Engineers.. WTF?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hell I guess so

but SRSLY?

how in the hell

Don't you guys consider "Engineers" such as "DOCTORS" requiring degree to be called as such..

No, I don't...

also I'm an Audio Engineer, and I don't have a degree.

a degree is just backing from an accredited institution saying that you know how to jump through hoops and take tests.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez, next thing you know I won't be able to perform plastic surgery out of a strip mall simply because I killed some pseudo-famous old black woman.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Does a degree always guarantee competency, or the lack of one always guarantee ineptitude?

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Some of the higher ups at work, retitled themselves, "Engineers" most don't even fucking have associate degrees let alone Engineering degrees...
Apples to oranges sir.

I know some engineers and doctors....some of which have degrees....some of which have degrees and are complete fucking retards. I know some "engineers" without degrees whom are some of the best in the business.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
On the job training?  Work experience?  They earned it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Google engineering apprenticeship.

A good way into engineering.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I know a girl who called herself a nurse for a while. She had an art degree and got a job at a spa owned by a physician who did botox, etc. I guess she figured close proximity to a doctor automatically made her a nurse. She dropped the title when she switched jobs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
don't go on a military ship, go down into the engine room and tell those guys otherwise! I do believe you would be keelhauled.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#13]
"Brass Pole Engineer"

You can even take her home to your mother with a title like that.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does a degree always guarantee competency, or the lack of one always guarantee ineptitude?

this.

i know some total retards with all kinds of paper, and some really brilliant folks with absolutely none.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never taken an engineering class in my life yet I have in my wallet a card from the state of Minnesota proclaiming me to be one. A Chief engineer, at that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have dealt with a few of those. Just confound them and their efforts, it is fun.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Eloquent.

True.

Out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Just earning an engineering degree will not allow you to say you're a Professional Engineer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_over_the_term_Engineer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_engineer#United_States

The licensing procedure varies but the general process is:[url=http://www.ar15.com/#cite_note-3][4][/url]

1. Graduate with a degree from an accredited four-year university program in engineering.

2. Complete a standard Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) written examination, which tests applicants on breadth of understanding of basic engineering principles, and optionally some elements of an engineering specialty. Completion of the first two steps typically qualifies for certification in the U.S. as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT), sometimes also called an Engineer Intern (EI).[url=http://www.ar15.com/#cite_note-4][5][/url]

3. Accumulate a certain amount of engineering experience typically under the supervision of a P.E. In most states the requirement is four years, but in others the requirement is lower.

4. Complete a written Principles and Practice in Engineering ('PE') examination, testing the applicant's knowledge and skills in a chosen engineering discipline (mechanical, electrical, civil, for example), as well as engineering ethics.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#20]
By that standard I will from this day forth be the King of England.  I have as much right to that title as they do to the title Engineer.  Can you tell I earned my engineering degree the hard way?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Experience makes an engineer. Not a degree. Given, earning such a degree will provide necessary experience to start; I am certain there are plenty of incompetent engineers out there with degrees.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I build stuff all the time....

using Lego's.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A timely topic as I just got hired as an engineer, today.

I have never set foot inside a college classroom, I was in the Service during my college age years and after the military, I went to work for a German machine tool maker.

I've worked on some sort of machinery/equipment for 24 years now and was offered a job as an engineer last week.

Should I have turned them down due to not having any formal training?

Yup...I have been in an engineering field for about 10 years.  Not a college credit to my name and I make 6-figures (not bragging, as that's not shit to many people, but I'm saying that college isn't the end all be all of education).
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm an audio engineer. 25 years experience and...no kolledge edumukashun!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's what human calculators want us to think.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Some jobs with the title of "Engineer" don't require a degree.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know a girl who called herself a nurse for a while. She had an art degree and got a job at a spa owned by a physician who did botox, etc. I guess she figured close proximity to a doctor automatically made her a nurse. She dropped the title when she switched jobs.

Same here...but this girl has only a GED.  She works in the medical field and calls herself an OR nurse.  I think she does assist some way in the OR but she isn't a nurse. Goofy

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just earning an engineering degree will not allow you to say you're a Professional Engineer.

The licensing procedure varies but the general process is:[url=http://www.ar15.com/#cite_note-3][4][/url]
  1. Graduate with a degree from an accredited four-year university program in engineering.
  2. Complete a standard Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) written examination, which tests applicants on breadth of understanding of basic engineering principles, and optionally some elements of an engineering specialty. Completion of the first two steps typically qualifies for certification in the U.S. as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT), sometimes also called an Engineer Intern (EI).[url=http://www.ar15.com/#cite_note-4][5][/url]
  3. Accumulate a certain amount of engineering experience typically under the supervision of a P.E. In most states the requirement is four years, but in others the requirement is lower.
  4. Complete a written Principles and Practice in Engineering ('PE') examination, testing the applicant's knowledge and skills in a chosen engineering discipline (mechanical, electrical, civil, for example), as well as engineering ethics.

+1

Jimbeam P.E.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#29]
if you really NEED to split hairs, yes, in some states (Texas 4 sure) has a law that regulates who can call themselves "engineer"; the state board that controls
this may be intertested in this, so an random call may yeild some questioning.

I know in Kali I worked as an assistant resident engineer & a resident engineer on several construction projects; I have some college engineering, but am not
a 4 year credintialed professional. It depends on who is confiring the title.

Again, if they're representing themselves offering professional services normally requiring a registered engineer, a call may be in order.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#30]
You can become a PE without a degree. Rare, but possible.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Depends who they work for, they might actually drive the real locomotives
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

a degree does nothing when the hands on work teaches you the opposite of 4 years of college.

I call myself a civil engineer.  Even though I do not have a BA in that field, I am more qualified than everyone in the department (except my supervisor)
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My father was an Engineer at Ma Bell for years. He worked at Bell Labs, PNWB, and USWest. His last positions were Vice President, USWest Knowledge Engineering Div., and Technical Director for USWest Advanced Technologies.

He had a high school diploma. Oh yeah, the Coast Guard reserve called him an engineer too.

People used to learn things by reading and doing, and get very good at them. A degree means next to nothing these days as far as a person's competence in their field.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Even without paper, I would have to say that if you can properly "engineer" something that does what it's supposed to do, you're an engineer.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some people on this site say your not even an engineer if you have a degree unless you get your PE.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

no, a PE is an Engineer who is legally allowed to sign off on papers.  just because an engineer hasn't taken the PE exam doesn't mean they are not a professional,  and just having a degree doesn't give you the ability to go out and take the Exam.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Most of the engineers (degreed) I have worked with know books but would kill someone in the field.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#38]
You're an engineer/doctor/lawyer/etc. when you're certified by a professional organization.

Michael Crichton, for example was not a doctor - he was a medical school graduate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I know people who are highly respected in the engineering community and have been titled "Engineer" without a degree.

I have an MS in electrical engineering and I certainly don't think you need a degree to be called an engineer. After a decade in engineering I have met people who have ph.d.'s who don't know shit and are in the position they're in solely because of the degree not their ability.

Quit this egalitarianism before it destroys us!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here...but this girl has only a GED.  She works in the medical field and calls herself an OR nurse.  I think she does assist some way in the OR but she isn't a nurse. Goofy

They just are not registered Nurses....  same with the PE issue, its all just legal semantics.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#41]
The guy who operates the train is an "engineer".
Is he required to have a Bachelor of Railroad Science degree?

Main Entry: 1en·gi·neer
Pronunciation: \ˌen-jə-ˈnir
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English engineour, from Anglo-French, from enginer to devise, construct, from engin
Date: 14th century
1 : a member of a military group devoted to engineering work
2 obsolete : a crafty schemer : plotter
3 a : a designer or builder of engines
b : a person who is trained in or follows as a profession a branch of engineering
c : a person who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance
4 : a person who runs or supervises an engine or an apparatus

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#42]
When something asks for my career, I put "Chemical Engineer" even though I am still a year away from the degree.

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
From what I've seen from guys with the degree, a lot of them shouldn't call themselves Engineers either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Is he in the Army Corp of Engineers?
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I've earned my title like most engineer's have.
Right now I'm a Chicken because I have feathers
up my Butt!
Look at me everybody!

I'm a Chicken! See my feathers!
Bok-Bok-Bok!
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

hell I guess so

but SRSLY?

how in the hell

No, I don't...    

also I'm an Audio Engineer, and I don't have a degree.

a degree is just backing from an accredited institution saying that you know how to jump through hoops and take tests.

Same. Audio engineer & commercial studio owner. We sorta just got "stuck" with the moniker. Not sure,
but guessing Eddie Kramer did not have an engineering degree either. He turned out OK.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A timely topic as I just got hired as an engineer, today.

I have never set foot inside a college classroom, I was in the Service during my college age years and after the military, I went to work for a German machine tool maker.

I've worked on some sort of machinery/equipment for 24 years now and was offered a job as an engineer last week.

Should I have turned them down due to not having any formal training?

Just be careful not to piss off the college boys. Sounds like you'll make them look pretty stupid.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

They just are not registered Nurses....  same with the PE issue, its all just legal semantics.    

Not really. My wife is a pediatric surgery tech. That took 2 years of school and training just to graduate. She got more OJT and now runs a ped. OR. She has a B.A. and will get her RN soon. She has a lot of applicants who have said they are OR qualified, but can't find their way around a body.
An RN is not automatically OR qualified. Surgery is a specialty that takes a lot of training. An RN can become OR qualified, but a lot are not. She has trained some to work with her as a circulater, but they can't assist w/o training.
I guess the original question depends on the specific nature of what the engineer is doing. Without some training or education I don't see how they could be.

A college degree means the individual has received the curriculum and passed. It's education, not training. Some people are book smart and can't actually do anything. If I needed an engineer I would want someone with at least some college and OJT. It just depends on what they are doing. Do you really want someone with no education or training building a bridge?
College doesn't guarantee competance, but a lack of college says something too.

Jim

Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Most software engineers I work with don't have a degree in engineering but have BS's in computer science or math.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You're an engineer/doctor/lawyer/etc. when you're certified by a professional organization.

Michael Crichton, for example was not a doctor - he was a medical school graduate.

In the US at least, "Professional Engineer" is the licensed equivalent to lawyer or doctor. An engineering firm needs a state-licensed PE to sign off on work done for clients.

But "engineer" by itself has been used so much in other contexts that it is basically a generic term that is used interchangeably with "technician." There are too many janitors calling themselves "grounds engineer" for anybody to worry about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top