Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2002 10:41:52 AM EDT
In the scope of the world this is not a large thing but I happened to see part of news cast featuring Black Comedian turned civil rights activist "Dick Gregory" and Black civil rights activist "James Meredith."

Mr. Gregory was on the standard it is not 'our' fault so it must be........in accounting for Black Americans lack of broad success in the U.S.

HOWEVER, Mr. Meredith flatly stated "If Black Americans do not learn to properly speak the English language they will never enjoy broad success in the United States !"
Mr. Meredith went on to point out that all other immigrant groups - Italians, Irish, Polish, etc., - have learned to speak the language and have enjoyed success.
Mr. Meredith's final point was was "There is no reason a Black American cannot be 'anything' in America today!"

Refreshing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I watched that.  Meredith has the real world experience that Gregory lacks.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, I watched that.  Meredith has the real world experience that Gregory lacks.  
View Quote

Yeah, Gregory lives somewhere out in the Hollywood world - mentally.

Good to hear Meredith, who has (or maybe 'had') real credibility in the civil rights movement talk openly about black Americans learning to speak english as a part of success.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top