Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2002 9:48:57 PM EDT
Got this emailed to me from one of my friend's who pulled it from some tech sight (don't know which).  I had heard about this prior, from this technology they will be able to release DVD movies that are very high resolution that work only on HDTVs.  I don't know details maybe someone else does.  I talked to a video enthusiast last year that said he was holding out buying a DVD player in anticipation of the higher capacity DVDs (current DVD can't hold enough information to fit these high definition movies).  All in all quite interesting sounding for video and computer use.

[b]Manufacturers have agreed a standard for the next generation of DVDs, which will be capable of holding more than six times as much information as existing discs.

The Blu-ray disk, so called because it works with a blue laser that operates at a higher frequency than current technology, can store up to 13 hours of film, compared to the current limit of 133 minutes. The new discs can hold up to 27GB of information.

Nine consumer technology firms (Sony, Philips, Samsung, LG, Thomson, Hitachi, Pioneer, Matsushita and Sharp) have signed up to the standard. It is hoped that this will avoid a repeat of conflicting approaches that came with the introduction of DVDs in 1996.

DVD players which can record and play Blu-ray disks are expected to hit the market between 2003 and 2004.[/b]  
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#1]
And [B]NOW[/B] I can sleep!
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
And [B]NOW[/B] I can sleep!
View Quote

Good to hear.

Has anyone heard of these higher resolution HDTV DVD movies that are suppose to be coming out?  I have heard little about them but would like to hear more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top