BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2002 9:22:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This world is full of idiots, and that one who e-mailed you is one of them.

The person refered to it as a 'knife'.  You say it's a letter opener (I suppose it's not sharp).....  Any how, who is to define what a "Letter Opener" IS.......

(I bet if I brought a 'sharp' pencil, they'd take it........)

Got any more?!!!

Da 'hypothetical' Senario:
Kaliburz walking into airport check point w/ 'letter opener in back pocket'.
"Sir, what's that in your back pocket," asked checker as I walk through.
"This," I reply while pulling it out, "it's a letter opener."  Pulling out the 6" long, flat peice of plastic....

The next move .............
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What the hell were thinking manufacturing a letter opener?!  Someone here obviously isn't thinking of the children.  Here, check out this website, it should broaden your mind...or make it pop.[BD]

http://www.handguncontrol.org/

I deliberately didn't bother activating the link
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2002 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#5]
So where can us poor underprivdledged sobs get these letter opners??????

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#6]
NO doubt! That guy is an idiot!

Now, where can these wonderful marvels of modern technology be purchased?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What the hell were thinking manufacturing a letter opener?!  Someone here obviously isn't thinking of the children.  Here, check out this website, it should broaden your mind...or make it pop.[BD]

http://www.handguncontrol.org/

I deliberately didn't bother activating the link
View Quote

What you fail to understand that the liberal elite in this country (who being so much more intelligent than us slack-jawed gun nuts and thus have a moral obligation to run our lives for us) have already taken measures to protect children from EVIL, BLACK "ASSAULT" LETTER OPENERS. Since the public school system no longer teaches children to READ it will only be a few years before the need to open printed correspondence will no longer exist. Then, finally, maybe they can shred that pesky, out-dated First Amendment.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
How about a limited edition AR-15.com "letter opener"? It could come in handy since our Government no longer trusts us to have a bayonet attached to our rifles. Seriously, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want one!!!!!!!! Send me info!!!!

mike
View Quote

Ditto! When??
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]
[size=3][b]I WANT ONE![/b][/size=3][>Q]

Can I?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Hmmmm, I got mine through airport security with no problems what-so-ever...

Grin_N_Barrett was pissed, because he was nearly strip searched, but was carrying [u]NOTHING[/u] deemed clandestine!  [:D]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta have one now that they are all the rage.  How much? [:)]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#14]
[b]I want one![/b]

Please send info on how I can get one.  I have the CIA letter opener (actually a dagger made from plastic)  It also does not show up on X-ray.  So, are they going to "ban" those also?

medcop
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I got mine at:

[url] http://www.galatiinternational.com/ [/url]

look for 'letter openers' in the 'knives' section.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I knew it!  In one of my first posts after I got back, I wondered how many of those ended up in the Las Vegas Airport dumpster after the show.  Good luck with the Gov.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got mine at:

[url] http://www.galatiinternational.com/ [/url]

look for 'letter openers' in the 'knives' section.
View Quote

Which one?......The Knife or the Sticker?
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
letter opener?
that's like in '"I" open "U"', right?

my guess is anyone with a piece of plexiglas and a file (available at any hardware store) could make their own.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice "Letter Openers", as I recall from being there at the show. Managed to cut myself twice on them when we restocked the free samples hangers...they work, and being %100 undetectable plastic, the few I took came through the airport just fine.

I will sell my few rare preban extras(2 clear plastic, one grey, one pink) at only $44.99+ s/h...[:D] Get them while you can-before the Govt. bans all undetectable office supplies![;D]

Juggernaut

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Garrito hombre, dinero is on the way manana.  Thnx Shawn.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#23]
cool letter opener, im in for 5 $
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll take one for 5 bucks
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll take one or two...  do they come in black?  Looks as though they would open up a "stubby" too [beer].  And although I don't drink myself, I can certainly see where The Beer Slayer may have a strong interest in several [:D]
W
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
These things are bigtime neat... I got one from y'all @ SHOT. No, I didn't carry it on the plane home.

Look, plain and simple... It's no trouble to go get a piece of plexi-glass and make it sharp, or any other sturdy material for that matter... Hell, people in prison been doing it for YEARS.

The guy is a bozo...
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
oh ya,
Im in for 2 or 3 maybe more
Keep the info posted for all of us
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well I think I will bring the mold over here and do a run. They will cost $1.50 and with priority mail being $3.50 that brings them to $5.00 delivered (for one). If you guys want them that have the AR15.COM logo on them, pester Goat Boy and those guys, I would be happy to submit them a quote (or anyone else who wants one)

[img]http://www.az-precision.com/images/opener.gif[/img]
View Quote

Nice.....now.... it's not a knife.  It's a letter opener/1911 bushing tool.... that's it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I am in!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well I think I will bring the mold over here and do a run. They will cost $1.50 and with priority mail being $3.50 that brings them to $5.00 delivered (for one).
View Quote

Figure out how many will fit in a single $3.50 Priority Mail box and I'll buy that!  [:D]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I am good for a couple.  Let me know payment details.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I think I will bring the mold over here and do a run. They will cost $1.50 and with priority mail being $3.50 that brings them to $5.00 delivered (for one).
View Quote

Figure out how many will fit in a single $3.50 Priority Mail box and I'll buy that!  [:D]
View Quote

Add me to this list!!  I'll take 10 or so!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Put me down for as many as will fit in the box. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll take 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Stirring up a hornets nest.

I can see it now....

AP/UPI--FEB. 25, 2002

[b]TERRORIST ARMS FACTORY RAIDED IN ARIZONA-[/b]

A group of BATF and FBI agents raided an assault arms manufacturing plant in Arizona today and after a bitter struggle between the terrorists and Government officials 3 are in custody.  The suspected terrorist have been under investigation since their link to the manufacture of X-ray proof daggers similar to the ones used in the September 11 hijackings.  This technology is similar to that used in the manufacture of undetectable plastic Glocks.  The terrorist group was also found to be manufacturing fully automatic assault weapons utilizing this very same technology.

"This just goes to show that these weapons and the people who own them are the greatest threat to national security America is faced with today" Janet Reno said in an interview with Dan Rather.  "Anyone who would own or manufacture this stuff has to be a terrorist" she continued.

The three in custody included the ring leader Garry Owen and his wife and a terrorist accomplice, Antiussa.  Antiussa has been linked to other terrorist arms groups throughout the country. Killed in the raid were a pair of vicious guard poodles that was kept as deterrent to government officials.  After repeated attacks to the ankles of SWAT Team the animals were finally dispatched.  The officers are expected to make a complete recovery.    
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#39]
According to the FAA website, "Knives and cutting instruments of all kinds are prohibited."  Just don't get caught with one of these on your person or carry on luggage.  I'd guess that it wouldn't be much fun...

Of course, this is also the same governmental organization that insists, "Don’t be a bin hog."

[:P]

Edited to add:  California prohibits such undetectable knives (gee, what a surprise!).  Anywhere else they are illegal?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Yepper....I want one. You never when a....letter opener will be REALLY useful.

Count me in.

Now if I could figure out how to make one of them all plastic guns...like in that Clint Eastwood movie. I'd visit California in safety.

Cooooool kni...errr...letter opener!
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll take a couple at least.

I'm somewhat of a collector of plastic and composite edged weapons. Not to take a way from the effort here, but my current fav's are made by [url]www.newt.livesay.com[/url]. His website's a little hosed up right now, but he makes a great neck-knife in Micarta. Even better, he makes an injection molded piece called the "Executive Ice Scraper". It has those words molded into it, making it that much more more innocuous. It's a small square piece you hold in your fist with your middle two fingers through a hole in the handle. Fit's right in your back pocket, in front of your wallet. No problem with pat-down's there (they are getting wise to the neck-knives). Even if they find it they're only a few bucks, and you can just say you had to scrape some frost off your car, a sticker off your car, etc. I carry two.

Disclaimer: Dscott is correct--the reg's say something to the effect of "made out of any material", so plastic doesn't get you off the hook. If it looks sharp, it is sharp. Don't carry this stuff through airline security. That would be illegal. And bad. Very bad. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:50:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
California prohibits such undetectable knives (gee, what a surprise!).  Anywhere else they are illegal?
View Quote

These knives are not undetectable! You can see them and feel them can't you??? Crochet(sp?) needles are also prohibited on planes-- any sharp objects.

I still wonder why they have not banned soda cans! tear one of those in half-- they are sharp and can cut really well (I know! I cut myself BAD with a can once). If you are on a plane, make sure you ask for the soda can, just in case...

[red]Let me know how much a "stuffed" package is (with the basic shipping cost), I want a box of letter openers too![/red]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Edited to add, my mistake in saying these knives are illegal to possess.  Apparently not, but illegal offer for commercial sale.  Maybe that means that private party sales are OK.

Reagardless, you'd be nuts to take any such weapon onto an airplane at this point in time...

From the CA penal code:

12001.1.  (a) Any person in this state who commercially manufactures
or causes to be commercially manufactured, or who knowingly imports
into the state for commercial sale, keeps for commercial sale, or
offers or exposes for commercial sale, any undetectable knife is
guilty of a misdemeanor.  As used in this section, an "undetectable
knife" means any knife or other instrument with or without a
handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may
inflict great bodily injury or death that is commercially
manufactured to be used as a weapon and is not detectable by a metal
detector set at standard calibration.
  (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, commencing January
1, 2000, all knives or other instrument with or without a handguard
that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict
great bodily injury or death that are commercially manufactured in
this state that utilize materials that are not detectable by a metal
detector shall be manufactured to include materials that will ensure
they are detectable by a metal detector set at standard calibration.

View Quote

Coming soon to a state legislature or courthouse near you...

BTW, if you've got a need for one, the *coolest* non-metallic knives have got to be the Mirage-X series from Mad Dog... tough!

[img]http://www.proedgeknives.com/oper.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.proedgeknives.com/dog.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I am interested in at least one. I have one of Newt Livesays non metallic knives as well as a couple of his others, nice stuff.  Fill me in on the details of hte purchase!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I want some....let us know.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top