Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/17/2002 10:18:18 PM EDT
And why do the moderators tolerate it?  I see that other slurs seem to get erased immediately.  And please don't give me any of this "you're to PC" or "you're so sensitive" crap.  IT'S OFFENSIVE.  For any of you that don't know, yes I'm of Japanese decent.  No I didn't fight in the war, but for some reason my stomach feels a bit uneasy when I hear this term.    
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Why is it offensive?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
For the same reason "Gook," "Spic," "Kike," "WOP," "Mick" and others are offensive.  On the surface, they're just words.  Must be the reason people say them.  Just for abbreviation?  Please.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I fail to see why the term "Jap" would be offensive. It's simply short for "Japanese".
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm also of Japanese decent.  Nowadays, you can't even use the "n" word without facing serious consequences.  Like you, I feel offended if I hear that term.  But in today society, lots of non-racist people use that term like an abbreviation for "Japanese."  I think this is wrong but its a fact.  I know young kids who drive Japanese cars and eat sushi but use that term openly.  These people don't know that word "Jap" was used during World War II and this term is a painful reminder for both Japanese and Japanese Americans even today.  But in my opinion, people today mean no harm by using that term.  Those people are simply insensitive and uneducated.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I think most guys do not think of it as a slur (to say Jap) anymore than they do when they say "Brits" for British, or "Canuks" for Canadians, or "Aussies" for Australians.  But you have made your point.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the word Jap, I mean no offense, as was said it is just short for Japanese. Feel free to call me Germ if you wish, I'm of German decent, Hell it's only a word.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
WOP is simply short for "with out papers."  Mick is a very common prefix for Irish surnames like "McAdams."  And of course Jap is just an abbreviation for "Japanese."  What could be so offensive about these terms?  They sound cute.  Well if I hear anyone using these terms to refer to me, they are getting put on their back, no offense intended...
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to college in New England area.  JAP also meant "Jewish American Princess."  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#9]
50cali, I must agree it is a duragatory term to describe one of Japanese or Asian desent and it is used often, especially in describing autos. (I happen to own a couple of Asian-made vehicles) Hopefully subscribers to this site can be civil enough to just stop using it. Like other duragatory racial slurs, it would be ashame to have to legislate it. When used in proper context to discribe a situation in which one race of people discriminated against another, I feel the use of the duragatory racial slurs ads power to the arguement that racism is still a nasty part of our society. If we sugar-coat the "terms" in context while discribing a racial injustice, people will become numb to the true effect that it has on those who are effected, even if it is just name calling. 50cali, you are right, Jap is offensive, especially if you are of Asian desent. As is n**ger, sp*ck, w**p, etc. to those of backgrounds that these slurs represent.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well if I hear anyone using these terms to refer to me, they are getting put on their back, no offense intended...
View Quote

You can call me Jerry anytime you want to :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went to college in New England area.  JAP also meant "Jewish American Princess."  
View Quote

How about we define it as "Japanese-American Person"? ;)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well if I hear anyone using these terms to refer to me, they are getting put on their back, no offense intended...
View Quote

Either you know who you are, or you don't.  I can't say that anything anyone has ever said to me, or called me, has offended me.  To claim otherwise I would consider a weakness.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How about we define it as "Japanese-American Person"? ;)
View Quote

Hahahaha.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I think that it is used mostly to offend. I've heard it used many times against some of my friends that were Chinese and Korean. Some biggots don't care if you are or not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Gunsnob,

You are right and you've made me think about what it is that I really want.  I definitely DON"T WANT the word to be banned from being used on the site.  There are enough regulations as it is and I hate rules.  I just hope that my post alerts the inadvertant users of the term that some may take offense.  As to those who intentionally use the term derogatorily, I need to know who my enemies are.  These are just my views and I thought I had I right to express them.  I'm not trying to shove any ideals down anyone's throats.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
posted by kar98
You can call me Kraut anytime you want to :)
View Quote

ditto, If you can think of a better abbr. for us simple folk, and make it so everyone else knows what it means...I will be obliged to use it. (one syllable is a plus)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Who cares?  Deal with it.  I bet you use "redneck" occasionally, don't you?  Do you hear me whining about it?  I've seen redneck used here quite a bit, hillbilly, etc.

A motorcycle made in japan is a jap bike.  Because it's from JAP-AN, see?

Now if I were to say, shut up you whiney little jap, then I could see how that would be considered offensive.  But I haven't seen anyone use it in reference to a person.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Nobody is calling anyone a simplton because they use the term inadvertently.  People step on people's toes all the time without knowing it.  Having never been anywhere but Behind the brake of a single shot 50 caliber, I never knew how much I must have been annoying the other shooters around me.  Now that I have experienced getting dust and rocks blown in my face and KNOW that its offensive, it would be a whole different story if I kept shooting 50's on a crowded range day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nobody is calling anyone a simplton because they use the term inadvertently.  People step on people's toes all the time without knowing it.  Having never been anywhere but Behind the brake of a single shot 50 caliber, I never knew how much I must have been annoying the other shooters around me.  Now that I have experienced getting dust and rocks blown in my face and KNOW that its offensive, it would be a whole different story if I kept shooting 50's on a crowded range day.
View Quote

Well my point, which didn't quite come across as I read the post, was that no one is calling you, personally, a jap.

If someone refers to a BMW as a kraut car, I don't care.  Some of my ancestors were Germans, but I'm an American.  What are you?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
But in my opinion, people today mean no harm by using that term.  Those people are simply insensitive and uneducated.  
View Quote

This is what I was refering to...methinks. [:)]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
For a while I was "Flip_from NY."  I always like the fact that the "derrogatory" word for a Filipino was "Flip" because, to me,  It wasn't bad as being called a gook, or chink or even jap (which of course I was, because you round eyes don't know any better.  You'd think with eyes so big, you'd be able to see clearer) [}:D]

anyways...I was asked by fellow Pinoy members if I realized what I was saying with the term "flip" and after much thought, I agrred that a derrogatory term, is a derrogatory term.  I mean I don't call Japanese bikes "Jap bikes" for the reason I did find that term "Jap" offensive when I was calld one.  So they are "Crotch Rockets" or "Rice Burners" to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those people are simply insensitive and uneducated.  
View Quote

I agree.  I will immediately report to a sensitivity training and re-education camp.

Perhaps I should pay you reperations for my past use of the word "jap."  Oops, did it again.

Maybe you're just overly sensitive.  Ever consider that?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well my point, which didn't quite come across as I read the post, was that no one is calling you, personally, a jap.

If someone refers to a BMW as a kraut car, I don't care.  Some of my ancestors were Germans, but I'm an American.  What are you?
View Quote

That is the point though.  At times we are not allowed to feel like an American.  It's earier for those of European decent to pass of as "American."  You're either White, or you're Spanish/African American/Asian..etc.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is the point though.  At times we are not allowed to feel like an American.  It's earier for those of European decent to pass of as "American."  You're either White, or you're Spanish/African American/Asian..etc.
View Quote

Oh good god.  If it's so bad here, why don't you go back to where *you* feel like *you* belong?

Everybody whines about how us evil "European-Americans" treat you...how about a little gratitude for being so generous with our country?  What you do with your life here is up to you, you can either complain about the White devil(who has very relaxed immigration laws) or get over it.

I'll quit oppressing you now.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't just feel like.  I BELONG here.  Born and raised.  So you can take you Nazi ass back to the trailer where it belongs.

How did that feel?  Sucks don't it.  I know I'm American.  Going by your word, you are American, but now that I know you are of German decent, do you want to be singeld out as a German American or an American.  Worse yet, how about being know as comming from a group like the Nazis?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

This just pisses me off to no end.  Europeans created this country...you may not like it, but we did.

I wonder how "Japanese" I would be considered if I managed to become a Japanese citizen?  I know Japan is waiting with open arms for me...I'm sure I'd be accepted by the Japanese people right away, right?

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't just feel like.  I BELONG here.  Born and raised.  So you can take you Nazi ass back to the trailer where it belongs.

How did that feel?  Sucks don't it.  I know I'm American.  Going by your word, you are American, but now that I know you are of German decent, do you want to be singeld out as a German American or an American.  Worse yet, how about being know as comming from a group like the Nazis?
View Quote

Haha...isn't that ironic?  You come here and bitch about percieved racism, yet what's the first thing you do?  Try to call me trailer trash...what did you mean by that, exactly?  That I should get my redneck ass back to my trailer?

What an unbelievable hypocrite.

What third world shithole are your ancestors from?  How does that feel?  Do you like being singled out?

I'm not German, I'm American, as I've already said.  You're the one whining about how us evil White Americans treat you.  Poor thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I am of german decent and if someone called me a nazi I wouldn't care (ok a little bit, but not to the point of feeling the need to kick their ass). I know the truth...that my grandfather fought in WW2...possibly against his own cousins(nazis) and he took a .50 cal bullet in the stomach (friendly fire, gun jammed after first shot) and nearly died. I know that I am not a nazi and that is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Graves14 just talks big.  Oh he's so macho hiding behind his PC.  I'm so scared.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:49:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Graves14 just talks big.  Oh he's so macho hiding behind his PC.  I'm so scared.
View Quote

Not sure where you got that from.  I haven't made any threats.

Nice relevant post though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Haha...isn't that ironic?  You come here and bitch about percieved racism, yet what's the first thing you do?  Try to call me trailer trash...what did you mean by that, exactly?  That I should get my redneck ass back to my trailer?

What an unbelievable hypocrite.

What third world shithole are your ancestors from?  How does that feel?  Do you like being singled out?

I'm not German, I'm American, as I've already said.  You're the one whining about how us evil White Americans treat you.  Poor thing.
View Quote

No sir, just making a point about prejudice.  Hence the large space between the idiotic statment and the point I was making.  I don't know you frm any other person I bump into on the street.  I have no ill feeling towards you, or anyone else on this board.  Just making discussion, which you seem to be taking to heart.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:55:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No sir, just making a point about prejudice.
View Quote

Really?  You said the following, didn't you?

"So you can take you Nazi ass back to the trailer where it belongs"

What point was being made there exactly?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure where you got that from.  I haven't made any threats.

Nice relevant post though.
View Quote

I didn't see anything inflammatory either..[>:/]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No sir, just making a point about prejudice.
View Quote

Really?  You said the following, didn't you?

"So you can take you Nazi ass back to the trailer where it belongs"

What point was being made there exactly?
View Quote

That was the idiotic statement.  The point was below it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:12:39 AM EDT
[#35]
I live the the most liberal city in Texas, Austin.  However, the liberal society here in this city which is supposed to be accepting to anyone of color, race (and those are separate in my opinion), and overall lifestyle I have found to be very hypocritical.  I am in no way directing this to anyone here, but I have on numerous occasions heard comments about stupid rednecks, hicks, and others of that nature.  I find this most disturbing comming from those who only want "understanding and acceptance."

By the way I do own two Asian/Jap/Eastern-Orient/ cars.  I only say Jap, since I can't spell Japanoise with confidence.  I just probably proved my point there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Well I say suck it up.There's no harm meant with it.I grew up hearing it from my grandfather who was in WWII.I would say it's just a common word that most Americans grew up with .  
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#37]
You know its the whiners that have brought this site down to the PC level that it is today, if you cant take what little heat there is left, then please get the Hell out of the kitchen!
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:32:32 AM EDT
[#38]
"Jap"-Why do people here use the term so freely?
View Quote

I can see your point. But there are a lot of terms used freely on this site. Frog=French, Brits and Limeys=English, Micks=Irish, Krauts=German, Aussies=Australians, Canucks=Canadians, Finns=Finnish, Swedes=Swedish, ETC, ETC, ETC! I'm a LimeyKraut.
No one cares about those terms. What makes the  members of Japanese descent so special? Especially since the Japanese are one of the most insular and racist peoples in the world.

Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:35:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I love the people on this site!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:38:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love the people on this site!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
Even us Alabama, hillbilly, cousin humping, of Nazi decent, rednecks?
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Well us kentucky rednecks are step-brothers of you Ala. boys so yes even you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I promise to stop calling Japanese "Japs" as soon as Japan apologises to the US, China, Korea, the Philippines, and a host of other nations for their behavior in the 1930's and 1940's AND the moment they adopt an immigration policy as liberal as the US.

As for Japanese-Americans, I never call people of Japanese ancestry Japs in the first place, because as far as I'm concerned, anyone who can say, "Dude, what's up?" without an accent is just as American as I. And the accent is the key, isn't it?

Feel free to call me kraut, brit, limey, frog, cracker, whatever, as I'm made up of a little of each and I don't really give a sh*t.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm second generation so I'm still proud of my people.  If my blood starts mixing with Irish, German, Polish, Mexican, French, etc. then I won't be overly sensitive eh?  ;-)
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:04:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I get racism from Asians as well.  Thats the sad part.  I date outside of my race and I often get a look of disapproval from fresh off the boat Asians.  It pisses me off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:07:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Anyway STFU, let me go back to loving my AR [marines]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Is it ok to use the term Nip?

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm second generation so I'm still proud of my people.  If my blood starts mixing with Irish, German, Polish, Mexican, French, etc. then I won't be overly sensitive eh?  ;-)
View Quote

You're the only racist I've seen posting here.

Proud of your "people?"  Then why don't you go live among your "people"...and be free of us evil, bigoted Irish, German, Polish, Mexican, French, etc, racists.  Don't you like the country your "people" have created?
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 2:02:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:08:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Too many people ate a bowl of "sensitivity" today.  Get over it and live with it or, sit at home an whine about how terrible and unfair life is.  

Stop being such a victim!
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#50]
BTW, Nip is just another abreviation for "Nipon", aka Japan.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top