Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/5/2009 7:50:17 PM EDT
So I moved in with the gf last month and we've been having different thoughts on how things should be, but tonight just got bad.  For a quick background, here are our mini summaries.  Me:  Born into the food business, grew up in a house with a kitchen that supported said business, cook at least once a day, always checking out new cook books, spent years selling cookware and have more fun at the grocery store than at the gun store.  I love to cook.  GF:  Raised on frozen/pre-made meals, usually eats take out, cooking skills range from boxed mac n cheese to scrambled eggs.  

Because of this I staked the kitchen as my own, with her telling me I can.  In doing so I've also been cooking for the two of us.  Last night was pasta, red sauce, meatballs, garlic bread.  The night before was over baked chicken, string beans, mashed potatoes.  Breakfast today was omelettes, turkey bacon and toast.  So yea...I use the kitchen.

Well she is just used to shoving everything in the dishwasher, but I prefer to hand wash a few things because (1) My cast iron and non stick cookware aren't dishwasher safe, (2) sometimes its a bigger job than the dishwasher can handle and (3) why run the dishwasher for a few pots and pans that I could just clean myself in a few minutes?.  So I bought a sponge and then we bought some dish soap.  When we get home she goes to put everything away and tells me "We already had dish soap under the sink", I respond "You keep dishsoap under the sink?" and get a "Yea" as if I'm a retard for not figuring that one out.

So then she tells me it looks trashy having the soap by the sink and I argue that I don't want to reach under the sink several times a day every time I want to use it and then put it away.  Shit, I could understand if we lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright house and our home was a piece of art, but we live in a nor.mal town house where I cook.  So words are exchanged, I won and the dish soap is by the sink, but I'm wondering...

Am I crazy to have the dish soap by the sink?  I've worked house parties as a caterer in every sort of house and they all had dish soap out.  Sure, maybe it was in a Williams Sonoma bottle and not a Dawn bottle, but it was there.

What say ye arfcom?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Where else would it go? It sits to the left of the faucet here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, don't wash bath towels with clothes. Clothes are dirty.

Rob
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

...turkey bacon...

GTFO

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
To the right of the sink as my sink is in a corner by a cabinet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Prove your point by putting her tampons in the kitchen cupboard, put the pasta in the medicine cabinet, all canned goods under the bathroom sink, socks in the silverware drawer, motor oil on the bookshelf, etc.

Maybe she'll grasp the concept then.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#6]
sits by the faucet, here.  ((shrugs))
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]

I have more fun at the grocery store than at the gun store.

Really?

Anyway, my house is set up to be primarily FUNCTIONAL!

Form always follows function.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Hand soap and sanitizer out, dish soap under the sink.

They make these gay little decorative ceramic squirt bottles you could fill with dishsoap, doesn't have to be a fight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
i voted normal.  I am increasingly OCD about things being neat and in their place (out of sight if possible) but I haven't thought of hiding the dish soap.  Maybe you could compromise and buy a dispenser from bed bath and beyond that looks nicer than just having a Dawn bottle out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Soap goes here:

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
...turkey bacon...

GTFO

+1  

turkey bacon is blasphemy

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So I moved in with the gf last month and we've been having different thoughts on how things should be, but tonight just got bad.  For a quick background, here are our mini summaries.  Me:  Born into the food business, grew up in a house with a kitchen that supported said business, cook at least once a day, always checking out new cook books, spent years selling cookware and have more fun at the grocery store than at the gun store.  I love to cook.  GF:  Raised on frozen/pre-made meals, usually eats take out, cooking skills range from boxed mac n cheese to scrambled eggs.  

Because of this I staked the kitchen as my own, with her telling me I can.  In doing so I've also been cooking for the two of us.  Last night was pasta, red sauce, meatballs, garlic bread.  The night before was over baked chicken, string beans, mashed potatoes.  Breakfast today was omelettes, turkey bacon and toast.  So yea...I use the kitchen.

Well she is just used to shoving everything in the dishwasher, but I prefer to hand wash a few things because (1) My cast iron and non stick cookware aren't dishwasher safe, (2) sometimes its a bigger job than the dishwasher can handle and (3) why run the dishwasher for a few pots and pans that I could just clean myself in a few minutes?.  So I bought a sponge and then we bought some dish soap.  When we get home she goes to put everything away and tells me "We already had dish soap under the sink", I respond "You keep dishsoap under the sink?" and get a "Yea" as if I'm a retard for not figuring that one out.

So then she tells me it looks trashy having the soap by the sink and I argue that I don't want to reach under the sink several times a day every time I want to use it and then put it away.  Shit, I could understand if we lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright house and our home was a piece of art, but we live in a nor.mal town house where I cook.  So words are exchanged, I won and the dish soap is by the sink, but I'm wondering...

Am I crazy to have the dish soap by the sink?  I've worked house parties as a caterer in every sort of house and they all had dish soap out.  Sure, maybe it was in a Williams Sonoma bottle and not a Dawn bottle, but it was there.

What say ye arfcom?

Since thou asketh in a most peculiar manner, in same fashion I hereby do declare thou fail miserably, for doth prepare thy turkey bacon, a most blasphemous and treacherous fare it be.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine's is right beside the sink. Growing up it was the same.

If it bothers her so much she could get one of those fancy soap bottles

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If it really is "Your" kitchen, it should be your decision. The thing here is that if something this trivial bothers you two enough to have words over it, stand by.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
What say ye arfcom?

"eject"  ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This. And I might add that it MUST go on the right side of the sink.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in the kitchen and make me a pie!

Tell her that when her friends come over she can hide the dishsoap.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

same at my house.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I leave it by the faucet, wife puts it under the sink.

We both do it our way, and we both learned to live with the other's way of doing it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Goes right by the sink in it's soap dish, with the sponge sitting on top so you can quickly clean your dishes and get eatin!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
You put it in the dispenser beside the faucet, which I guess technically stores it below the counter.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I voted normal, but you're still a bit of a tard for arguing about it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
...turkey bacon...

GTFO

yeah i don't know how i feel about
Quoted:

....  Shit, I could understand if we lived in a Frank Lloyd Wright house and our home was a piece of art, but we live in a nor.mal town house where I cook.  So words are exchanged, I won and the dish soap is by the sink, but I'm wondering...

... Sure, maybe it was in a Williams Sonoma bottle and not a ?

all portions in bold make me think a combination of the following:
*WTF?
*you know how i know you're gay?
*EJECT!
*SIHPAPP

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#26]
If you didn't like how something looks that your girlfriend needs readily accessible, you'd find a container for it that looks better.

She should have the same respect for you.  They make nice looking dish soap dispenser things.  Same stores that sell a lot of wicker baskets and crap.  Tell her that if she picks out a good looking one that works well, you'll use it.

You guys have to start figuring this shit out if you're thinking of getting married.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Put the dish soap in a decorative pump thingy, and she'll love it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Dish soap to the left of the faucet.

Turkey bacon = FAIL
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Your bitch ass will be beaten like a rented mule.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have more fun at the grocery store than at the gun store.

Really?

Anyway, my house is set up to be primarily FUNCTIONAL!

Form always follows function.

For me I find the guitar shop to be a lot more fun than the gun shop, the guitar shop actually has people who know what the fuck they're talking about.

I keep my soap by the sink since I use it a lot and I wash dishes completely THEN put them in the dishwasher.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Exactly.

Spare bottle goes under the sink.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If it really is "Your" kitchen, it should be your decision. The thing here is that if something this trivial bothers you two enough to have words over it, stand by.

Meh, on the big issues we can rationally discuss them, talk things out and be happy.  

Its the little things that we get snippy over, because them seem so small and minor that one of us can't really see the others side.  When she had to transfer for her job and I had to move with her, it was understandable.  When I discussed going back into the NG, she didn't like it, but she gets it.  When we talked about moving back to my home state in a few years, she knows why its best and even told her family about it.  When it comes to where to put the dish soap though...things get heated...    
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I think it sucks that you all moved in together.  

I give it 3 months.  

I have the soap on the sink, and I don't think either way is "trashy".

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#40]
My wife, the queen of OCD, has repeatedly stated that the dish soap goes in the right hand cabinet under the sink with the label facing towards the front.

I put it on the counter just to mess with her.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Where the fuck else would it go?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Put the dish soap in a decorative pump thingy, and she'll love it.

This. And I agree with the OP - it's pointless for the dish soap to be under the sink. I rarely use the dishwasher myself unless I have a massive amount of dishes, or I'm going out somewhere and won't have time to do the dishes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where the fuck else would it go? Except in the cabinet below the sink, which is inconvenient!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I agree that it's inconvenient. If I have something on my hands that necessitates me washing it off why would I want to get it all over the cabinet doors just to get to the soap.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:40:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I keep it under the sink, just because I like a clean workspace.

Nothing wrong with keeping it next to the faucet, imo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Same here.  Only in the kitchen, though.  You start putting that shit near the bathroom sinks or whatnot, and yeah, it's weird as hell.  Also handy for when you have 1 dish to wash, and don't want to use the damn dishwasher.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#46]
By the sink.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Where else would you put it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

My wife, the queen of OCD, has repeatedly stated that the dish soap goes in the right hand cabinet under the sink with the label facing towards the front.

I put it on the counter just to mess with her.

Whoaaaa

That's fucking crazy.  My Girlfriend thinks I'M OCD about things.

ETA: We keep ours by the sink.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Were I not married to my wonderful wife, I would have power-tools on top of the fridge and my old Al Bundy couch.

I figure, if I don't like the decoration I just won't see it after a while.

If she doesn't like it, she will notice it forever.

So she gets cart blanche (more or less) to decorate. Eventually it doesn't even register on me.

Luckily she does like a lot of the same artsy stuff I do, skulls & Bettie Page, etc...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same at my house.

me too

I use my dish soap as hand soap too

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top