Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2009 5:40:47 PM EDT
Couple of random thoughts.

I know that the blank firing adaptor is supposed to provide some back pressure for reliable FA in training, but is it needed on a semi-auto.  Not that I have any desire to fire blanks.  Just curious.

I heard that the movie industry often has reliability issues with FA blank fire (and they also love a good muzzle flash).  What kinda stuff do they do to enhance flash and run without BFA?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's needed for semi.

No idea about TV guns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's needed on FA, it's needed on SA too. Many movie guns have constricted barrels so you never see the BFA
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they use a "hollywood" BFA that fits entirely inside the barrel...

I believe you need one to fire most blanks semi-auto...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess without BFA it would be "bolt action" then
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I guess without BFA it would be "bolt action" then

Pretty much.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That makes sense.  I see alot of movies use A1 birdcages on A2's and M4's to get 360degrees of flash too.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I want to be a hollywood armorer
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I understand the Movie/TV guns primarily run off of propane and not blanks.  That's how they get the impressive muzzle flashes.  I can't remember where I heard that, but I want to say some show on History Channel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Hollywood BFAs are piece of metal between the flash hider and the barrel that blocks enough of the gas to cycle the weapon, while still allowed enough to escape to provide the flash....
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I peppered a guys face once while my 60 was wearing an adapter.

We were the aggressors, and the dumb ass was sneaking up on the side of the bldg.

I stuck a 60 just past the edge of the bldg he was sneaking up on, and let loose.

So yeah, there's still junk coming out the sides.

I laughed, he whined like a school girl.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
We used M16s without BFA for salute duty.  Bolt action repeater.

The BFAs used in Hollywood fit inside the flash suppressor.  They also use different blanks which have more of a pyrotechnic mixture.

The BFA has a tiny hole in it since the powder used is only about 1/4 the normal amount and a VERY FAST type of flake.  It is faster than most pistol powders.

The BFA for the A1 and A2/A4 has a smaller hole than that used on the M4.  Lower volume in the carbine barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I understand the Movie/TV guns primarily run off of propane and not blanks.  That's how they get the impressive muzzle flashes.  I can't remember where I heard that, but I want to say some show on History Channel.

I thought they just used more powder than your average hot load to achive the uber flashes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Now the BFA for the M2 HB simulates recoil too since this MG is recoil operated.  Ungainly thing that fits over the muzzle with three rods extending back to the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know a guy a the welding supply store who said he built a few 1919 kits into propane non-guns for vintage jeep and half-track owners to put on their turrets.  Got alot of attention from the police at an antique car meet he said.  Think he used a solenoid valve and a stove ingnitor...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Movie guns usually have the barrels changed out to a constricted barrel diameter to trap enough enough gas to to operate the actions instead of a external adapter.

Other movie guns say the belt fed machine guns your see, actually are modified with a pulse regulator use propane to operate the action and create the muzzle flashes. Pretty cool actually saw one in a parade once privately owned, the guy was lettign loose with it hooked to a 20 gallon tank of propane, looked and sounded like the real thing firing up in the air off the float. His was a movie prop M-2 Browning.

To answer your question YES, any gas operated operation of weapon to work would have to constrict the gas to the point there is enough left to cycle the action, full or semi auto.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We used M16s without BFA for salute duty.  Bolt action repeater.

The BFAs used in Hollywood fit inside the flash suppressor.  They also use different blanks which have more of a pyrotechnic mixture.

The BFA has a tiny hole in it since the powder used is only about 1/4 the normal amount and a VERY FAST type of flake.  It is faster than most pistol powders.

The BFA for the A1 and A2/A4 has a smaller hole than that used on the M4.  Lower volume in the carbine barrel.

I guess thats why they are yellow.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

False.  You need a BFA to fire any & all blanks except for on bolt actions.  

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I use a standard red, from the 20" rifles on my M4-  Cycles blanks just fine.  Blanks are great for function testing.

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#19]
You can make a BFA your self.

Take a spent 223 case and pop the spent primer out. Get a hacksaw or dremal and cut the back of the case off where the primer is. Cut about 1/8 or so up from the end of the case. In other words if you were to stand the case up the cut would be about 1/8th up from the rim. Unscrew the FH on your weapon and place your newly made BFA on the end of your barrel Primer hole pointing down range. Re-attach FH. DO NOT SCEW IT ALL THE WAY DOWN OR REALLY TORUQE IT DOWN. You will be able to tell how far is enough. You won't be able to see the BFA.

Load Blanks and fire away. When done be prepared to really have to clean that weapon. It will be a lot dirtier. 10 rounds of blanks seems to equal 200 live rounds or more.

DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE BFA BEFORE SHOOTING LIVE ROUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!
I repeat.

DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE BFA BEFORE SHOOTING LIVE ROUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!

Or go buy one. Its actually safer cause you can see the adapter and that will hopfully clue you in to not shoot live rounds.

I have a ton of blanks and I used to let my girls shoot them in the garage to help them work on their shooting positions. Damm edited for spelling.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone know if the M4 one will work with an Izzy? not the muzzle brake but the actual flash hider?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Antone know if the M4 one will work with an Izzy? not the muzzle brake bu the actual flash hider?

I think the Izzy is longer isn't it? The back of the BFA has a U shape notch that fits around the back of the A2 FH in those groves and its a pretty tight fit on the A2 one. But I'm not sure.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Antone know if the M4 one will work with an Izzy? not the muzzle brake bu the actual flash hider?

I think the Izzy is longer isn't it? The back of the BFA has a U shape notch that fits around the back of the A2 FH in those groves and its a pretty tight fit on the A2 one. But I'm not sure.

It is longer. I am guessing the M4 one is the same  with just a different gas port.

Damn. I have a  lot of blanks still.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It is longer. I am guessing the M4 one is the same  with just a different gas port.

Damn. I have a  lot of blanks still.

read my 1st post (a couple post up). That does work, I have done it and it really is easier than it sounds. Or do you have a 14.5" barrel with a perm Izzy attached?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Or do you have a 14.5" barrel with a perm Izzy attached?

Yeah one of those.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top