Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2009 5:40:16 PM EDT
My dad just got home from a meeting of one of the Fire Department auxilliaries(Fire Police) well another fire police officer showed him a picture he took with his cell Phone out behind his house between coming home from work and heading to the meeting.

The man thought he saw a BEAR in his back yard so he went sneaking up to snap a photograph with his cell phone, when the flash went off it was BISON!!!

In the middle of Pennsylvania, he had half grown BISON in his yard!!!

Now there are A couple BISON FARMS in the county but they are all like 20 miles at least from this guys house.

ELK, yes the pennsylvania herd has grown so big they are being seen regularly around the outskirts of my town which is about 30 miles as the crow flies from where the ELK herd was introduced in the 50's but not BISON.

I'll have to see if the guy knows how to e-mail photos to me using a cell phone to my computer.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the Bison used to roam the entire continent... No reason a herd couldn't get started if enough got loose in PA...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a non-native species, can you hunt them in PA without having to follow any regs?

If so, and you're not interested, I'm gonna call dibs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If it's a non-native species, can you hunt them in PA without having to follow any regs?

I think if they were from the local farm they'd be no different than loose cattle.

Then again, a lot of bison ranches here will allow you to buy a buffalo and hunt it on their land.  They'll even butcher it for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ranchers there did the same thing.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think if they were from the local farm they'd be no different than loose cattle.

Then again, a lot of bison ranches here will allow you to buy a buffalo and hunt it on their land.  They'll even butcher it for you.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ranchers there did the same thing.

There is a bison farm here in Ohio not too far from me that sells a lot of meat to individual consumers.  They were advertising at a little event I went to, and I jokingly asked the owner if I could come out and shoot my own.  He said in the thirty some years he's been raising buffalo, I was the first person to ask.  Then he said no.  Nice enough guy, just didn't like my suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.buffalobullhunt.com/

This is one of them here in Utah.  They advertise a lot; I've considered doing it but I'd have to buy a bigger freezer and I can't afford that right now.  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Theres a good sized Bison farm outside of Bedford.

Some guy up here in State College had a few but I haven't seen them lately
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
probably just got loose...

It is odd to see fields with cows and then all the sudden see something big and furry in the next field.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah shit, my computer is too old it won't support the type of Phot file his cell phone uses.

It may have scaped one of the Bison farms here in Clearfield County, but i doubt it as this creature would have had to cross the West Branch Susquehanna to get to where this guy lives either way if it escaped from one of the ranches.

NO, you cannot just shoot it, because BISON were a native species here at one time, the game commision would have a standing duty to protect it. This is based on a ruling that a Judge made about about Feral Hogs about a year ago.

I'm almost wondering if this not yet another animal the Game Commission reintroduced that they will deny doing so, like say the mountain lions they re introduced yet did not re introduce according to them, the Coyotes they re introduced but did not re introduce according to them........
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
We have...well, had some here.  http://www.islandpacket.com/266/story/505885.html
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Ah shit, my computer is too old it won't support the type of Phot file his cell phone uses.

It may have scaped one of the Bison farms here in Clearfield County, but i doubt it as this creature would have had to cross the West Branch Susquehanna to get to where this guy lives either way if it escaped from one of the ranches.

NO, you cannot just shoot it, because BISON were a native species here at one time, the game commision would have a standing duty to protect it. This is based on a ruling that a Judge made about about Feral Hogs about a year ago.

I'm almost wondering if this not yet another animal the Game Commission reintroduced that they will deny doing so, like say the mountain lions they re introduced yet did not re introduce according to them, the Coyotes they re introduced but did not re introduce according to them........
Conspiracy theory dealing with the Wildlife department.... only on ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a Bison farm near us in W. PA.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#13]
There was one in Iowa that used to advertise "hunting trips"...  I think it was $2500 to "hunt" a bison...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
there was an ear tagged whitetail from NIST in Gaithersburg MD that was found dead at Dulles

It must a have swum the Potomac...
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Well the "conspiracy" regarding the Coyotes isn't a conspiracy!!! It's FACT, a Game commission biologist me and my brother were talking to let it slip one time during a conversation he mentioned "......sponsers for coyote stocking when they were re intorduced!" then hurried up and ttried to backtrack by trying to convince us that not what he meant.

As for the Mountain lions. well lets just say about 20 years ago the Game Commission of Pennsylvania was complaining about DEER over population while Hunting Licenses were decreasing...lo and behold all of a sudden the Coyote population exploded and so did the number of sightings of Mountain Lions that have been extinct since the early 20th century here.

So you explain it if the Game commission is not putting them here to control game populations there are no longer enough hunters to control then who is?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Conspiracy theory dealing with the Wildlife department.... only on ARFCOM.

You've obviously not dealt or heard about the PA State Game Commission.  They are either secretly moving mountain lions into the state or denying their existance when someone claims to see one.  Potter County for example and the surrounding areas always have stories of big cats roaming and how they know someone who knows someone who saw the truck bringing them into the state for the super secret Game Commission's plan to reintroduce lions back into our state.

It's like their the Men In Black only with ranger like uniforms.  

Of course you don't know who to believe after a while and the rumors and stories all blend together leading to disheveled plot lines and misnamed characters.

I for one just like to hunt small game and deer and pretty much ignore those stealthy invisible cats altogether.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I could see one wander around that got free. Tell him to send you the pic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top