Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2009 11:06:39 AM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/05/kerik.guilty.plea/index.html

White Plains, New York (CNN) –– Former New York Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik on Thursday pleaded guilty to charges of lying to Bush administration officials who vetted his unsuccessful 2004 nomination to be homeland security secretary.

Kerik admitted to eight counts as part of a plea agreement with federal prosecutors, who are recommending a 27- to 33-month prison term. U.S. District Judge Stephen Robinson set Kerik's sentencing for February 18.

In court papers, prosecutors said Kerik denied to a White House official that there was "any possible concern" about his relationships with the contractors involved in renovations to his apartment or that he had any financial dealings with prospective city contractors.

Kerik, 54, had been scheduled to go to trial next week on a variety of corruption charges, including allegations that he received and concealed benefits of about $255,000 in renovations to his Riverdale, New York, apartment from a company seeking to do business with the city of New York. He pleaded guilty to that charge and several tax-related counts during Thursday morning's hearing.

Robinson said he would take into account Kerik's life and career, which he said "included good" as well as wrongdoing. Kerik put his head in his hands at that point.

Kerik has spent the past two weeks in jail after a judge revoked his bail. According to court papers released in late October, he violated the terms of his bail by leaking confidential evidence about his case to a lawyer who published the material online.

Kerik served as New York police commissioner from 1998 to 2002 –– a tenure that included the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack that destroyed the World Trade Center and killed more than 2,700 people. He spent a brief stint in Iraq training the country's police force after the U.S. invasion in 2003, and was nominated by President George W. Bush for the post of homeland security secretary in 2004. However, he withdrew from consideration after allegations surfaced that he employed a nanny whose immigration status was murky.

In 2006, Kerik pleaded guilty to accepting tens of thousands of dollars worth of gifts while he worked as city corrections commissioner, but under a plea agreement he paid $221,000 in fines and avoided jail time. His admission dogged the 2008 presidential campaign of his longtime patron, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who said his endorsement of Kerik had been "a mistake."

Kerik made an unsuccessful appeal for clemency to Bush in late 2008, according to court papers released in October.

CNN's Mary Snow and Julian Cummings contributed to this report.

I thought his withdrawl from the DHS pick had to deal with his stock in Tazer....interesting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#1]
he is dead
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

he is dead

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought Turbo Tax Cheat Time Geithner didn't pay taxes either?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was at DHS, we were thrilled that we were going to get a real law enforcement type leader, then we found out all the shit he was involved in and we were all bummed, and we got stuck with another lawyer, Jerkoff, I mean Chertoff.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When I was at DHS, we were thrilled that we were going to get a real law enforcement type leader, then we found out all the shit he was involved in and we were all bummed, and we got stuck with another lawyer, Jerkoff, I mean Chertoff.

Word round the campfire in NYC was that Bernie was bent as far back as his Corrections days.

I was stunned the White House picked him; knew from the word go that that was gonna be a disaster.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Look whom we have now
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
NY vice cops had a safe house for snitches/witnesses that needed a quick place to stay b4 paper work could be done to house them in a more permanent basis...bernie took it from them and used it as  fuk pad to hit his biographer -all on your dime btw cause the feds paid the $ for the house and you all know who that publisher is/was lol
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Another self-serving fuck gets his in the (hind) end.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
NY vice cops had a safe house for snitches/witnesses that needed a quick place to stay b4 paper work could be done to house them in a more permanent basis...bernie took it from them and used it as  fuk pad to hit his biographer -all on your dime btw cause the feds paid the $ for the house and you all know who that publisher is/was lol

No, I don't.
Who?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top