Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 10:51:40 PM EDT
A few days ago I took my boy out late in the afternoon to doing a little plinking with his cricket.  After standing for a few minutes, he looked and asked if he could get on the ground.  I assumed he was going to have a difficult time getting into a comfortable position, but wanted to see how he would do on his own.

I think he did ok.  

No comments on the BSA red dot.  He tried the irons and wanted a "scope like dads"  The BSA was the only immediate option at wallyworld.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Lucky kid. I wasn't allowed to touch firearms until I was ten.

I have a few memories of my parents old house. One, when I was 3 or 4, was watching the news and saw pictures of soldiers on the news with these cool looking guns (I always played with toy soldiers and loved it.) A minute later, my dad walked in with his Colt AR15, and I followed him to his gun room. I stood there behind the child gate watching him clean it and reload ammunition. I was infected with BRD at the age 4.

Before that, I remember watching the news of the assault weapons ban being passed and how it would make us safer and heard the "for the children" crap. I was 4 years old. My dad commented negatively, and I asked why banning evil guns was a bad thing. My parents were very pissed and distraught over the ban, and explained that they were lying on TV. He then told me that he owned a bunch of guns like that, and wanted me to be able to own them in the future. And now I can, and I'm hooked!

But yeah, it all starts young. I wouldn't be the pro-gun guy I am today if I didn't wait with impatience from age 4 to 10 to finally be able to shoot. And actually shooting has made it that much more of a passion.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
GO Ice Jr.!!

I think kids should start with an easy sighting system such as the red dot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
awesome job. get him started early.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#4]
sweeeet!!!

I took my little girl out, who is also 6, a couple of months ago and let her shoot my AR with the .22 conv kit in it. She is hooked and wants to go shoot all the time now. She also tried the irons and didn't do very well so I put my 4x glass on there and she quickly learned to put the crosshair on the orange circle and squeeze the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Suggest teaching him irons first...Then dots.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#6]

That's awesome.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I took my 5 year old (girl) out a week ago and shot the 10/22. she had a problem with the irons too. she also was too small for the gun. I have seen the crickets in the fun shops. are they worth it? I guess i need to get something small enough for her to hold but the crickets seemed cheap.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:17:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Get a Savage Cub.  It has an Accu Trigger, decent sights and perfect size for a little one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I took my 5 year old (girl) out a week ago and shot the 10/22. she had a problem with the irons too. she also was too small for the gun. I have seen the crickets in the fun shops. are they worth it? I guess i need to get something small enough for her to hold but the crickets seemed cheap.

I think I'm getting my 6 year old daughter a cricket for christmas.  Seems to be slightly smaller compared to a 10/22.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:45:52 AM EDT
[#11]
He's a natural! How did you mount the sight?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a Savage Cub.  It has an Accu Trigger, decent sights and perfect size for a little one.

This is what my 2 1/2 year old daughter has. Savage cub T in pink. She obviously hasn't shot it yet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]
five and six is the perfect age to start them out. and i say that because thats when my dad started me!

people always look at me like im crazy when i say im going to start my boy out at six, but i was raised with firearms around me all the time and i was raised to use them. gave me respect for them and i never tried anything stupid.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome!  I grew up never being around guns other than pellet guns and just actually got into guns this past summer.  My two daughters have been asking me to take them to the range so I finally obliged my oldest (she's 9) the other week.  She got spooked at first by the ejected cases flying out but I calmed her down and convinced her to give it one try.  That was all it took and now she is hooked.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/CDBNTX/Guns/kiddo1shooting.jpg
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Suggest teaching him irons first...Then dots.

I used to think the same thing until I tried to teach a couple kids how to shoot. The single shot/keep both sights aligned/both eyes open/breath properly/press the trigger/etc. process was too frustrating for them to keep them interested.

The key to keeping new/young shooters involved is success and fun. I know it seems backward but the fundamentals can be worked in later. After all, they have to want to shoot to be able to teach them to shoot.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#16]
AIM SMALL,MISS SMALL

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Cool!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Good job dad.
Start em young.
7 yrs old here

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I started my son on a Walther P22 when he was 6.  Then we took out the Marlin 39A on a bag and he loved it.  Now I can't keep him away from my 24" barrel AR.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#20]
That's just awesome.  My boy is 5 so next year will be a big year for him.  I'm still waffling on the rifle but the Savage Cub is a contender.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#21]
There's something magical to kids about going prone.  I remember when i was 4 or 5 and my dad took me out to shoot the BB gun for the first time.  After getting me started I asked if I could lay down like the soldiers.

My boy at 6.  (He's 8 now):

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I was a little reluctant to add the red dot at first since I preferred he master the irons.  But I quickly realized he enjoyed shooting much more with the red dot as the accuracy was greatly improved.  This allowed me to focus on the other aspects of safety, trigger control, breathing etc.  I figure he can work on the irons when he gets a little older.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I ordered the mount from cricket themselves.  It is a grooved .22  mount, not traditional weaver base.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Marlin 915Y or similar is slightly more money but a much nicer rifle.  My daughter loves to shoot.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was a little reluctant to add the red dot at first since I preferred he master the irons.  But I quickly realized he enjoyed shooting much more with the red dot as the accuracy was greatly improved.  This allowed me to focus on the other aspects of safety, trigger control, breathing etc.  I figure he can work on the irons when he gets a little older.

I think I am goin to try this. my daughter was too distracted to use the irons and hit anything.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like you've got him off to a good start.
My daughter is still only 9 months old. I'm really looking foreward to teaching her.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Awesome! I love threads like these. My little nephew is only a year and a half old. I can't wait to take him shooting when he gets a little older.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
To make the irons easier paint the front sight a different color than the rear.  My sons Henry Mini-Bolt came with fiber optic sights, front is yellow, rear is orange.  It makes it very easy to explain to the kids and easy fro them to shoot with.

Both my kids started at 5.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I'm getting my 6 year old daughter a cricket for christmas.  Seems to be slightly smaller compared to a 10/22.  

The Crickets, etc are a lot smaller and especially lighter than 10/22's.  My 7 y.o. was shooting a Henry Mini-bolt at the range last weekend and it was pretty much the perfect size for her.  

Her older sister had to move up a bit so the little one could shoot the Henry, so she (10 y.o.) was using my SP1 Carbine with a CMMG .22 kit.  She LOVED that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like the force is strong in that one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]
The cricket is damn near a perfect fit for him right now.  I looked at the Henry's as well, since I feel they are a better gun, but I went cheap for a reason.  I let him carry this rifle when we go "hunting", to try and work on his muzzle awareness and safety while carrying.  He has dropped, stepped on and drove the barrel into the dirt at least 20 times with this gun and I'm sure he will do it a few more times.  All I wanted out of his first rifle was for it to work, and to fit him, which the cricket does very well.

I was showing my cousin my 7.5" AR pistol last weekend and let him shoot it.  In turn his boys tried it as well, although they were a little older than my boy.  Last thing mine looks at me and says "Can I?"  I was too distracted to get any pics since I knew what his intentions were when I let him loose with it.  I held the forend just to make sure he didn't drop it or anything and he pulled up and  touched off 5 or 6 rounds in about 3 seconds.

He grinned most of the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#33]
By the way everyone...

The number one issue with little guys shooting isn't length of pull or recoil or any of that stuff - it's Eye Dominance.  It's the reason a lot of you mention how much easier a scope or red dot is.

Try this trick and you'll be absolutely amazed how well a child can shoot.

We tried this at summer camp with the Cubs and wound up doing it with over half of them.  Just put a piece of paper over thier non-dominant eye.  It prevents them from trying to use both eyes, switching eyes in the middle of a shot, tilting their head over to use the weak eye - all kinds of wierdness they'll do.

My son went from getting maybe 1 shot in 5 on the paper to getting 5 shots in the black after I did it.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#34]
That a good point about eye dominance.  I have already worked on that with my son, since I am right handed but left eye dominant, and thought he might be the same.  He is right eye dominant and had issue for awhile trying to use both eyes all the time.  you could see him moving his head all around trying to see.  Once he got better at his head position, the eye issue has pretty well cleared itself up and his is very consistent with his sighting.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A few days ago I took my boy out late in the afternoon to doing a little plinking with his cricket.  After standing for a few minutes, he looked and asked if he could get on the ground.  I assumed he was going to have a difficult time getting into a comfortable position, but wanted to see how he would do on his own.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/JlRolfe/tprone.jpg

I think he did ok.  

No comments on the BSA red dot.  He tried the irons and wanted a "scope like dads"  The BSA was the only immediate option at wallyworld.

My little brother has one on his AR. Been on there for over six years with no problems and I can pick it up and shoot just as well with it as I can with my Aimpont Comp 3 .
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I approve
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Awesome!  I grew up never being around guns other than pellet guns and just actually got into guns this past summer.  My two daughters have been asking me to take them to the range so I finally obliged my oldest (she's 9) the other week.  She got spooked at first by the ejected cases flying out but I calmed her down and convinced her to give it one try.  That was all it took and now she is hooked.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/CDBNTX/Guns/kiddo1shooting.jpg

Looks like you should have retracted that stock in a little for her. Other than that, she looks like she's having fun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's what I was going to say about red-dots. Kids enjoy it alot more when they can just put the dot on target an shoot. I think they are semi-used to it because of video games. Let them have their fun, then teach them irons later.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Very nice.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Good job Dad.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Good times.

I took my 6yo hunting last weekend.

Details in the hunting forum.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My 5-year-old son has a Crickett - looks cheap but it is quite durable. He loves it and he likes shooting daddy's AR, too!

A Crickett is substantially smaller than a 10/22. Perfect for the 4 - 10 year old crowd.

I suggest dots first, then irons. As an instructor, you want to start with relatively easier skills, then progress to the more difficult skills.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I took my ex-gf's 4 year old daughter with me a couple of times...miss that kid quite a bit, she used to "help" me work on my pick-up too...

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Some additional pics from a few weeks ago.

A boy and his rifle...

Obligatory 10/22 mag dump

15 year old daughter  with the 10/22  (I know no glasses, we have rectified that)

15 year old daughter with the 4506

Her first time shooting a handgun, she did very well and and no issue with the recoil.  Her and I looked at the pics later and discussed her grip, posture ect and she wants to go again soon.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#46]

It is illegal for anyone under 10 years old to hunt in Maine.  I let him carry his rifle, unloaded when we go out.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I can't wait for Blackfire Jr. to be old enough to go shooting and hunting. He has his own AR already and he's only 15 months old.

I need to get a .22lr conversion for it so he can shoot it sooner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top