Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 6:48:39 PM EDT
got a 3 cell LED maglight with crusty batteries, got 2 batteries out, but the last one is stuck.

tried slamming the flashlight down quite a few times and no luck.

i cant figure out how to remove the led light bulb so i can push it out.

any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
when I first read the thread title I saw

best way to remove crusty batteries out of a fleshlight?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Superglue on end of stick.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What brand of batteries?

Energizer/Duracell will reimburse you for the cost of the batteries and the cost of a new light.

I had this happen with Duracell cells in a Dorcy flashlight a few years ago, called them up and the nice lady on the phone took my info and sent me a check for a new light and a coupon for a free 4-pack of batteries. I sent the light off to them as well, but I actually received the check before they ever got the light.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What brand of batteries?

Energizer/Duracell will reimburse you for the cost of the batteries and the cost of a new light.

I had this happen with Duracell cells in a Dorcy flashlight a few years ago, called them up and the nice lady on the phone took my info and sent me a check for a new light and a coupon for a free 4-pack of batteries. I sent the light off to them as well, but I actually received the check before they ever got the light.

This. send pictures in an email and they'll help you out. other brands will,too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]

I sent mine to Maglight - they have a webpage about this - they have agreements with certain battery manufacturers and will replace the light with a new one.

I now have a new 3D mag that will get a Malkoff 260 lumen - 6hr. drop in ($65) and I'll pick up some rechargeable D's and I'm good to go.

Beats the wimpy 60 lumens, declining output anyday.

If you leave alkaline batteries in things, they will leak... just sayin'
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The old school MagLites (certain serial number, check the website) don't come apart; you can't get a stick in it from the top.

I beat the shit out of my 5 cell after having the same problem. It won't be the same, but I fixed. it. Keep slamming it down. I even broke a patio stone.

Rob

ETA: none of the batteries came out whole. It may take several hours but I fucking won. I recall using pliers and a rod to punch through the batteries. They weld themselves to the aluminum wall of the light.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Pour coca cola in it and let it soak for a while.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Or vinegar.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you leave alkaline batteries in things, they will leak... just sayin'

yep...i was going over my BOB and i checked out the flashlight, and it was not working, figured i left my light on or something,

these were rayovac batteries.... i was lulled into the thought that any type of cheapo batteries are good enough for a LED light.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or vinegar.

distilled white vinegar good enough ?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I had this happen to a the small Maglite Led. Got one battery out, the other is still in there.

Gonna try what others have said and contact Energizer or Maglite.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or vinegar.

distilled white vinegar good enough ?

It would work, but you'll still likely not have a usable light when you get finished.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a long wood screw and screw it into the bottom of the stuck battery. Once it is threaded in pull the battery out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#15]
End mill in a lathe.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a long wood screw and screw it into the bottom of the stuck battery. Once it is threaded in pull the battery out.

good thinking.... will the screw penetrate with minimal effort ? or should i get a long self tapping screw?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Kill it with fire.......er, wait a minute
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#18]
A liberal dousing with WD40 and then letting it sit for a few hours followed by some pounding into a towel worked for me.  The flashlight was unharmed and in use today.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#19]
baking soda and water?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#20]
suck it out
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:26:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
suck it out

Bullshit!  I bet you could suck a golf ball out of a garden hose crusted battery out of a maglite!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:49:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Use a long screw point wood bit.  Chuck it up in your cordless drill and screw that sucker into the battery, and yank it out.

A little Kroil won't hurt matters, either.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:55:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Baking soda and water...eats the corrosion the same way it does on battery posts in automotive apps.

Either way, yer light is probably ruined.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:58:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Baking soda and water...eats the corrosion the same way it does on battery posts in automotive apps.

Either way, yer light is probably ruined.

Car batteries use acid.  Alkaline batteries use - wait for it - an alkaline solution.  Therefore, you don't neutralize the chemicals in an alkaline battery with baking soda (which is alkaline).  Weak solution of vinegar would work, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top