Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 6:05:03 PM EDT
I'm watching Man-vs-Food.  Does eating large amounts of spicy foods in one sitting have a cumulative effect?  I don't have experience with it but I would think the spiciness would hit a plateau after a short bit and if you can handle that then every thing after that wouldn't matter as much.  But everything I've watched with him and others that have done his challenges it seems like it does seem to have an increasing effect.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I can eat raw jalapenos or cayennes with no problem. I still can't eat raw habaneros.

And yes, you build up a tolerance.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
once you reach the hoo hoo hee hoo hoo hee part the pain is constant.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That mans ass must hate him.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can eat raw jalapenos or cayennes with no problem. I still can't eat raw habaneros.

And yes, you build up a tolerance.

You can also lose that tolerance to a point.  But it comes back quick.

-X
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Once the hiccups start I have a hard time telling.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If you eat a consistent food all the time, you'll start to smell like that food. Curry, fish sauce, and garlic are common smell people can 'absorb'.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you eat a consistent food all the time, you'll start to smell like that food. Curry, fish sauce, and garlic are common smell people can 'absorb'.

Don't forget Kimchee.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Kimchee.

Produces some of the Best Room Clearing FART I have ever released. I have had people cusing and swearing after a good dose of Kimchee. It is great to be by your self sometimes. Wife say no to this shit or your out of here. You got it!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
yes. on my digestive system. and not for the better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Last Friday I ate a Naga Jolokia pepper (hottest pepper in the world) and the day after my friend ordered hot wings at a joint we usually go to. Normally, the hot wings are made with habanero and a few other hot sauces.

The hot sauce on those things was non existant. It wasn't spicy at all, but my friend said it was spicy. I guess eating spicy things increases your tolerance, if temporarily.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
the answer is no. it only gets so hot and then it's as hot as it gets

get you some of these, they're ridiculously hot:

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:35:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget Kimchee.

I had 2 ROK counterparts I had to room with at camp red cloud for a month.Those guys reeked 24/7 tough soldiers non the less...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Once the endorphines hit, you can take a good bit of abuse from hot stuff.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Once the endorphines hit, you can take a good bit of abuse from hot stuff.

the challenge lies in making it to the endorphines. those ghost peppers are BRUTAL.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm a bit chicken the "cock sauce" as it's called knocks me on my butt.

Those ghost chillies rather frighten me,they called that 'cos that's what they turn you into? I'd imagine it'd turn your asshole into a ghost the next day!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Those ghost chillies rather frighten me,they called that 'cos that's what they turn you into? I'd imagine it'd turn your asshole into a ghost the next day!

Those ghost chillies do not fuck around. I had one about half the size of my pinky and my mouth was on fire on the side I chewed it on.

My asshole burnt so bad the next morning that after I did my business I couldn't sit down to tie my shoes. Or sit down on the subway to my friends house. OR sit down at his place. It was just as hot going out as it was coming in.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I would recommend trying them just for the experience, but unless you're a serious pepper eater I'd say be careful. They're not making it up... that is the hottest thing I've ever eaten. Good, but hot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those ghost chillies do not fuck around. I had one about half the size of my pinky and my mouth was on fire on the side I chewed it on.

My asshole burnt so bad the next morning that after I did my business I couldn't sit down to tie my shoes. Or sit down on the subway to my friends house. OR sit down at his place. It was just as hot going out as it was coming in.

Affirmative.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would recommend trying them just for the experience, but unless you're a serious pepper eater I'd say be careful. They're not making it up... that is the hottest thing I've ever eaten. Good, but hot.

is it possible for extremely spicy peppers to actually put you in physical danger?  or just severe amounts of pain?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

is it possible for extremely spicy peppers to actually put you in physical danger?  or just severe amounts of pain?

as far as I know, no.

To put it in perspective, a Jalapeno ranks in at 8,000 scoville units; a habanero at 300,000 scoville units; a ghost pepper at 1,000,000.

commercial pepper spray is ~5,000,000 scoville units, and is sprayed into orafaces without killing humans.

I would think a pepper can't kill you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time I ate a raw habanero I was about half way done with it and wasn't too impressed so far. It was like eating a warm bell pepper.

Then it kicked in and I couldn't breathe and I felt like I was ready for some Exorcist like projectile vomiting. This went on for about 10 min's with me jumping around like an idiot trying to get air into my lungs and not pepper vomit.

I've steered clear of habaneros ever since...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top