Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 5:56:44 PM EDT
My great grandmother on my father side was half or full a native american.  She died in 1976 and her mother, my grandmother died in 99'.  Very little is known in our family about her and the tribe she hailed from, although my father and aunt say she was Chippewa.  Even at an old age she was easily identifiable as a person of some native american ethnicity.  Also she had some body art but nobody knows what it was.  I do remember her even though I was only 5 when she died, she was a frequent visitor and an interesting woman.  I'm interested in finding more but I do not know where to begin.  My motivation stems from the fact that my familiy is a typical mixture of many backgrounds and lineage.  I am predominantly Irish and that has been documented on my dad's father's side back to the first Irishman in my family to arrive here at Ellis Island but this facet of my ancestry interests me.  The documernted part of the family tree doesn't branch on my dad's mom at all.  It is almost as if it doesn't exist before her.  My father explained when I was younger that it was left out of the family tree because of the racial thing or something like that.  Any ideas?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://www.familysearch.org/[/url]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Take it from a native American, you are probably SOL. Not many records were kept on the indians and if you do not have a roll number, then you are going to have a very tough time finding out everything since the indians were basically kept track of by numbers.

Many indians rejected the numbers and they are very difficult to locate. My ancestors did not accept the numbers and the courhouse they were in, in Oklahoma, burned down in the early 1900's and are basically lost forever. So my family has no numbers, not that I or my family wants the shitty free little handouts offered by the govt. for them anyways.

My family has traced its roots back to Martha Washinton's daughter, Patsy Custis, George Washintons step daughter, but nothing past my great-grandmother on my mothers side who was a full blood Cherokee indian.

Good luck on finding anything out, but I wouldn't expect too much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top