Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/4/2009 3:25:26 PM EDT
If their car had manual windows, do you think they would still be alive?  Based on my assumption that they had power windows and could not open them under water.
Link if you don't know the story.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The situation is a little bizarre

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn more bad news. This just after I read about the Seattle Rookie cop that returned fire after her partner was gunned down.

I recommend carrying a window punch on a keychain to everyone I know just for situations like this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
How did not ONE of them figure out a way to break the glass?!?

There is either a LOT of Darwin Award here, or a LOT of missing info...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Electric windows work when wet. Panic is what really killed them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Why I prefer hand crank windows.  Although a round through the side window should work, as well...though my ears wouldn't like it; at least I'd be out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Panic and stupidity, you dont make phone calls when your underwater. There is always a way to break a window.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a lot of missing info. Also, how many young girls drive to the middle of nowhere just to "star gaze"? Is star gazing another term for drinking and smoking up?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
12v electrics should function underwater
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Based on my assumption that they had power windows and could not open them under water.

Watch the Mythbusters episode where they test this assumption.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is a lot of missing info. Also, how many young girls drive to the middle of nowhere just to "star gaze"? Is star gazing another term for drinking and smoking up?

Females of this age are for the most part retarded and still need adult supervsion.

ETA, males are just as bad.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Likely so.  All sorts of missing info, though.  Hopefully they'll figure more of the situation out.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless the impact was so dramatic that the 3 people inside were incapacitated for whatever reason, there isn't a reason why they still can't get out
from the vehicle before it's engulfed in water fully.  Common mistakes obviously are panic, trying to open doors against water pressure against doors
and windows and wasting energy trying the first things in this list.  

When I was in the academy we had to dive down 15 feet and pull a 150lb dummy out of a vehicle completely submerged in water.  The doors open easily
once the pressure inside the vehicle and outside the vehicle are equal, meaning you have to let the vehicle fill with water to make it easier to get out.

Here is a link with some good info......basic.

Water Crash
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There is always a way to break a window.

the front and back windows can always be pushed off, but the pressure of the water trying to get in would make it even harder to escape
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Breathe from pocket of air until the car totally filled up.

Hold breath.

Wait for equalization of pressure between outside and inside car.

Open door.

Swim to surface = live

Make panicked cell phone calls for help= die

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Panic kills.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link for window punch? Looked buy havent been able to find one that looked sturdy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Panic killed them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nope.  They were on the girl's softball team.  Star gazing means they were munching on something, or at least making their fingers stinky.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
sad to hear this
But really, before i would call someone on a cell phone i would have been preoccupied by trying to bust a window or opening a door.
there had to have been something in the vehicle to do this with.
Regardless, it is a tragedy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Link for window punch? Looked buy havent been able to find one that looked sturdy.

Either get one of the tools specifically designed for getting out of cars (usually a hammer, with a knife, window breaker and clip), or get a drill starter punch.  (I use the latter.)  It's a spring loaded tool you thrust against a hard surface (putting tension on the spring) which then releases a bullet like object to slam into the pointy end.  You can break just about any glass with it, as well as damage your knee something awful if you play with it.

I got mine for six bucks.

Realistically though, fumbling for a tool might not work out so well, focus on procedure; seatbelt off, seatbelt off others, car fills, escape.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Given that they decided to call a friend instead of 911 I would say panic had set in.  (Not that calling 911 would necessarily have saved them but would have been the more appropriate action to take)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Problem solving is not a strong suit of today's young Americans.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Why I prefer hand crank windows.  Although a round through the side window should work, as well...though my ears wouldn't like it; at least I'd be out.

Yeah, but you'll kill the guy that dove in to rescue you by accident.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are going to keep something in your car to break the window do not keep it in the glovebox.

Attach it to the steering column, or somewhere you can reach it while hanging in the drivers seat with your seat belt locked in place.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd say panic too,  These girls were in a situation unknown to them, so freaking out rendered them stupid
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Panic killed them.

Yep said car was setting on the bottom 10ft down. so standing on the roof a person 5 ft tall would be a foot out of water.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd say panic too,  These girls were in a situation unknown to them, so freaking out rendered them stupid

they were probably smoking dope and stupid to being with
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Panic and stupidity, you dont make phone calls when your underwater.

There is an extreme lack of self reliance here.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you are going to keep something in your car to break the window do not keep it in the glovebox.

Attach it to the steering column, or somewhere you can reach it while hanging in the drivers seat with your seat belt locked in place.

so you can drown while being suspended in your locked seatbelt?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been in a sinking vehicle ... that water comes up REALLY fast.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  They were on the girl's softball team.  Star gazing means they were munching on something, or at least making their fingers stinky.

Ugh, I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

Even if they could not open the windows, wait until the car is filed with enough water to equalize the pressure and open a door.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

+1

I was wondering this morning when I heard the news if the Jeep had power windows. When a car is underwater they would be stuck shut right?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on my assumption that they had power windows and could not open them under water.

Watch the Mythbusters episode where they test this assumption.

Exactly. Lots of area only takes little pressure to make the friction too great.  62 pounds of force for each square foot of window with only one foot of water depth.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They were softball players. I dont think they were drinking and smoking up while parked on a dark secluded road. Out of respect for the dead I will not speculate on what three softball players were doing parking.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#41]

wow

can't believe they made calls on their cell phones while their car was sinking

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have actually rescued someone from an overturned, submerged vehicle.
It's dark, the water comes up fast, you can't breathe even before the water reaches your face; it really, really sucks.

Panic is the norm, and the ability to stay focused is rare.  That one would have died in about 30 seconds if I hadn't gotten in there.
It's unfair to cast aspersions on these girls about their failure to rescue themselves, it's a lot worse in there than TV would lead you to believe.

Now, were they stupid as hell to drive into the pond?  Yup.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they were probably smoking dope and stupid to being with

Possibly, if drugs and /or alcohol were involved, that will add more grief to the parents.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm gonna have to disagree with the windows work when wet thing.

Personal experience and it was just from major rain, sitting in my truck and didn't think I was going to get anything to work until stuff dried out.

Everything had a shit fit, nothing worked that had power.(no fuses blown)

Don't believe everything you read on the interweb.

I'm sure there is more to this story, but that angle/line of thinking is just wrong.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:09:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Drowned in one of these?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#47]

It was a cherokee.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#48]
There is more to this story that has yet to be found.

Reports have said the girls went out stargazing often to the same place. If this is true then they must have been familiar with the area. If they are familiar with the area how did they get lost?

There are too many questions left, and I can't believe that it is as simple as getting lost and driving into a pond. Things just don't add up.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Another thing I thought of.......The moon has been really friggin bright here the last several nights.  I wonder if it was really dark there and how they did not see the pond.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Usually, but I think they may have meant "cow tipping", which is virtually the same thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top