Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 1:53:10 PM EDT
my laptop with the dreaded vista windows has symantic anti virus installed on it, well recently the live update has stopped working, I have uninstalled it and tried reinstalling it, I have taken the advice from the IT guys at my work, and installed and run ccleaner, and installed and run malwarebytes, even ran these in safe mode based on his suggestion, well anyway live update still will not work, any advice?
thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#1]
does internet work otherwise? what version?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
does internet work otherwise? what version?

version 10.2
and yes the internet works fine
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
uninstall Symantec and install Avast or AVG
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That happened with my AVG antivirus software, but it turned up a corruption notice.  I looked it up online and found a tutorial to fix it.  Are you getting any kind of message?  Can you manually run update?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What happens when you press the "Live Update" button?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I get the message lu1803 live update failed while getting your updates. your symantec programs were not updated. You should try getting your updates at a later time. If live updates fails again with this error, you should re-install Live Update.

and I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not trying to be snarky, but I would encourage you to get almost any other anti virus solution.

Your computer will run faster (in some cases very noticably), and you will likely be better protected.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not trying to be snarky, but I would encourage you to get almost any other anti virus solution.

Your computer will run faster (in some cases very noticably), and you will likely be better protected.

any suggestions on what one to use? Preferably free
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
uninstall Symantec and install Avast or AVG

which one is better?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get the message lu1803 live update failed while getting your updates. your symantec programs were not updated. You should try getting your updates at a later time. If live updates fails again with this error, you should re-install Live Update.

and I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, that doesn't work.

Download the .exe update from Symantec and see if  that works.

Contact Symantec about the error code  lu1803
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Also, is your Symantec account current?

They usually come with a temp demo account for 30 days (or whatever) which you must then pay for if you wish to continue using it.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]
A Symantec product not working?  Tell me it's not so!  

Worst POS security software on the market since the AOL Safety and Security Center went defunct, and it even gave that a run for it's money.

Get it off your computer and install something, ANYTHING, else.  AVG, Anti Vir, Bit Defender, Avast, etc, etc.  ANYTHING other than Symantec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top