Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2002 5:25:45 PM EDT
I saw the other thread on HP vs. Toshiba laptops, and there were a number of comments that Dell laptops weren't very good.

This is of more than passing interest to me, since I've been looking at a Dell 8800 laptop. The price was right, and it got decent reviews from pcworld.

This will be for typical home/home-office use, minimal travel or hard knocks (hopefully). I just need something to replace my ancient Fujitsu Lifebook 435Dx (133 pentium).

If the batteries weren't so danged expensive for the Fujitsu I'd still use it since it basically serves my needs, but the battery life isn't very good even when new. The Dell looks like it has great battery life since you can outfit it with 2 batteries.

I'm just curious why they weren't recommended.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have nothing bad to say about mine. Go for it! Don't like it? Send it back...
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We have been using Dells almost exclusively for a year now. I have 12 guys in the field with them and the only trouble I have had was a ribbon cable in the hinge made one of the displays go screwy.

Being high use machines (in and out of the case several times a day hooking up serial cables) these laptops see a lot of abuse. It seems like the batteries taper out at about 30 months or so. The ones I have had to buy were about 145.00 or so.

These are approx. 2 year old machines that we bought used, so that should give you a good idea about their ability to last.

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Dell is the corporate weenies laptop of choice because Dell supports their stuff well and that makes the life of the technical support guys easier.  Dells (AFAIK) are pretty good.  I haven't heard anyone say much bad about them.

However, if you're getting yourself one for personal use, and you don't plan on being a road-warrior with it, check out Winbook [url]www.winbook.com[/url].  I'm on my second one, and I haven't found anybody else that gives you as much bang for your buck.  They're a little heavier and maybe a little slower, but you get more features for the same money.  I have a [url=www.winbook.com/winbook_z1.html]Z1 [/url]and am very happy with it.  The 15.1" screen is excellent, and the built-in CR-RW is VERY handy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Dell Inspiron and my department owns about 30.  They have all held up well with only moderate fuss.  There were a few original lemons, but those were sent back immediately for replacements.  IMHO, Dell makes a solid product with an exellent warranty.  The quality of the warranty does not extend to promptness of telephone service however.

My rankings as per my experience:

1. IBM
2. Sony
3. Dell
4. Toshiba (no patriot should buy)
5. Winbook
6. Gateway
7. HP
200. Compaq.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
At work, all we use are dell inspiron 4000's.  Never had any problems except one which would lose the keyboard functions once a week.  Dell replaced ASAP and we have had no further incidents.  Highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Before Nortel laid everybody but the Board of Directors and the janitor off, we had hundreds of Dells out in the field with our installers, and they held up very well. I'm on my Latitude CSX500 right now, and I'm really happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
As many here know, I am an Administrator in a public school district.

We have 1500 Dell desktops, from GL+ to GX200.

We have 100 Dell laptops, from the CPi's to the Dell 8100's.

The reason I keep buying them is because they work and my tech's like them because they don't have a high rate of failure.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
why don't we like toshiba? were they the ones with the submarine propeller thingy?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My team supports several hundred. They are the preferred system, desktop or laptop. Mainly for what has been said before. Techs like them as they hold up hardware wise and have a good support site on the internet. Customers like them because they hang together, stylish, good features.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I am on a Dell Inspiron 4000 right now.  I have had this computer just over a year now.  It used to do some very wierd stuff.  It would lock up.  My trouble with my dell was fixed when i got rid of the wad of shit they call Windows ME!!!!!  I installed Xp on it and WOW!  No problems!!!  Also, my hard drive failed several months ago.  Dell's tech people are awesome.  They are very friendly and helpful.  They over nighted me a hard drive for free.

IBM is my fav.  I am thinking of getting another desktop.  I am thinking about an HP or a Sony.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't use my laptop unless I am traveling, but I haven't had any problems with my Dell and I know if I did they would fix it.

They have the best customer service, period.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
why don't we like toshiba? were they the ones with the submarine propeller thingy?
View Quote

Yes, they were the ones with the submarine propeller thingy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Nobody I know particularly likes Dells.  Boeing had a real problem with the ones they'd bought a few years ago;  I remember that Dell eventually, finally, agreed to take them all back, but then refurbished them and re-sold them to employees, who also had trouble and complained.  Something to do with a chip for the keyboard burning out, I think.

Maybe they've improved in the past three years.  All I know is, people who buy them are like people who buy Rugers -- they kinda sigh and then say that it was a good value for the money.  But if that's the best that can be said, clearly the product is not especially good. . . .
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a Toshiba Laptop that was a complete POS. Their support sucked and I ended up with a doorstop out of the deal. I replaced it with a Dell and will never own anything else. Dell is the best company I have ever worked with.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I've had three Toshiba laptops and every one has performed perfectly with no problems at all.  They are very good buys for the money.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I give Dell laptops "2 thumbs up"
I used a Dell Latitude for 3 years in a industrial environment.
I work with 8 other guys, and all have Dell Latitudes.
We have to carry our laptops out into the plant and hook up to different controls.
They get banged around quite a bit and exposed to a lot of dust.
About a year ago, some new project money came in so I ordered a new Latitude.
Same excellent performance so far.

We have to add lots of "odd" adapter cards to our computers to talk to different controls, and the Latitudes keep on humpin'.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:12:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

As any true patriot should know.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top