Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 9:36:11 AM EDT
Ok, it's time to purchase a new weapon. On the table we have a Howa 1500 .308 bolt action w/ Millet Tactical Rifle Scope and harris bi-pod. Or a Sig P220 .45, extra 2 mags, and holster.

Now, I love 'precision' rifles and also enjoy pistols. So I would be ok with either one. The option to get both 100% does NOT exist. Believe me, I wish it did.

I'm taking some antis and some new shooters up to a desert shoot to learn them the ropes, which leads me more towards a pistol as it would be more enjoyable/easier to shoot for them than a bolt gun.

At the same time, I'd like to have a long range gun up there to do some, well duh, long range shooting.

So, basically, what would YOU rather take up/shoot on?

I have so far going up:

AR

SKS

12GA

.22 Rifle

I'm thinking a pistol would fit nicely into that group, but I just can't decide!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#1]
IB"GB"

220 for sure.  Get the big bases covered before you start specializing.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Pistol, but not that one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Which one? When I got to my 'local' range I always try a new .45 while I shoot my AR... Sig P220 so far has been my 2nd favorite. HK 45 being first, and the Kimber Warrior 3rd.

What would you suggest? Rule is, it's gotta be .45

I can't have more than 10 round here anyways, so it might as well be the biggest 10 bullets I can get.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
You didn't list a pistol, so I vote you get the 220.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I would build up a bolt rifle other than Howa. I would probably either buy a FNH SPR action from CDNN and build it up with a Bartlein bbl and a Mcmillan stock/Super sniper scope or if you wanted to go cheaper a FNH PBR Barreled action from CDNN and then a Hogue w/alum bedding block and then SS 10x40. Otherwise I would get the Sig.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
i hate to say it, but based on your collection, get both.  you didn't say if the howa is a heavy barrel. the hunting taper rifles they sell are very accurate, although the trigger could use some improvement.  used p220 pistols are plentiful and unless the owners really abused them, they are incredibly accurate and reliable.

howa rifles are not so common on the used market, since they don't sell so many new ones.  they can still be found if you look around, and the brand name doesn't command such a high price on the used market due to the lack of recognition.

so perhaps if you save up a few more $$$, you can get both, and get good ones.  if you want tips on what to look for when you're buying a used bolt rifle, there are plenty of arfcommers who can provide excellent information.

other than that, you don't have a pistol and a p220 is a remarkable pistol.  if you don't want to try to find a good, used one, the pistol will be a nice addition to your arsenal.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which one? When I got to my 'local' range I always try a new .45 while I shoot my AR... Sig P220 so far has been my 2nd favorite. HK 45 being first, and the Kimber Warrior 3rd.

I can't have more than 10 round here anyways, so it might as well be the biggest 10 bullets I can get.

My choice was a G21. If you have girl hands, get an XD45.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup, no pistol on inventory.  Get the sig or other preferres pistol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

USP FS

The best handgun I have ever shot / owned.

ETA: About the P220, If you are going to carry or use a single stack .45 might as well get a 1911.  If not, get a USP.  Double stack magazines of WIN!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My choice was a G21. If you have girl hands, get an XD45.

Eh, can't say I really enjoyed shooting the G21. It wasn't 'bad' per-say, it just wasn't what I'm looking for. I have pretty big hands.

And I do agree on needing a pistol. So, the question is, where can I find the best deal on a P220? Buds Gun Shop has one for about $790... but the HK 45 is only $811 so I think I can find a better deal.

Any ideas on places to look?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USP FS

ETA: About the P220, If you are going to carry or use a single stack .45 might as well get a 1911.  If not, get a USP.  Double stack magazines of WIN!

Yes, I really did like the USP. Definitely my favorite. They are just pretty expensive and I can't really take advantage of being able to hold more than 10 rounds.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad has a 220 elite, nice gun. great trigger and points well too.
However, for the weight and size of the thing you only get 8 rounds. His USP45 isnt much heavier and it packs 12rounds.
I'm not gonna tell you to not get it, just weigh your options. If you can get it for a screaming deal then by all means get the Sig, but there are better choices in my opinion
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USP FS

Yes, I really did like the USP. Definitely my favorite. They are just pretty expensive and I can't really take advantage of being able to hold more than 10 rounds.

They have 10 round mags.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Yea I know
But if I'm gonna get a handgun, why get a double stack only to use 10 rounds? And spend extra cause mags cost a metric shit ton?

I just don't know if I can justify it as my first handgun purchase
Believe me, I would love to have a USP 45. But where can I find a good deal on one? P220s can be had for much cheaper I've heard...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I have seen worse jams in a USP than I have in Sigs.  Blasphemy, I know, and totally anecdotal.  I still think the USP is a fine weapon, and the variants offer a lot more control options than most pistols (SA/DA with manual safety and decocker), but I don't consider them absurdly better than most other pistols over the $400 mark.  Personal preference issue - don't let a logo or a price tag tell you what is best.

One weapon, double-stack .45, that I have been interested in picking up for a while is the FNP45.  Accurate, I like the trigger, 15-round mags.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Get the Sig 220 since you don't have a pistol yet, and you do have several long guns.

After that save up for a good precision rifle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd get the FNP 45 before the Sig, but that's JMO.

HH
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Go with the handgun. A Howa would be cool, but you can't CCW a bolt action.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Get the 220....

1. You do not have a handgun yet. Fills a major void.

2. You already tried it and are fond of it.

3. I had one and loved it. Still pissed to this day that I sold it for a 1911

4. They are built like tanks and very accurate.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Go with the handgun. A Howa would be cool, but you can't CCW a bolt action.

Can't really CCW a handgun here either
But point well taken should I move
(<–– me lusting after getting out of this place in a few months!)

So it's narrowed down to a P220 or USP 45. If I could find a USP for under $750, I go for the USP. Any thoughts on where to look? Sadly, I really only know the good AR shops online. Don't know much about handgun shops.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yea I know

But if I'm gonna get a handgun, why get a double stack only to use 10 rounds? And spend extra cause mags cost a metric shit ton?

I just don't know if I can justify it as my first handgun purchase

Believe me, I would love to have a USP 45. But where can I find a good deal on one? P220s can be had for much cheaper I've heard...

Dont get more wrong, the P220 is a fine weapon.  I just liked the UPS a whole lot more.   That and my visits to the HK factory in Germany made be biased.

When i bought it, the price was not all that much different for both models.  Cannot say the same now...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top