Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 8:13:00 AM EDT
When I sell stuff on EE and others, I always do delivery confirmation.

But how accurate or reliable is it really, in terms of progress updates etc?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Not great for tracking purposes, but very reliable if you are just trying to see if it's been delivered.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:15:33 AM EDT
[#2]
its accurate after its delivered.
it will say delivered.

thats about it
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been in the back yard, come inside and check the status. it said delivered, and bam it was there. It must update every few minutes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not great for tracking purposes, but very reliable if you are just trying to see if it's been delivered.

+1

I hate their system

I like to see where my box is/has been.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I hate their system

I like to see where my box is/has been.

it's retarted sometimes and it's inconsistent in updates also since i use it a lot.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#6]
An excellent example for how poorly a Government institution does a job that private industry does eleventy hundred billion times better.

Gives you no information other than 'Yes' a tracking number has been issued for this package. And at some point after it's been delivered (in my experience it has been anywhere from a couple of hours to several days) the tracking info will say that it has been delivered.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it will say delivered.

thats about it

this...but its cheaper then brown...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd say its hit or miss as far as tracking.  Usually its scanned at each stop and it shows the updated status online, but sometimes it doesn't show anything until it actually delivered.   Its $0.19 when you buy postage online thru paypal, although it used to be free when you did that.

Overall, I'm okay with it.  It won't, however, stand up against a paypal claim if you have a dishonest buyer.  You need signature confirmation for that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
tracking is 50-50, actually being delivered 100% in my experience
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
it's more of a delivery notification than anything.

I like it when it says "arrival scan" it just doesn't tell you where....gets you excited then you don't get the package for two more days.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
it will say delivered.

thats about it

And Priority Mail is much faster than Brown..as fast as 2 days coast to coast for about the same price
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it will say delivered.

thats about it

And Priority Mail is much faster than Brown..as fast as 2 days coast to coast for about the same price

i mailed off my package friday and it's weds, still not delivered yet - from Ohio to Atlanta.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
after navigating the fucking phone tree on the USPS customer service line i get a live person - on her computer it's there at the intended destination - but it's not updated online.

lame.
but it's .gov
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#14]
UPS is gps verified.  Don't know about USPS.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never had a problem with USPS delivery confirmation showing accurately confirming delivery.   I have had several issues where absolutely no information was posted/available until it was actually delivered.   If you want confirmation it's delivered, you will be fine.  If you want to track progress, it's not your friend.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Not great for tracking, but it will tell you when the package has been delivered.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#17]
its not I had one mailman do a driveby delivery and it was noted as delivered on the computer and I guess it was.

But the dude barely slowed down.  Flung my box out the window and he did have good aim because he hit the mailbox post.

It settled on my lawn and it sat there basically in the middle of the street for anyone to come by and pick it up.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Packages only get scanned when they got through a sorting facility. Its not like the person delivering the mail scans it before it gets put in your mailbox.

It has been reliable for me in terms of seeing that a package has been delivered. Where it is during the shipment process not so much.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Bad thing about it is that yes, it has been delivered.  Wrong address?  Tough shit, its been delivered!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:27:08 AM EDT
[#20]
USPS Delivery Confirmation overall is good.  It is not perfect, but it is good enough for me.  It is very good with Priority Mail; as far as First Class it usually only says the item was accepted and then shows when it was delivered, although not instaneous.  Priority often shows the package progress but not always.  The biggest benefit to Deliv Conf is the items tend to get where they were sent!

As far as Priority being a bit slower these days, it is most likely due to downsizing.  I will not say streamlining!  They are closing large mail sorting facilities and consolodating their operations with facilities hundreds of miles away.

As far as them considering closing Saturdays, I think it is a done deal as many smaller rural Post Offices are adding additional drop boxes to handle the weekend traffic.

I use the Post Office a lot because it is the only way for me to ship guns.  I am no where near a UPS hub or FedEx outlet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#21]
been pretty good for me..   although it has made it feel like it takes twice as long b.c your package sits in fucking indiana for an extra day for fucking reason,,.,,  asshats.

its like watching a clock.. seems like it takes forever!
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:28:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

x2. It is absolutely terrible if you are using it for tracking purposes.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
An excellent example for how poorly a Government institution does a job that private industry does eleventy hundred billion times better.

Gives you no information other than 'Yes' a tracking number has been issued for this package. And at some point after it's been delivered (in my experience it has been anywhere from a couple of hours to several days) the tracking info will say that it has been delivered.

An accurate description of my experience.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bullshit. They told me they "delivered" my RC truck tires ($85 tires). Delivered to a locked box that only me and the postal carrier have the key to. Never saw the tires. Ever.

They gave me a run-around, eventually accusing me of trying to scam the post office for the value of the tires! Then i mentioned they weren't insured, merely delivery confirmation. WTF?

They said they would start an investigation. That was 4 years ago. Used to call once a week asking about updates (at that point i had given up, just wanted to be a thorn in their side). The "officer" (HA!) told me after 3  months to never call again or he would file harrassment charges.

Fuck the USPS and their shitty ass service.

weak-rant off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top