Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 7:39:52 AM EDT
with my 9yo nephew and they ran a long preview for "AVATAR" by John Cameron. I'm just wandering what fucking genius in fucking Hollyweird thought that making the US Marine Corps the BAD GUYS is going to be a recipe for a successful movie???

Anyways,  here's the preview. I mean, the whole tree hugger, think green, touchy feely bullshit is bad enough...

Vampire's Assistant was...okay...John C. Reilly as the lead, though, was one of the worst casting ideas EVER!

ETA: Fixed link...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
with my 9yo nephew and they ran a long preview for "AVATAR" by John Cameron. I'm just wandering what fucking genius in fucking Hollyweird thought that making the US Marine Corps the BAD GUYS is going to be a recipe for a successful movie???

Anyways,  here's the preview. I mean, the whole tree hugger, think green, touchy feely bullshit is bad enough...

Vampire's Assistant was...okay...John C. Reilly as the lead, though, was one of the worst casting ideas EVER!

Copypasta fail.  That link is most definitely not an advertisement for Avatar.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:53:09 AM EDT
[#2]
HD trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Even with those messages, it'll be an epic on the big screen.  I'll definitely see it.

While adults can sort through the propaganda, it is troubling that these messages and false stereotypes will hit home with the youth that see this...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Looks lame to me
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
eh, it looks kinda boring to me.

Who wants to look like a fish. Why didnt they just use actual weapons. Like a nuke... fucking tools.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Whatever.  How was Vampire's Assistant?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Even with those messages, it'll be an epic on the big screen.

I disagree, I think it's going to be horrible.  Maybe if the CGI were convincing, but it isn't.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
John C. Reilly as the lead, though, was one of the worst casting ideas EVER!
[/img]

Yeeeah, I gathered that from the previews. Him as a vampire with that bushy curly head of hair just dosnt sell me on it
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even with those messages, it'll be an epic on the big screen.

I disagree, I think it's going to be horrible.  Maybe if the CGI were convincing, but it isn't.

Most of the shots in the trailer aren't finished quite yet. You can pick out a few things wrong with about half of the shots. That being said, they have improved many of them from the first teaser to this trailer.

Half of the problem is the design direction....there is nothing wrong with it but in an effort to create an alien environment, you end up with a lot of things that your eyes don't handle well. Hell, the plants were originally supposed to be all blue and purple but I see they shit-canned that idea likely due to how "fake" it looks.

Aliens like the Na'vi will never look quite real to our eyes, even if one existed and was standing in front of you. They are bright blue 8-9 foot humanoids with 20 inch waists for crying out loud.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I cannot tell if Vampire's assistant is supposed to be a straight vampire movie,  or a doofus goofy comedy. john c reilly tells me it's supposed to be a caricature of a vampire movie/comedy but the adds don't really say that, they try to pull it off like a straight up serious vampire movie.

which one was it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Ranks right up there with GI Joe not being an American.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
i saw a FREE sneak pre-view of Vampire's assistant and i still want my money back.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

ETA: Fixed link...

FYI...five minutes on the internet indicated that the Marines are NOT the bad guys. What look like Marines are called SecFor....likely a private or government provided security force working for the mining corporation . If this is correct, that would make the main character...a crippled Marine, the good guy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i saw a FREE sneak pre-view of Vampire's assistant and i still want my money back.

Congrats, you've got it all back! *poof*

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I cannot tell if Vampire's assistant is supposed to be a straight vampire movie,  or a doofus goofy comedy. john c reilly tells me it's supposed to be a caricature of a vampire movie/comedy but the adds don't really say that, they try to pull it off like a straight up serious vampire movie.

which one was it?

It's not a caricature or a spoof. The premise of the story is that the lead human and his best friend are destined to be the deciding factors in the fate of all mankind. There's a war brewing between the "Vampanese", vicious murdering vampires and monsters who seem to be borderline zombies and the regular vampires who've learned to live with humans. It's quirky, with Reilly's vampire speaking colloquial english and so forth. Here's a wiki explaining it:  http://cirquedufreak.wikia.com/wiki/Cirque_Du_Freak:_The_Vampire%27s_Assistant

It leaves everything hanging at the end so I guess they're working on a sequel (this is a series of books). Pissed my nephew off though...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top