Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 4:30:18 AM EDT
I'm helping out a friend with a small network and I'm having the darndest time with trying to connect a printer over the network.

We have 3 XP computers over the network, with a HP Laserjet 8000N printer hooked up to one of them. Due to the age of the printer I we have it hooked up to the computer with a DB25 parallel to USB adapter. I've set the printer to share with everyone and all the computers are in the same workgroup. When I try to add the printer from the second or third it cannot connect to the computer. I've tried adding it locally with a custom port, and when I try adding it as a network printer I can see the first computer and printer, but it won't let me connect.

Can anyone help me figure this out?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like a user rights/permission issue.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:38:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you logged on as admin on all the boxes?
Check "permissions" on the printer (everyone etc).
On the printer share, is it set to allow access for everyone?
Add the non local computer/user to the user manager on the box w/printer.
reboot

eta disable any firewall services.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is an 8000N it should have a network port already in it.  If not, go get a JetDirect 170x and use that to connect it to the network.  Avoid simply sharing a printer off from a workstation, that is never a good plan.

If you HAVE to do it that way, then I agree with others who said there is a permissions issue somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
OP -

You need to make sure the computer connected to the printer has the same usernames and passwords added to the accounts list, that users use to login to the other computers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm helping out a friend with a small network and I'm having the darndest time with trying to connect a printer over the network.

We have 3 XP computers over the network, with a HP Laserjet 8000N printer hooked up to one of them. Due to the age of the printer I we have it hooked up to the computer with a DB25 parallel to USB adapter. I've set the printer to share with everyone and all the computers are in the same workgroup. When I try to add the printer from the second or third it cannot connect to the computer. I've tried adding it locally with a custom port, and when I try adding it as a network printer I can see the first computer and printer, but it won't let me connect.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Oh man, I remember this  HP nitemare myself.... I have personally given up on HP...

But I believe you set up a USB port in the printer ports list and give it an IP....

But if its got a CAT5 port hook it that way and let it dhcp an IP each time it hits the network.

If you set a static IP, go in and add the printer as a network printer on each PC... make sure the router allows that IP in its ranges.

I believe its the whole USB connection that is the biggest problem here but I may be wrong...

Ive grown to HATE HP... they have become total Crap.

Start here
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the info fellas, this suddenly became increasingly complex

I'll have to try this out tonight (still at work right now, thank got for JRS)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If it is an 8000N it should have a network port already in it.  If not, go get a JetDirect 170x and use that to connect it to the network.  Avoid simply sharing a printer off from a workstation, that is never a good plan.

If you HAVE to do it that way, then I agree with others who said there is a permissions issue somewhere.

This. I have a JetDirect Laser(cannot remember the model) on our home network. Run it from the network, not shared off a PC.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top