Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/3/2009 5:53:27 PM EDT
Here in Tuscaloosa I could drive like I wanted for the first 20 days of the month. Now I see em every day running radar ,sitting at Stop signs. Nothing like before. I do feel a little safer and I'm glad as I don't speed like I used to. But it just doesn't seem right , tax $$'s go down so they use another way to get it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprisingly, no.  At least in my area.

With most cities and towns in Ohio having their budgets in the shitter due to declining tax revenue, I keep expecting to see a shit-ton more traffic enforcement to rake in fines, but I don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If you think that's bad, try speeding on Old Leeds Rd.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called "Revenue Generation".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.  I drive just over 50 miles one way to work through three different states.  I'm seeing a lot more cops on the road running radar this year than in prior years.

Localities are hurting for $$$ as revenues from sales taxes, property taxes, etc. are all down significantly from prior years.  They're trying to make up the shortfall somewhere...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Always follow the money.
It's nothing more than revenue collection and has nothing to do with safety.   Anyone who says different is a liar.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup... They need revenue.

My brother got ticketed on the freeway, by a motorcycle cop from a town 30 miles away from where he was stopped. 7 MPH over in the fast lane, no traffic.

Have not gotten me yet (knock on wood).

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, I've seen no difference.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
i'm going to court (again) tomorrow morn to dispute a parking ticket. EVERYONE was parked over the line. Me gets the ticket. blatent linage crossed and i get hit. looked at the color pic the city took and the guy tells me they looked like they are parked correctly. thats when i go, of course they are parked correctly to you, you fuckin moron they have Obama stickers on them. guess the "person of color" took offense to that one. we will see what the judge hits me with tomorrow. i'm pleading color bias as i'm tattooed and have an NRA TERRORIST sticker on the side window
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it is a dangerous game they play.  Sooner or later they'll run into some out of work guy down on his luck, and slap a $500 ticket on him.  He just might take offense and decide to do something about it.  

Just sayin'... you don't mess with a guy with nothing to lose.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Our #s are down actually.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I had time to run traffic. With all the unemployed assholes using the economy as an excuse to do dirt, we've been running our butts off. Our call volume has doubled in the last year.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I drive just over 50 miles one way to work through three different states.  I'm seeing a lot more cops on the road running radar this year than in prior years.

Localities are hurting for $$$ as revenues from sales taxes, property taxes, etc. are all down significantly from prior years.  They're trying to make up the shortfall somewhere...

Route 70 through Ohio, WV, to PA?  Or do you cut the corner and take 470?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep,I live in a rural area where you drive from small town to small town on county roads.

The ATCs have been hiding on side streets giving out tickets for not dropping down to 30mph soon enough
when hitting town.

GM
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Always follow the money.
It's nothing more than revenue collection and has nothing to do with safety.   Anyone who says different is a liar.

According to your piss poor statement, it looks like I am a liar then.

We don't get a penny for citations. We typically enforce state laws and the state receives a majority of the money. We aren't funded by the state. There is no budget or kickback for citations. Some even argue the citations can cost more than what the fine is.

I did write one ticket this week though. It was a no insurance in vehicle one, so it will be tossed out if the person finds their insurance. Not a lot of revenue generation on that one. I let the easy money go for doing 25 over the limit too. I must not be a good revenue generator.

Traffic enforcement is about safety, not revenue. Anyone that is doing it other than that, doesn't belong in LE or understand the concept of traffic enforcement.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know about tickets.  But I drove about 550 miles today, and I noticed a whole lot more cops than usual sitting in the median trying to catch people speeding.  I mean a WHOLE LOT more.  I didn't see any on my trip out this AM, but saw at least a dozen cars with radar or laser clocking oncoming drivers on my way back.

No tickets for me, please.  I'll pass.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think it is a dangerous game they play.  Sooner or later they'll run into some out of work guy down on his luck, and slap a $500 ticket on him.  He just might take offense and decide to do something about it.  

Just sayin'... you don't mess with a guy with nothing to lose.

Oh you are right...... the police should not do anything out of fear they might run into someone that wants to commit a crime

Had one of those last night. He was down on his luck, facing some federal indictments and was ready to fight. A tough gang banger. According to your logic, I should have ran because I may come into contact with someone like that. Oh well, not doing my job and protecting the public won't be stopped by using your "paranoid" way of thinking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Gotta make revenue some how.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Wait...............wasn't there a thread today on.............

Pay For Performance?

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still not writing any tickets.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

For centuries when the king needed more money they sent his henchmen out to fleece the peasants. Today the city sends it's legions of police and inspectors out to do the same.

And they sure are doing it here...

plus cameras are going up all over.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.

We don't get a penny for citations. We typically enforce state laws and the state receives a majority of the money. We aren't funded by the state. There is no budget or kickback for citations. Some even argue the citations can cost more than what the fine is.

I did write one ticket this week though. It was a no insurance in vehicle one, so it will be tossed out if the person finds their insurance. Not a lot of revenue generation on that one. I let the easy money go for doing 25 over the limit too. I must not be a good revenue generator.

Traffic enforcement is about safety, not revenue. Anyone that is doing it other than that, doesn't belong in LE or understand the concept of traffic enforcement.

I never said the local PDs got the revenue, some do, some don't but the bottom line is SOMEONE sure does get the money.  
And please explain how a monetary fine increases safety.  I remember the owner of a dealership I worked for coming into the office and tossing his tickets on the desk of the accounting girl and telling her "pay em"
He drove however he wanted and just paid the ticket as a cost of doing as he damn well pleased.  Now the POINTS and the possibility of LOSING his license, THAT promotes safety.
Tell me this, what promotes safety more, a meter maid hiding in the bushes with a radar gun or a visible patrol car on the side of the road ?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tell me this, what promotes safety more, a meter maid hiding in the bushes with a radar gun or a visible patrol car on the side of the road ?

So, you are saying you need the visible presence of an officer to obey the law?

I would say the hidden officer would, as it would cause people to always wonder if there was a cop ahead. Knowing they hide, people would be more observant and probably actually not speed, run lights, etc.

Personally, I can park right on the side, on an island, or in a turn lane to run radar. Still plenty of people doing 20 over for me to stop. Yep, 20 is my usual, unless it is slow, then it might go to 15.

On a sidenote, even with my lights on, morons will speed right by.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Never been about "SAFETY" and never will be.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Route 70 through Ohio, WV, to PA?  Or do you cut the corner and take 470?

I-81 from WV through MD into PA.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you are saying you need the visible presence of an officer to obey the law?

I would say the hidden officer would, as it would cause people to always wonder if there was a cop ahead. Knowing they hide, people would be more observant and probably actually not speed, run lights, etc.

Personally, I can park right on the side, on an island, or in a turn lane to run radar. Still plenty of people doing 20 over for me to stop. Yep, 20 is my usual, unless it is slow, then it might go to 15.

On a sidenote, even with my lights on, morons will speed right by.

No, I'm saying a visible presence slows people down.  If you're driving and see a patrol car up ahead, people slow down increasing safety.
I have no problem with busting speeders, red light runners, DWIs etc...  My problem is with the use of monetary fines collected under the guise of safety when they are nothing more than revenue collection.
AND I DO have a HUGE problem with cameras of ANY kind run by private contractors in a for profit scam.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.

There is too much logic and truth in this post that will be wasted on the GD.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my first ticket Thursday.

Not even sure what to do. The officer said I can go to traffic school to viod it and I will have a clean record, but I have to go to court on Dec. 1?

Funny thing is, I have to go to Jury Duty on Dec. 1 to. I can void the jury duty thing though.

Either way it won't be fun. How much does traffic school cost anyways?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here in Tuscaloosa I could drive like I wanted for the first 20 days of the month. Now I see em every day running radar ,sitting at Stop signs. Nothing like before. I do feel a little safer and I'm glad as I don't speed like I used to. But it just doesn't seem right , tax $$'s go down so they use another way to get it.

I've been wondering when the Alabama Department of Revenue and the Alabama Department of Public Safety were merged. I've noticed a LOT of new unmarked Dodge Chargers and Ford Expeditions on the road. The only way you notice them is when they're running lights. I'm all for enforcement but this shift seems to be zero on deterrence and all about revenue collection.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Somebody getting a ticket for doing 85 in a 60 and weaving in and out of traffic, running a light, tailgating, driving drunk, etc = safety enforcement

Somebody getting a ticket for having a vehicle 20 feet off pavement on private property, for parking in their own driveway but not in their garage, or for doing 64 in a 60 but being accused of doing more and recieving a $300 ticket which they won't fight because they live 3-4 hours away = revenue generation

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+2.  It's all about $$$.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Sheriff's deputies on a small dinky highway around here have been having a fucking field day.  I had to stop speeding unless I could follow someone faster (which I did, and I watched them get pulled over right in front of me) .  Other than them, enforcement is up across the board around here, I've seen a much heavier police presence for the past 9 months or so.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
YES! Big time, i drive several hundred a day and was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#35]

No.  I drive mainly highway, and the State Troopers and the Sheriff's do not seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always follow the money.

You are a liar or very naive.
I drive a Truck and we see the weigh stations close when you guys get your quota.

Don't bother telling us it isn't first and foremost about the quota, it's part of your job performance rating.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Interesting post.  I think for every ticket I write, my department gets just under 1% of the fine.  The rest goes to the state.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#38]
SSSOOOOOO???
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I've seen the local cops working the freeway feeder roads just after the commute is over (9:00AM-10:00AM), I presume hoping to get the tardy guys like myself. They haven't gotten me, yet.

These are roads that are already marked 45, but during the commute, everyone does 55 (and they're safe at 55, as these are semi-country roads).

They work in pairs, one on a motorcycle and the other in an automobile.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For centuries when the king needed more money they sent his henchmen out to fleece the peasants. Today the city sends it's legions of police and inspectors out to do the same.

Don't run the red lights and you won't get tickets.  I've never gotten anything from them.  They have pictures of the lights before you enter the intersection.  Not much to complain about.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

YES! Big time, i drive several hundred a day and was thinking the same thing.

How many tickets have you gotten in the past year?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I seem to see fewer being written.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't run the red lights and you won't get tickets.  I've never gotten anything from them.  They have pictures of the lights before you enter the intersection.  Not much to complain about.

Are you really arguing FOR red light cameras?  Here?  Good luck finding a sympathetic ear.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#44]
You feel safer?  WTF?  Are you an old lady of something?  

I drive 150 miles to work and you better believe the police are out in force.  

They like money, just as we all do.  Difference is, they have the power to take it.  Legally.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Interesting post.  I think for every ticket I write, my department gets just under 1% of the fine.  The rest goes to the state.

Please explain how that is significant?   I have heard it before, and I honestly don't understand the logic behind the comment.  

The State and Local governments need revenue.  They tell your boss to increase revenue.  So you go out and get it.  It's not difficult to understand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#46]
I actually write fewer tickets now because people are hurting. I suck as a traffic cop anyway. I make stops to arrest bad guys not for revenue. I write lots of warnings. Unless the violation is dangerous.  We (the cops) do not get a penny of the fines.The state gets the majority. Now if I got 20%...game on suckers  Just kidding.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain how that is significant?   I have heard it before, and I honestly don't understand the logic behind the comment.  

The State and Local governments need revenue.  They tell your boss to increase revenue.  So you go out and get it.  It's not difficult to understand.

Who does?  My boss has never told me to go out and write more tickets, and I have never heard someone tell him to tell us to do it.  Your argument is that we go out and write more tickets so we get more money.  Well, we see none of it so it's kind of pointless for us to try and make money that way?  We would make more money standing in the intersection begging for it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#48]
No increase here.  People are driving as if they are on Valium.  And texting at every traffic light.  I leer at the girls until they notice me.  And give the little punks my Billy Idol snarl.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Govts always think in terms of "revenue streams," and not cutting expenses.

Los Angeles City has a line item on the budget that is traffic ticket generated revenue.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#50]
licensed to drive in 1981  0 stops till this year. stop 1 in july.   warning . stop 2 october  got ticket for 3 over in a 55 yes I think  LEO has burr up ass.

oh and I deserve tickets everyday of my life.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top