Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 3:53:35 PM EDT
I need to buy a suit this weekend.  Where do I go and what will it cost?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

goodwill, salvation army.

cheap if you don't mind wearing a dead mans clothes.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you give us some more details on where you are located, what is it going to be worn at,  and what your budget is.

Saying you need to buy a suit and asking where to go and what will it cost is like asking you need a car and where to go and what it will cost.  There are used Gremlins and there are new Ferrari's and everything in between.  

The same thing goes for suits.  You could probably rent a suit for as little as $50 bucks or spend as $5,000 without much trouble if you are in a major metro area.

Me personally, I think Brooks Brothers is the best value from a cost vs. quality perspective.  

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you want to look unkempt or well put together? The answer depends on your price point between $99 and $10k.

My practical experience is that in today's dollars expect to spend about a grand for a well, but not perfectly, fitting suit of decent manufacture in the US.

If you have time to send your measurements to Hong Kong you may be able to save half.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
i just bought a suit this past week at a local place for 300 and i get to wear it at my job interview tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a suit I got from JCPenny for like $200.  It is nice enough for me and I look sharp in it.  Besides I have no real need for the high doller stuff
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a suit I got from JCPenny for like $200.  It is nice enough for me and I look sharp in it.  Besides I have no real need for the high doller stuff

Pedro helped Napoleon find a sweet suit for cheap... just sayin...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, I recently went to the local Men's Wearhouse and purchased a complete suit ensemble, including the coat, pants, shirt, tie, shoes, socks, and belt. Total out the door was $534.00. They had a seamstress fit the suit while I was wearing it, and it was tailored and press in less than a week. When you buy from MW, they also tailor, clean and press the suit for as long as you own it.

I bought the suit mainly to wear to court appearances, but it will fill the need during funerals, weddings, and other formal events. My only tip to you is to bring your daily carry/CCW piece with you (if you intend to carry while wearing the suit). I didn't, and I had to get the coat retailored so I could button it.

I was very impressed with the way they handled me. I had a single salesman from beginning to end––he selected several shirt/tie combinations, shoes, etc., and had them waiting for me. I was also in and out in less than an hour, and there was no hassle.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one suit. I wear I to weddings and funrals and other shit I don't wanna attend.  150 @ jc penny.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Do some research, buy a tailored to fit suit that is versatile.  Spend some money on it.  Every man needs one, might as well buy a good one.  Especially if you will ever wear it to a job interview.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got two really high dollar good name suits for a bit more than that from a small locally owned shop just by a couple old guys who started out in the dressmaking business. Tailored and everything.

Macy's had the same brand name for $300 a suit.

OP, find a local suit guy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Men's wearhouse or JC Penny.

Suits go in and out of style, don't think you can buy one and it will be GTG for 10 years.

And yes, I have worked with folks that spend $2k on suits and $500 on ties.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Check Jos. A. Bank's current deals at:

http://www.josbank.com

Stores throughout NJ:

PRINCETON Princeton Market
HAMILTON Shoppes at Hamilton
LANGHORNE Shoppes At Flowers Mills
FLEMINGTON Shoppes at Flemington
NORTH BRUNSWICK The Shoppes at North Brunswick

Good luck, wear it well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The good department stores (Macy's, Nordstrom's, and up) will have good selection, and good prices when they have a sale.

Then, get it tailored. This is the most important part. An ill-fitting $3k suit will still look like crap.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#15]
My suit came from Macy's. I don't remember the brand offhand. I got a really good deal on it - iirc it was ~ $250-300. The guys working in the suit departments (as opposed to most of the other departments) have always been very friendly and professional. They also recognize the guys like me (and OP, probably) who have no idea what they're looking for and want to get this over with as soon as possible.

ETA: After the interview I bought it for, I haven't worn it since.. but it's still nice to have formal wear in case you need it or want to go out for a fancy night on the town.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Brooks Brothers
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Men's Warehouse.  Helped me out twice.  Good cloth, good tailoring, good pricing.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Men's wearhouse or JC Penny.

Suits go in and out of style, don't think you can buy one and it will be GTG for 10 years.

And yes, I have worked with folks that spend $2k on suits and $500 on ties.

You're telling me the seer sucker suit and straw hat I bought while watching Darrin McGavin in "Kolchak, The Night Stalker" aren't still in style?!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

goodwill, salvation army.

cheap if you don't mind wearing a dead mans clothes.

i thought they couldnt resell those because of the chemicals used in embalming?

good will and salvation army are hit or miss, but i do know a guy who got a $1200 armani suit for 25 bucks and spent 50 to get it altered.

that said, i just got one (my old one has holes from moths ) from men's wharehouse and they had a sale buy one get one for 100. it was a calvin kline i think and cost 399 (thanks mom and dad for the early bday gift )

also saw an add on tv for banks but they never have my size (im long)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Men's Wearhouse.

Suits from $2-600 and they can usually have them tailored within a day or two if you really need it that quick. I've tailored suits the same day while people waited in situations that warranted it before.

<––––––––Former MW manager.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are wearing a suit it is because you want to make a good impression. Why not spend a little bit more on a good suit so you can make the best impression you can.  I have found that Brooks Brothershas several nice suits which will not break the bank.  

James
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Men's Wearhouse.

Excellent service, no pressure, lot's of styles.
and lifetime tailoring.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Another Men's Wearhouse customer here.  I bought two basic (2 button, same suit in dark blue and charcoal) business suits there last week for a residency interview this The guy said they'd definitely be ready before then, but that they'd probably be done tomorrow.  Regular price was $400, but the suit was on sale (they always have some sale going on) for 50% off and the second one was only $100.  The guy also did the whole shirt/tie combo sales pitch and got me.  I really liked one shirt/tie combo and ended up getting it for a total of $95.  They also have a frequent buyer's card where you get a $50 gift card for every $500 you spend.  If you're not looking for a super high end suit, i really don't think you can go wrong with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top