Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/3/2009 1:06:02 PM EDT
I'll post pics of the damage to my wife and daughters cars when I get home from work.

UPDATE 11/23 -  ZW17 and twckxbzd came over and helped me install the camera yesterday.  While there ZW pointed out that they came back and hit my daughter's passenger side too.  I took more pics and will post 'em as soon as I get the damn software loaded correctly so I can show you guys some screen shots.  Took some pics of the install too and it's a really nice clean job IMO (Thanks to ZW and alphabet soup!)  

Problem with the software is that it says it's loaded, but we can't find it.  There's an icon on the desktop but it's just a picture.  I'm leaving work early today and calling tech support in the hopes that someone who speaks decent Engrish can help me get this thing up and running.  FWIW the camera is powered up.  As soon as it got dark the IR lamps glowed soft red, so if I can just get the software loaded properly we should be in business!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice is don't go wireless.  The range of the camera system I bought was terrible, reception varied with the weather, and I've regretted buying them since the day I installed them.  I'll be getting wired units soon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Survival Forum Epic CCTV Thread by TheGrayMan

someone will post it eventually. I've bought some wireless systems,  they have SUCKED
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't do wireless... you'll regret it.

ETA:  that thread that crashburnrepeat linked above will probably answer a lot of your questions.  A lot of ARFCOMers have weighed in on that one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ETA:  that thread that crashburnrepeat linked above will probably answer a lot of your questions.  A lot of ARFCOMers have weighed in on that one.

Thank you crashburnrepeat and thank you Doc!!!!!  I'm reading the entire thread now - essentially all I need is one camera with good night vision capability and resolution, and a recording device.  Just enough coverage for the driveway which is probably only 22' wide and 30' long.  Could you recommend me specifics?  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you crashburnrepeat and thank you Doc!!!!!  I'm reading the entire thread now - essentially all I need is one camera with good night vision capability and resolution, and a recording device.  Just enough coverage for the driveway which is probably only 22' wide and 30' long.  Could you recommend me specifics?    

Depends on what you're willing to spend, brother.

The pixels-per-foot thing is a good way to think of it.  Page 2 of that CCTV thread gives you a rough idea, and to cover a driveway with good detail, a single megapixel network cam paired with an illuminator would do ya.

This megapixel camera, for instance, is shown on page 2::

that's 1280x1024 (ARF automatically resizes it... it's actually bigger than that).  If you figure a driveway 22ft wide, at about 50 pixels per foot, you're right about where you'd want to be.  That camera has some included IR LEDs, but they're weak, and would work best paired with an illuminator.

ETA: if you have NVGs, you'll be amazed as what that illuminator will do for you.  I have some NVG videos with illuminators on page 14 of the big CCTV thread, but they are best-case (full moonlight, gen III goggles).  I'll probably do some more here in a few weeks with something a bit more challenging... maybe Gen II and no moon.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#8]
tag for info and future pics to be pissed about.

I hate vandals!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The pixels-per-foot thing is a good way to think of it.  Page 2 of that CCTV thread gives you a rough idea, and to cover a driveway with good detail, a single megapixel network cam paired with an illuminator would do ya.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/CCTV%20pics/Plate-chart.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/FrontActi.jpg

that's 1280x1024 (ARF automatically resizes it... it's actually bigger than that).  If you figure a driveway 22ft wide, at about 50 pixels per foot, you're right about where you'd want to be.  That camera has some included IR LEDs, but they're weak, and would work best paired with an illuminator.

ETA: if you have NVGs, you'll be amazed as what that illuminator will do for you.  I have some NVG videos with illuminators on page 14 of the big CCTV thread, but they are best-case (full moonlight, gen III goggles).  I'll probably do some more here in a few weeks with something a bit more challenging... maybe Gen II and no moon.

I want the megapixel camera, with the IR illuminator that you got on e-bay that you seem to be happy with.  Can you suggest manufacturers & part #'s?  I'll still need a power supply and DVR correct?  My car insurance has a 500.00 deductible, and between the bike thefts etc it seems spending a grand or so on a reliable system will probably pay dividends when I can catch these assholes and get them in court where I can collect on my damages.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
A dog.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I want the megapixel camera, with the IR illuminator that you got on e-bay that you seem to be happy with.  Can you suggest manufacturers & part #'s?  I'll still need a power supply and DVR correct?  My car insurance has a 500.00 deductible, and between the bike thefts etc it seems spending a grand or so on a reliable system will probably pay dividends when I can catch these assholes and get them in court where I can collect on my damages.

You're probably looking at $500 for the Acti camera (the bullet model includes built-in IR LEDs).  That will be the most expensive part of the system... and if you have a computer anywhere on your home network, the Acti camera comes with its own NVR software to record motion, action, etc to the local hard drive.  I've not used the software, but it is included.  That would save you from having to buy a DVR, and IIRC, it comes with a power supply.   You'd only need to plug it into your router at home (you'd need a network cable of the appropriate length).

The Acti model number is ACM-1231... I bought my last one from a seller on Ebay.

ETA: IM sent
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Survival Forum Epic CCTV Thread by TheGrayMan

someone will post it eventually. I've bought some wireless systems,  they have SUCKED

Recommended.  A very good thread!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently went with a wireless camera that connects to a standard TV set for remote monitoring behind my house.  No recording capability, but it does what I want - which is allow me to check immediately what is behind my house from my bedroom at night time, saving me from having to walk to the other end of the house.

Wireless reception on the TV monitor is not "perfect" but it is very acceptable for what I want it to do.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're probably looking at $500 for the Acti camera (the bullet model includes built-in IR LEDs).  That will be the most expensive part of the system... and if you have a computer anywhere on your home network, the Acti camera comes with its own NVR software to record motion, action, etc to the local hard drive.  I've not used the software, but it is included.  That would save you from having to buy a DVR, and IIRC, it comes with a power supply.   You'd only need to plug it into your router at home (you'd need a network cable of the appropriate length).

The Acti model number is ACM-1231... I bought my last one from a seller on Ebay.

Nice!  Thanks Doc!  FOund them for 610.00 on ebay so far.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#15]
sharkie - too bad you didn't have your AAC and hiding in the bushes.

i handled your rig at rick's - really nice! my m4 is sitting in his safe also.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought you were asking for affordable?

How many cameras do you want?  Just one?

Factor in the DVR cost as well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is affordable IMO as everytime these hood rats key my cars it costs me a 500.00 deductible.  No DVR needed with that model - software interfaces the camera with my PC.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is affordable IMO as everytime these hood rats key my cars it costs me a 500.00 deductible.  No DVR needed with that model - software interfaces the camera with my PC.  

Ok, I hope you catch the shit stains.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WTF? I hate vandals..........

Maybe you need your upper back at your house!  

Say the word if you need help installing the security system.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Sharkie we need to pay someone a visit?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#22]
You've been given some great advice so far but I will also add that the camera is the most important part of the equation.  I spent alot of money on a nice dvr card and the went cheap on the cameras.  I am almost done replacing all the original cameras I bought with more expensive, better quality ones that you are actually able to recognize what is going on with them.  

Don't cheap out on the cameras.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#23]

vandals

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
You can get that camera for 60 bucks cheaper here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACTi-ACM-1231-ACM1231-IP-Fixed-PoE-Camera-with-IR_W0QQitemZ190242240755QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&itemid=190242240755

Those guys are GTG... I think they are actually the people who sold me my Acti dome

ETA: and vandals and thieves make my blood boil... happy to help out on this one
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF? I hate vandals..........

Maybe you need your upper back at your house!  

Say the word if you need help installing the security system.

Thanks buddy.  Boomer just called and I told him this type of work is as far away from my comfort zone as I can get, so I might need ya!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know jack shit about security camera systems, but I figure if we get the local crew in on it, we can figure it out.

Plus, having 10 shady looking gun guys wandering around your front yard giving everyone who passes the stink eye may not hurt....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I don't know jack shit about security camera systems, but I figure if we get the local crew in on it, we can figure it out.

Plus, having 10 shady looking gun guys wandering around your front yard giving everyone who passes the stink eye may not hurt....

Agreed!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]
any clue to who might have done it? i would be so pissed

and stop by Sam's Club if you are a member, there's two systems on display.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have reason to believe it's the same hood rats who my wife caughtheft in stealing Austins bike.  They were VERY upset that she dared interfere with their theft in progress, and tlod her that "I'll stab you, you white bitch."  Instead they stabbed her car with keys - both sides, and my daughters drivers side.  We've had no beef with anyone else.  But I don't know ehre they live - cops couldn't find em.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Shark,

Let me know what help you need with the camera system. I have hooked a few up myself and would be willing to lend a hand.

I have a good IR security cam sitting in storage if you want to borrow it. It's not rated for outdoor use but if you have a good overhang or rain proof area on the house we could mount it.

Let me know.

~Z

Thanks Z.  I'll be decisive and get this going before it gets too much colder & before the cars get fixed, as I know they're going to do it again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have reason to believe it's the same hood rats who my wife caughtheft in stealing Austins bike.  They were VERY upset that she dared interfere with their theft in progress, and tlod her that "I'll stab you, you white bitch."  Instead they stabbed her car with keys - both sides, and my daughters drivers side.  We've had no beef with anyone else.  But I don't know ehre they live - cops couldn't find em.  

F*cking hood rats
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

F*cking hood rats

They are just misguided youths, the public school system will turn them around into Rhode Scholars.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have reason to believe it's the same hood rats who my wife caughtheft in stealing Austins bike. They were VERY upset that she dared interfere with their theft in progress, and tlod her that "I'll stab you, you white bitch." Instead they stabbed her car with keys - both sides, and my daughters drivers side. We've had no beef with anyone else. But I don't know ehre they live - cops couldn't find em.

F*cking hood rats

They are just misguided youths, the public school system will turn them around into Rhode Scholars.

Yep - misguided and misunderstood.  When my wife ran down the block after the kid, after he walked into our garage right in front of her and took the bike as she protested, he wrecked the bike and snapped the alloy front wheel rendering it un-ridable.  He then loudly protested saying "I WASN'T STEALING YO BIKE - THAT'S MY BIKE" as he was walking casually away with his friends.  She asked him if it was his bike why was he leaving it there, and that's when he told he he was going to come back and stab her.  He got in her face and my neighbor Ray came out to defend her and the poor misunderstood 'utes walked away yelling racial slurs.  Poor kids had to walk because "their" bike was broken.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#35]
What happened to the cars?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:30:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Sharky,

IM me that info I need and I'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#38]
You might want to look into an infrared game camera.

I just picked this one up today for $169 at Dick's.

Walmart web site shows the same one for $148, but my local one didn't have it.

It can take either still pics or video when the motion detector detects movement.

Infrared, so no visible light from the flash.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What happened to the cars?

Wifes car keyed both sides bumper to bumper - daughters car d/s only.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#40]
if you need only one camera, and need it in place quick, the game cam in a hidden location is a great idea,  as is some of the cameras with built in DVRs they sell at supercircuits.com  there are some cameras there that you can mount that have a build in recorder, you just mount them up and as soon as something happens to the cars,  you pull the camera and dump the footage. I'd make sure they were secured pretty well though.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It can take either still pics or video when the motion detector detects movement.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/DSCF0002.jpg

I thought about these - but don't know about pixelation issues.  I want there to be defined evidence that can be used in a court of law.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm still waiting on pics of said wife and daughter(if she's over 21 ) .................er I mean pics of the damage done to the vehicles!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/capnrob97/DSCF0002.jpg

I thought about these - but don't know about pixelation issues.  I want there to be defined evidence that can be used in a court of law.

Here is a test daytime pic I took with it, waiting for dark, to take some night time test shots.

I haven't set the date and time yet.

ETA: this was the low resolution setting too, it also has high and enhanced resolution.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/CCTV%20pics/Plate-chart.png

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/FrontActi.jpg

Wow, I have the same dead plants on my front porch. What are the odds...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#45]
We have wireless motion sensors around our yard (2 acres) that beep in that house when someone walks by them. Each one beeps a specific number of times so you know where the BGs are. They have worked like a charm for us and we've been able to catch people red-handed.  We also have good cameras mounted under the eaves of the house. We had some serious problems in the past, this has nipped it in the bud, They can't figure out how we know they're in the yard. LOL
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have reason to believe it's the same hood rats who my wife caughtheft in stealing Austins bike. They were VERY upset that she dared interfere with their theft in progress, and tlod her that "I'll stab you, you white bitch." Instead they stabbed her car with keys - both sides, and my daughters drivers side. We've had no beef with anyone else. But I don't know ehre they live - cops couldn't find em.

F*cking hood rats

Yep - misguided and misunderstood.  When my wife ran down the block after the kid, after he walked into our garage right in front of her and took the bike as she protested, he wrecked the bike and snapped the alloy front wheel rendering it un-ridable.  He then loudly protested saying "I WASN'T STEALING YO BIKE - THAT'S MY BIKE" as he was walking casually away with his friends.  She asked him if it was his bike why was he leaving it there, and that's when he told he he was going to come back and stab her.  He got in her face and my neighbor Ray came out to defend her and the poor misunderstood 'utes walked away yelling racial slurs.  Poor kids had to walk because "their" bike was broken.

Damn you need to move.  That sounds like it could have been a lot worse
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#47]
This is just me hand holding the camera with a long exposure time, I assume they will be sharper when mounted to a tree or something.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:29:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is just me hand holding the camera with a long exposure time, I assume they will be sharper when mounted to a tree or something.

Long exposure time will jack up your pictures for anything but a static scene... the longer the exposure time, the blurrier the image of any moving object.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Long exposure time will jack up your pictures for anything but a static scene... the longer the exposure time, the blurrier the image of any moving object.

Yeah, this wouldn't be a good choice for a security camera, but I still want to get some nighttime gator pics with it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, this wouldn't be a good choice for a security camera, but I still want to get some nighttime gator pics with it.  

Still pretty cool!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top