Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 12:39:12 PM EDT
Hawaii!

Said the punk with jailhouse tats standing at my door just now.

I can't wait until my $50 subscription to Ebony magazine arrives!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
oops, wrong kind of magazines
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it would be an awesome practical joke to send a kid around with a box of firearm magazines playing at this.

"I'm selling magazines to raise money for the marching band. I've got 20 and 30 rounders, ar15, ak, and m14 pattern"

Shit if I was a ffl I would actually sponsor the local boy scout troops that way. Sell them the magazines at just above cost and have them go door by door selling them a bit under retail.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
"What am I gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hawaii!

Yea, it's always so obvious they are hardworking college kids just trying to make an honest buck to further their education.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
HAHAHAHA!!!  My wife and I used to get hit hard by these people in Denver...I also remember them from Atlanta, but I guess the client base just is not here in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hawaii!

Yea, it's always so obvious they are hardworking college kids just trying to make an honest buck to further their education.

I just laughed, told him to be careful and then told him I got two months in county for running the same scam last year.

He didn't know what the fuck to say.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My neighbor chased them off our block yesterday.  Same thing - ghetto rats, funding a trip, yada-yada -

He told them to FO
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
They're a dirty bunch of fuckers, for the most part. We lock them up on a $2000 citation for "No Business License."

Yes, $2000.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah or the Russian gal in the $50k suv selling wind catchers to keep American kids off drugs.

Should have seen her face when I said I didn't care if they all died from overdosing.

It's like where do these people come from?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I have watched the magazine scam hood rats being dropped off in suburbia by a handler in a van

the poor kids have no way back to their hood until the van guy returns
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#13]
What's the scam, trying to get credit card info?  or just selling them for cash then never getting the magizine?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the scam, trying to get credit card info?  or just selling them for cash then never getting the magizine?

All of the above in addition to getting checks which get washed and passed later.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Just now answered the door.  A girl with a big Tupperware storage thing was on my step.  I said "Hello", then "no thank you" and closed the door.  Seen them before.  They get dropped off at the end of the street by a very large van.  At the entrance to this area there is a big sign declaring - NO SOLICITING IN THIS COMMUNITY.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#16]
guy is trying to sell the wrong kind of magazines...
you should have asked him if he had any PMAGS....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I get these people about twice a week.   They always close with....."the neighborhood people are *helping me* out and I'd appreciate your assistance...because if I sell 'x' number of subscriptions, I get a free trip to Amsterdam!"    Sad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
oops, wrong kind of magazines

Yep me too!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
How come no one ever comes to my door selling PMAGs?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
They're everywhere....I just had one cross the street to hit me up....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll take ten 30 rounders please.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I usually feel bad enough for them to buy something.  It's not entirely their fault.  When I was in high school I needed a summer job and went to this thing.  It was the van-trip scam.  "Can't leave until we meet our sales goals!"  Fuck that, I hoofed it two miles to a friendly bus stop, to the train station, back home.  Hood rats though they are, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'd prefer not to be doing this shit if it was up to them.

Ended up working in a warehouse, which ended conveniently the week before school started when I needed my head stapled up after messing around with some of the other young guys.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]

i was like

than i was like

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, like the damn dumb ass I am, they got me. Signed up for some gaming magazine for the kid. Waited and waited, seems like months. Then the first Ebony magazine showed up in the mail box. What I get for trying to be a nice guy for a change. Next punk who shows up at my door with this scam is gonna get his teeth knocked out and 12 fucking issues of Ebony jammed up his ass side ways.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hawaii!

thats a great magazine,you will really like it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Had this happen to me this summer while I was interning.  Fuckers showed up to my apartment with a song and dance.  Interupted my gun cleaning and reloading as well as my steak grilling.  I was too nice to tell them not so nicely to leave and they wouldn't take no for an answer.  Finally got them to leave.  Burned my god damned steak it took so long!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#27]
They are exploited kids at best, con artists/criminals at worst. Burglaries always seem to go up when they're in our area.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#28]
The last one I had wouldn't take no for an answer.
He told me I could write a check then proceeded to show me a "check" written by his previous customer.
It was for 100 dollars even. He was selling shit that cost 67 dollars and 120 dollars. When confronted, he stammered and got a door shut in his face.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Selling magazines???
sweet!!

I need 10, AK mags, and whatcha got for an M16????

I had a great BJ from a magazine girl once....wish they still came around
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#30]
When I was in high school I was walking down my street, almost home, when I passed a group of older teens I had never seen before.

My mom told me some "Swedish  sounding" kids had been by selling magazines for college expenses.

I told her they had mastered American English by the time they passed by me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Every time they come to my town the local police run ID checks on all the "salespeople", they normally get at least one wanted for a felony in another state.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of the above in addition to getting checks which get washed and passed later.

also, they case your house or apartment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#33]
"Do you have Pmags? Nevermind, I can probably get them cheaper online, without all this yapping"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
That sucks.  

I only paid 40 bucks for my subscription of Muscle & Fitness from the big boobed girl from Haiti who was raising money for school.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The magazine guys are usually easy to handle... thay all have warrants.

Very true.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd have said I was only interested if they had the M Revision PMAGS in Foilage Green, otherwise GTFO
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I usually just decline and if the get persistent, shut the door in their face.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#38]
They come to our complex all the time.  

One of them I think tried to rob...another actually asked after his sales pitch if I had any drugs I could sell him!

The one that I think tried to rob me gave me some BS story about selling magazines for a trip.  He wouldn't take no for an answer and asked what I was eating.  He kept looking around and then he pushed his way into my apartment.  Having dealt with random crack heads before knocking at my door I already had my CZ-75 in my hand hiding behind the door.

When he pushed his way in he saw what was in my hand and he turned around and bolted....

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#39]
About a month or two ago Kirby Vacuum Cleaners salesmen came around.

I've had Kirby people around before.  As a whole the deal with them is decent.  Let them vacuum and shampoo a room of the house in exchange for them giving you their spiel for selling a $1,000 vacuum cleaner.  The first time I ever met one of them was at my Mothers house when she was still alive.  The salesman did a terrific job of cleaning the dirtiest rug in the house.  But the price tag. My mother and I agreed that if we owned a hotel or some kind of structure that had several rooms to keep clean a Kirby would be an ideal piece of machinery.  So we demurred buying the Kirby.

Flash forward to last year.  Hey guys! Do you still have that offer of cleaning a carpet still stand?  Come right in; I haven’t vacuumed just yet, you’re invited to do your thing.  I’ve met your brethren and while I’m not going to buy your $1,000 machine, you can still clean this carpet.  They left after doing their normally excellent job of cleaning without any hassle.

And a few months ago….Hey, don’t I know you from somewhere?  Yep, here comes Kirby.  Today is Saturday, tomorrow is Sunday, and I’ll be vacuuming then.  You say you’ll vacuum and shampoo my filthy carpet?  Fine by me; get going.  No, I remember you from last year.  I’m still not buying.  The guy who did the work called it in, the boss who I recognized from last year doesn’t understand I know Kirby from two previous encounters.  Or doesn’t want to remember.  Now the poor schmuck that did all the legwork did a very good job of vacuuming and shampooing the rug.  But I’m not going to spend $1,000 for a vacuum cleaner to replace a $50 vacuum that’s doing very well.  Mister Boss didn’t understand that I was slowly losing patience with him.  I had a target that has several bullet homes in it. I brought it down to show Mister Boss he was starting to bug me.  No, I’m not buying the Kirby; hey what do you think of my aim?

So help me if that same guy comes around again, Kirby can still vacuum and shampoo my carpet.  But if Mister Boss so much as steps one foot in my house I’ll aim an unloaded piston at him.  I’ll tell him that while his poor schmuck of a demonstrator can vacuum and shampoo the rug, if he comes in he shall be defined as trespassing and I shall load the gun.  I still Do Not Need a $1,000 vacuum cleaner.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
About a month or two ago Kirby Vacuum Cleaners salesmen came around.

I've had Kirby people around before.  As a whole the deal with them is decent.  Let them vacuum and shampoo a room of the house in exchange for them giving you their spiel for selling a $1,000 vacuum cleaner.  The first time I ever met one of them was at my Mothers house when she was still alive.  The salesman did a terrific job of cleaning the dirtiest rug in the house.  But the price tag. My mother and I agreed that if we owned a hotel or some kind of structure that had several rooms to keep clean a Kirby would be an ideal piece of machinery.  So we demurred buying the Kirby.

Flash forward to last year.  Hey guys! Do you still have that offer of cleaning a carpet still stand?  Come right in; I haven’t vacuumed just yet, you’re invited to do your thing.  I’ve met your brethren and while I’m not going to buy your $1,000 machine, you can still clean this carpet.  They left after doing their normally excellent job of cleaning without any hassle.

And a few months ago….Hey, don’t I know you from somewhere?  Yep, here comes Kirby.  Today is Saturday, tomorrow is Sunday, and I’ll be vacuuming then.  You say you’ll vacuum and shampoo my filthy carpet?  Fine by me; get going.  No, I remember you from last year.  I’m still not buying.  The guy who did the work called it in, the boss who I recognized from last year doesn’t understand I know Kirby from two previous encounters.  Or doesn’t want to remember.  Now the poor schmuck that did all the legwork did a very good job of vacuuming and shampooing the rug.  But I’m not going to spend $1,000 for a vacuum cleaner to replace a $50 vacuum that’s doing very well.  Mister Boss didn’t understand that I was slowly losing patience with him.  I had a target that has several bullet homes in it. I brought it down to show Mister Boss he was starting to bug me.  No, I’m not buying the Kirby; hey what do you think of my aim?

So help me if that same guy comes around again, Kirby can still vacuum and shampoo my carpet.  But if Mister Boss so much as steps one foot in my house I’ll aim an unloaded piston at him.  I’ll tell him that while his poor schmuck of a demonstrator can vacuum and shampoo the rug, if he comes in he shall be defined as trespassing and I shall load the gun.  I still Do Not Need a $1,000 vacuum cleaner.

My mom bought one on those.  10 years later still works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I say it in all these threads...

DON'T GO TO THE DOOR.

See that thing at the end of the sentence? It's called a period. In that sentence its name should actually be said out loud.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Electrolux or Oreck Commercial
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

"What am I gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe?"

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#44]

I still Do Not Need a $1,000 vacuum cleaner.

Then pay someone to do it.

IMO it's kind of dickish to repeatedly sample something you have no interest in, or possibility of buying.

It's not "free".  A poor dumbass schmuck that was suckered into slaving for Kirby is losing time selling.  He's not an employee of Kirby, he's an independent contractor on commission only.

Or maybe I'm reading this wrong?  (not that I don't hate the bastards)

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I had no idea this was a scam. I've had the same kid hit me up twice. Each time he get's pissed when I tell him "no thanks".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Put me down for forty OD Pmags with windows at 10 bucks each.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#47]
And i am like 20 rounders or 30 rounders? he is like I slam door.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yeah or the Russian gal in the $50k suv selling wind catchers to keep American kids off drugs.

Should have seen her face when I said I didn't care if they all died from overdosing.

It's like where do these people come from?

FAIL!

You should have invited her inside for further "questioning".....

*giggity*
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#49]
One day the wife and I where working in the yard. A guy came by saying he was a vet selling magazines so disabled vets would get a copy also. The price was a reguler subscription price but they would send

one to me and one to a disabled vet or hospital. I thought what a great deal and ordered all the ones I normally get and a couple more. About  80-90 bucks worth. I got to thinking as the guy went down the street. He

just didnt look old enough to be a WW 2 vet. Even if he was 17 he looked about ten years short. I though maybe he just young looking all his life but he didnt look loke one of those. So I went for a little walk around the

neighborhood. I didnt see him on the sstreet and thought that was odd. He had not been gone 10 minutes and everyone on the street was home. He was criss crossing thru one street and the next. I think he did this

so anyone getting suspiscious wouldnt see him and call the cops or confront him. So I went looking for his car and found a convertible Buick Electra from Michigan I knew no one in town owned. Went inside and

they called out for the owner and no one came forward. So I walked a half block home and called the police chief. He went one way and I another after he blocked in the guys car with the store truck. Chief found

him first and called me. He didnt have a no cost permit to go door to door to sell magazins. He said he was just selling with no mention of the vet part. He didnt know I was standing behind him. I asked to see his other

form where it shows where the other magazine went. Chief dug thru his stuff then we saw it where he pitched it on the porch. The police chief marched him around and made him give back all the orders. He had

53 averaging around 50 bucks. We would have got our magazine but the vet would not have. This was after after he called the clearing house and found out no deal like that was in effect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top