Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 12:29:48 PM EDT
A friend of mine was trying to buy his first firearm.  They did the background check, and they issued a hold.  They didn't deny his purchase, and the gun store still has his money.  The domestic violence was that he got in a fight with his brother at home when he was about 18.  He was charged but not convicted of domestic violence.  Will he be denied or passed?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not 100% but I think he is hosed...

DV is DV......

Saw the same thing on COPS a few weeks back and the 1st thing I thought was "kiss your gun rights goodbye"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Did they drop the charges????

" If " they did he should be GTG

Is this his first purchase through a FFL?  That might be the reason for the hold-up

sparky
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the 4473 asks for a Conviction of Domestic Violence.

Denials on unconvicted charges would be a simple way to strip gun rights. A liberal prosecutor could just tack DV charges to anything that passed their desk and ruin people en-mass.

Maybe the hold is from a DV entry that didn't have a proper dispostion attached to it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not 100% but I think he is hosed...

DV is DV......

Saw the same thing on COPS a few weeks back and the 1st thing I thought was "kiss your gun rights goodbye"

My gut feeling too. This is a prime example of why many states are changing their DV laws to include a requirement that the relationship has to be an "intimate" relationship in nature. for the longest time in Mich it was current or former co-habitant or child in common. Brother/brother fit under the co-habitant clauses. It no longer does as it has been changed.

J-

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
So would a charge do it?  he was never convicted and received no punishment or fines.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I think/thought it's a conviction only, but it can be a felony or a misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
hell in ohio I see people all the time get charged with DV and It only says they struck a person they knew at there home. Dont even have to live togeather around here to be charged.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You can be "charged" with anything. Convictions are what matters. They did proper procedure by delaying the sale, but he will get to buy his gun.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#9]
It's only on a conviction or some deals where they did not drop it to a lesser charge.

If he has an arrest record (dont we all) but was not convicted or did not plea to it, he will be fine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
He should be ok as long as the charges were dropped and there was no conviction.

More importantly, why does the gun shop have his money? He shouldn't have paid for the gun until the background check came back as a proceed. At least, that's how it works here. (Also assuming he didn't buy online and transfer it)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Update: The DV was pleaded down to disorderly conduct.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
DV should only apply to married couples/ people in a dating or prior dating relationship/ People who have a  child/children together and not family members... This is my opinion..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top