Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 12:15:43 PM EDT
For my wife's birthday present, she wants an mp3 player, and we really don't know much about them one way or the other.
She knows that she doesn't want a touch screen model, but that's about it.  We have several large boxes full of CDs to rip and copy to it, and I have several GBs worth of mp3 and wma files already on my home PC. In addition to that I'm sure she will want to purchase some new music online as well.

So I ask, Ohh great hive mind of AR15.com.... which do you prefer: iPod or Zune ?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#1]
The 160GB iPod Classic is on my wish list this year.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 120GB Zune.  I hate Itunes, if I could use an ipod with out itunes ever existing, I probably would.

The Zune has a pretty good marketplace for videos and music.  They have a napster/rhapsody-esque all you can download per month plan if you want.  The catch is stop playing and it (that downloaded music) stops working.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW my friend has a zune and he can't connect to public wifi for several reasons, while all of us with an itouch can. Other than that I don't know much about them, but I love my itouch.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I wanted a Zune, but got myself a refurbished SanDisk Sansa from TigerDirect.

It has a "wheel and button" control like an iPod and an FM tuner like a Zune.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-view-mp3-players  Similar to mine, they just moved buttons around.  You can get a Sansa e250 like the one I have at Tiger for $30 and cards are cheap.

If I decide to ever replace my Sansa, I'll get this: http://www.sandisk.com/products/sansa-music-and-video-players/sandisk-sansa-fuze...SDhc card capable and takes those SlotRadio cards I've seen at Walmart.

Of the choice between the iPod and the Zune, I'd go iPod.  More universally accepted, but I love my Sansa.  I bought it to take with me when I worked away from home this summer and I took it with me on a flight from Chicago to Minneapolis this past week.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've got a 120GB Zune.  I hate Itunes, if I could use an ipod with out itunes ever existing, I probably would.

The Zune has a pretty good marketplace for videos and music.  They have a napster/rhapsody-esque all you can download per month plan if you want.  The catch is stop playing and it (that downloaded music) stops working.  

paying, ya mean?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Older Zunes kinda sucked, but the new Zune HDs have lots of potential. Look for reviews/recommendations from tech sites, not gun sites.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]
ipod is popular for a reason  - works great and user friendly.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Zune and prefer it to the Ipod.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate Apple. I do have an iPod and it is acceptable. It's the last gen nano 16gb. No problems and I use Winamp to upload and do stuff. That being said, I believe I will be buying a Cowon in the future. They were mentioned in a previous thread and they sound pretty sweet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ipod is popular for a reason  - works great and user friendly.  

I may be a biased, but they really are.

Get an "apple care" program for the ipod and you'll never have any real problems and if you do, Apple will fix it on their dime for 2 years
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Ipod classic is awesome if you don't want the ipod touch (which I have)

Itunes is actually very user friendly for ripping CD's and making playlists.  The Itunes store takes a little getting use to at first but it is really awesome, whenever someone wants to get me something for a holiday or special occasion, I just ask for Itunes gift cards now.

You can preview/buy music, rent and buy TV shows/movies, podcasts are great if your church or a famous speaker you like broadcasts on Itunes, applications are awesome but not usable on a Ipod Classic.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The new ZuneHD is hands down the best player on the market.

I've had Zunes since the 30g "Brick" and I've loved them all.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have only had iPods and I like them alot, but the initial learning curve when they were first out was terrible. I have since learned the software so I don't issues anymore. My last iPod was a 8GB iTouch and never had an issue syncing or anything else with it. Lots of options out there, do your research.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

paying, ya mean?

Yeah that is what I meant.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Gen 1 Zune (30 gb) and it's still going strong three years later.  

The Zune software has improved some, but still is somewhat lacking, but is WAY better than I tunes.  However, there are ITunes alternatives, and to date, none for the Zune.  

The sound quality of the Zune is really good, better than every IPOD I have heard, but not better than my cheap Rio Forge player.  

Zune battery life is just ok, and will only last about 4-5 hours on with moderate video and screen use, though the new ones may be better.  

Formatting video for the Zune can be a PIA, but it will play most mp4, and WMA files, after conversion.  

I have not used the Zune music service, or the WiFi very much, so I can't really comment on that.  

Accessories for the Zune are limited, but more are available now than when it first came out.  If you want to interface with a car stereo and have control over the player, then Ithe IPOD is about the only game in town.  If you have an AUX input, then any player with a 1/8" jack will work, but you must use the player itself for functions.    

If all you want is a music jukebox, then get a cheap Sansa or IPOD Nano, or any other cheap player.    

If you need video, then the new Zune HD looks nice.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Zune?  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#17]
considering the market share of zunes is only like 5-10% and yet they still get more than 20% of the vote here is saying something...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I voted iPod... but, I'm a Mac guy, so, make of that what you will.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Been using a Zune 80 gig for the past 8 months or so with no issues.  Operationally it works great.  I don't buy mp3's so I cant comment on any of that aspect.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But.. "it's got a pocket for your Zune"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Zune and want an Ipod istead....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]
i gots the 8 gig zune recently with car transmitter and carrying case for 70 bux shipped... it plays fucking music and video- wtf do i need it to do...suck my cock?

...dont answer that....

my only beef is 8 gig anit enough.  trust me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away.....  I bought an iPod.  I love it.  Friend of mine then asked if he should get an iPod or a Zune.  I told him to get an iPod.  He bought a Zune.  One week later he returned his Zune and bought an iPod.  Like me, he still has the iPod.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#24]
People bitch constantly about itunes, but I don't know why.  I have never had any problems... Ever...  And I have been using it for years. Please enlighten me because I am sure some of the haters will be in this thread...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Older Zunes kinda sucked, but the new Zune HDs have lots of potential. Look for reviews/recommendations from tech sites, not gun sites.

The new Zunes are amazing even though the new Zune software is a little odd for people like me who are used to the first generation Zune's.

I miss my buttons and circle thingie and still have an issue with the whole touch thing.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Double-tap.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But.. "it's got a pocket for your Zune"

"Why is MING on the front?"
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:34:32 AM EDT
[#28]
ZuneHD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top